Asking for a friend
Sponsored

Skeeter

First Name
Cecil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra #935/1500 ,2019 Toyota Highlander, 2002 VW Turbo Beetle, 1997Mazda Miata, 1986 Mustang SVO
The warranty on my LE included tire/wheel coverage to either professionally repair if possible or replace if the damage to the wheels was not repairable , no limits on useage. I realize that this is not going to help your "friend" now. Not sure where you or your friend are located, but I would locate a good tire/wheel shop and get their opinion. The Discount Tire near me hooked me up with a local wheel repair shop when I damaged a wheel on my ZL1. Sorry to hear about the damage, these cars set so low, it's difficult to see curbs.

JasonO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE
To get a respectable finish on minor to moderate curb rash without much cost:

First step is to find a spray can black satin that matches that is made for metal. There are several that are marketed as for wheels. You can also look at home improvement stores for Rust O’leum or similar. Spray several coats of your attempted match on a piece of cardboard and compare in direct sunlight. Once you find your match, go to step two. If you don’t like the match, spend a few more bucks and try again.

Next thing is to remove the wheel, prep, and sand. Tape off the area as close to the curb rash as possible on all sides. Tape this well with several layers. Spot sand with low grit density sand paper and move up to higher grits in increments. I’d start with 60 and aim to end around 300-400. Wet sanding may help towards the end to get a good finish.

Once you have sanded the area smooth, wipe down the spot. I’d go over it with some IPA to make sure you get any oils off. At this point bag the rest of the tire or partition it off with plastic sheeting that is taped down so you don’t get overspray on the next step.

The last step is to make multiple light passes with the paint chosen. Follow the directions for time to recoat. Remove tape and sheeting, let cure per paint instructions prior to heavy handling such as remounting the tire. Let cure overnight before driving / exposing to moisture.

The greater the curb rash, the better your paint match and prep work will need to be.
Sponsored