Whirring/Whining Noise at High RPM

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I can't really hear it. Does the whining change tone with RPMS or just come and go with high RPMs?

OP
OP
AngelsofVerdun

AngelsofVerdun

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
N/A
I can't really hear it. Does the whining change tone with RPMS or just come and go with high RPMs?
It seems to only come and go at higher RPMs. For example, if I put the car in manual mode and ride out a higher RPM in 2nd gear--the car continues to make the oscillating whining noise. The second I shift to a higher gear, the noise seems to just disappear completely.

This is the best, yet most cheesy way, I can characteristic of the noise:
If you listen to that bus in the video game, the sound in my car is similar, just not as loud our pronounced.

Last edited:

Patar

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Tungsten MK5 Supra (RIP), 2022 Nitro Yellow
I had a whine in my Del Sol a while back and it was due to low/non-existent tranny oil. Hopefully this is not it.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
It seems to only come and go at higher RPMs. For example, if I put the car in manual mode and ride out a higher RPM in 2nd gear--the car continues to make the oscillating whining noise. The second I shift to a higher gear, the noise seems to just disappear completely.
Hrm... is there any perceptible vibration in the drivetrain coming through the steering wheel when this is happening?

OP
OP
AngelsofVerdun

AngelsofVerdun

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
N/A
Hrm... is there any perceptible vibration in the drivetrain coming through the steering wheel when this is happening?
Not that I'm aware of; I tried to be attentive to feedback from the car when it happens. I only notice the noise, honestly.

OP
OP
AngelsofVerdun

AngelsofVerdun

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
N/A
I had a whine in my Del Sol a while back and it was due to low/non-existent tranny oil. Hopefully this is not it.
Apparently, this specific ZF8 implementation is known the leak oil on the early year models of the Supra? :dunno: Unfortunately, I will have to wait day or two before hearing something back. Only having one tech "certified" to look at my car at the dealer definitely increases my wait time.

OP
OP
AngelsofVerdun

AngelsofVerdun

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
N/A
Transmission or differential would make sense. Fuel pump?
Realistically, this is only my second venture into an enthusiast automobile. Before this, I had a 6th Gen 1SS Camaro that seemed bulletproof. Most of my conclusion about issues with this car came based solely on deduction. I am really bummed that the car is having issues at 6k miles; buyer's remorse is starting to kick in for me.

All that was to say, I don't have enough knowledge or understanding to know if it could be the fuel pump.

OP
OP
AngelsofVerdun

AngelsofVerdun

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
N/A
So, the tech just sent me a video with his conclusion and the transmission housing looks bone dry. He said he did not hear anything that sounded abnormal to him either.

Last edited:

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
So, the tech just sent me a video with his conclusion and the transmission looks bone dry. He said he did not hear anything that sounded abnormal to him either.
No fluid in the transmission? That's bad.

OP
OP
AngelsofVerdun

AngelsofVerdun

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
N/A
Aaaaaaahhhhhh ok! Whew
I believe him, as well. The trans looks so clean in the video he sent over to me. To be clear, I was not expecting a video. It seems the service department at my local Toyota has pretty good ratings? Anyways, I think I'm safe to have fun in my car now. lol.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I believe him, as well. The trans looks so clean in the video he sent over to me. To be clear, I was not expecting a video. It seems the service department at my local Toyota has pretty good ratings? Anyways, I think I'm safe to have fun in my car now. lol.
Nice - enjoy!
Sponsored