Vibrations when accelerating at low rpm/high gear (AT)

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Mine makes all kinds of noises now that I added all the SPL suspension upgrades, sway bars, race pads,and springs. It’s my way of thinking she’s meowing at me to take her to the track 😂

Yeah, that rapid shifting to 8th gear is ridiculous. I’d much rather stay in the 2-3k rev range in the lower gears. Even under light acceleration it’s ripping through the gears ⚙ so fast… I totally get that it saves gas mileage but damnnnnnn…..
Sponsored

dn00

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MK7 GTI, A90
I have a '23 AT at 2k miles and never experienced anything like that. The car feels very smooth in normal mode in auto no matter the rpm. I broke the car in by varying the rpms but staying below 4.5k rpm in sport mode manual. Stop babying the car and let her rip a bit, just stay below 4.5k rpm per the manual and vary the rpm until 1200miles. Get an oil change at 1200 as well. The only annoying noise I'm getting so far is the left tweeter grill rattling randomly when I blast music.

I disabled the fake engine noise with bimmercode early on so I don't remember how it was with it enabled, but it's possible that it's causing the vibration.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have a '23 AT at 2k miles and never experienced anything like that. The car feels very smooth in normal mode in auto no matter the rpm. I broke the car in by varying the rpms but staying below 4.5k rpm in sport mode manual. Stop babying the car and let her rip a bit, just stay below 4.5k rpm per the manual and vary the rpm until 1200miles. Get an oil change at 1200 as well. The only annoying noise I'm getting so far is the left tweeter grill rattling randomly when I blast music.

I disabled the fake engine noise with bimmercode early on so I don't remember how it was with it enabled, but it's possible that it's causing the vibration.
That’s good to hear we’re not all in the same boat and you’re digging yours!

I actually tried driving in auto comfort standard mode due to this thread. The poor car 😢…. I felt so bad for it. The RPMs are ridiculously low!!!! This is just my opinion ofc. I didn’t like it at all. Definitely vibration from the low rpms. I‘ve installed upgraded parts so I can feel the car better on track (SPL parts mainly, sway bars, springs). I’m cringing just thinking about it. Like nails on a chalkboard… Yuck!!!!!

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
I've noticed something similar to this.

I get a sort of "deep resonance / vibration" sound when in comfort mode, always around exactly 1200 RPM in 7th or 8th when cruising and just giving a tiny amount of pedal. It is possible it occurs at lower speed but I just don't notice it as much.

It is very easy to reproduce on the highway to work which is 50 mph.

I wouldn't call it a grinding noise personally, but seems very similar to what everyone here is talking about. I guess I feel slightly better it isn't just my car lol.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I've noticed something similar to this.

I get a sort of "deep resonance / vibration" sound when in comfort mode, always around exactly 1200 RPM in 7th or 8th when cruising and just giving a tiny amount of pedal. It is possible it occurs at lower speed but I just don't notice it as much.

It is very easy to reproduce on the highway to work which is 50 mph.

I wouldn't call it a grinding noise personally, but seems very similar to what everyone here is talking about. I guess I feel slightly better it isn't just my car lol.
Here I go again… like a broken record but…. The “normal” automatic mode sucks! It will definitely sound awful, shift really low, the car can handle it but sounds worse than nails on a chalkboard 😖

However, when you slap that puppy (stick) to the left and use the paddles, it‘s more engaging, the car sounds great, you’re in complete control and you don’t even think about it when you get used to doing it. I absolutely love rowing through that beautiful ZF tranny. Vibrations gone, I’m never below 1500 rpm, engine sounds great… Total B58 bliss 🤤

Last edited:

ShakaDaKine

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 TG 3.0
Hey everyone - I picked up a new 2023 3.0 AT and love it so far, however I’ve been experiencing a potential issue when accelerating at lower speeds/RPMs in higher gears. Basically, in automatic/comfort mode, the car likes to sit at 1,000-1,200-ish rpm’s. When the car gets to gear ~5-8 and I accelerate slowly to maintain speed, there can be a fairly noticeable vibration (almost like a grinding sensation) before the car either 1) downshifts, or 2) gets above that RPM range. It’s especially bad in traffic or if I’m cruising at ~mid 30s mph. I brought the car to Toyota and they can’t find any issues (but did notice the transmission fluid was slightly low, however wasn’t leaking - topping this up didn’t solve the problem). They’re trying to track down another supra to see if this is normal behavior for the car or if this is abnormal/there’s an underlying issue. Is this normal? If not, has anyone had this issue? What was the cause if so? Thanks!
[/QUOTE]

So, I took it in to the dealer and they told me it was "normal"...no engine light, no codes, no action on their part, other than to compare it to another Supra that was exhibiting the same behavior. I guess we have to live with it and hope that the drivetrain can handle it, or, as others have stated, drive in manual mode to keep her happy and bog-free.

bushido

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, N180 4Runner
Always been an issue for me, basically the RPM is too low for the load and the engine is bogging. The stage 2 xHP transmission tune fixed it for me by raising the shift points in normal mode to more like ~2k RPM, making it actually usable now.
i'd like to repeat what this gentleman shared. the supra is my daily, so the [stage 2] XHP tune made a HUGE difference in regards to comfort and drivability. at WOT, noticeable difference in decreased delay times when using paddles for shifting. i was never a fan of the shift farts, so also a plus

Andrew__a90

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium Nitro Yellow
Hey everyone - I picked up a new 2023 3.0 AT and love it so far, however I’ve been experiencing a potential issue when accelerating at lower speeds/RPMs in higher gears. Basically, in automatic/comfort mode, the car likes to sit at 1,000-1,200-ish rpm’s. When the car gets to gear ~5-8 and I accelerate slowly to maintain speed, there can be a fairly noticeable vibration (almost like a grinding sensation) before the car either 1) downshifts, or 2) gets above that RPM range. It’s especially bad in traffic or if I’m cruising at ~mid 30s mph. I brought the car to Toyota and they can’t find any issues (but did notice the transmission fluid was slightly low, however wasn’t leaking - topping this up didn’t solve the problem). They’re trying to track down another supra to see if this is normal behavior for the car or if this is abnormal/there’s an underlying issue. Is this normal? If not, has anyone had this issue? What was the cause if so? Thanks!
Same here dude, I think they all do this. I have the AWE track exhaust and AA downpipe so it gets pretty loud for me, listening to music 1/4 the way turned up or rolling down the windows completely eliminates the sound for me. I’ve learned what RPM bands it does this in and just shift early or gas it to pass that RPM band. The other issue I have is vibration in sport mode coming from the hatch but that’s my fault for making the car so much louder. At the end of the day it’s a sports car, everything from a Mustang to a McLaren rattles and has vibrations. I’ve been surrounded by high profile cars my whole life and every single one of them has this. When you hear that rattle, just sit back and think “wait a minute, who cares if it vibrates or rattles, I’m in a MF Supra” 😂

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
The ZF 8HP51 has wretched NVH in the 1000-1300 RPM range. This is especially true in auto/comfort/drive mode, which races to the highest gear and makes NVH even worse. The overdrive gears are very vibrational below 50 MPH, and the OEM TCU tune loooooves those gears at stupid low speeds.

Try this with poly transmission mounts. It's miserable lol.

Kiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 Supra
I had this issue too. Bm3 stage 2 tune. Car would bog in normal auto mode after shifting to 6-8th gear at like 30-40mph. sits at 1000-1400 rpm. Flashed XHP Stage 2 with D mode (Sportive). Issue is no longer there. Driving in normal mode feels so much better.
Sponsored