Whirring/Whining Noise at High RPM

AngelsofVerdun

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
N/A
When downshifting and letting the revs start to fall—or perhaps even just at high RPMs—I hear a terrible whirring/whining noise coming from the car. It does not matter if the exhaust valves are opened or closed. My gut is telling me it might be the transmission.

The car is a stock 2020 3.0 Premium with only 6500 miles on it.

Am I just being paranoid here, or should I go have it checked? I had a shop lined up to install parts and have a tune from Payn queued up. I’m starting to hesitate because of the noise.
Sponsored

A90.C

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra, 2015 BMW 335i
I wouldn’t jump to a bad trans.. Any sound clips?

If you’re really worried ab it, take it to a shop or the dealer, pay the diag fee and have them look it over.

OP
OP
AngelsofVerdun

AngelsofVerdun

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
N/A
I wouldn’t jump to a bad trans.. Any sound clips?

If you’re really worried ab it, take it to a shop or the dealer, pay the diag fee and have them look it over.
I will try to get a sound clip later when driving! I am really hoping it is not an issue with the car at all.
I wonder if my local Toyota dealer does drive-in diagnostics.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AngelsofVerdun

AngelsofVerdun

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
N/A
Going to crawl under the car soon to see if there is a transmission leak. Apparently, that is a common issue. If there is, the whirring/whining is pretty subtle--maybe a sealant/gasket replacement and top off of fluid will fix things. Fortunately, I am unmodded and only used BimmerCode; that should mean easy warranty claim to fix whatever is going on.

A90.C

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra, 2015 BMW 335i
Going to crawl under the car soon to see if there is a transmission leak. Apparently, that is a common issue. If there is, the whirring/whining is pretty subtle--maybe a sealant/gasket replacement and top off of fluid will fix things. Fortunately, I am unmodded and only used BimmerCode; that should mean easy warranty claim to fix whatever is going on.
I had to have the output shaft seal replaced at around 11K miles. Should just be able to look at the pan and see if the trans is leaking. Found mine when glanced at it while doing an oil change. Never had any sounds or anything happen, it doesn’t cause a major leak.

OP
OP
AngelsofVerdun

AngelsofVerdun

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
N/A
I am struggling to capture the sound on video--seems it is too faint. I have scheduled an appointment with dealer on Monday. Hopefully, they can get a good idea of what is going on.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
Best of luck brother!

OP
OP
AngelsofVerdun

AngelsofVerdun

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
N/A
Hey, all. I was able to capture a video where the noise is audible.--let me know what you all think!

OP
OP
AngelsofVerdun

AngelsofVerdun

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
N/A
Car is at the local Toyota dealer today, but I was told there is only one tech there certified to examine the Supras. Most likely, that means I will be waiting a few days before getting my car back with a result. I'm a bit concerned that they might nag at me about the Bimmercode ECU changes I made.

OP
OP
AngelsofVerdun

AngelsofVerdun

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
N/A
Did you code the transmission at all?
Not directly, I enabled the Sport Plus mode. That's the part that worries me the most. While I only tested it once, it was still enabled and activated on the car.

Last edited: