Why is picking an oil so difficult with this car.

RWhiz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Porsche 911 964, Tacoma, 2021 Absolute Zero Premium
Itā€™s not hard to pick an oil for the Supra, itā€™s a German performance car, so purchase an oil appropriately. Itā€™s not a Japanese economy car, donā€™t treat it as

Red Line
Motul
Liquid Moly
Toyota GR, which I think is Liquid Moly

All would work great, once mine is off the ā€œfreeā€ service Iā€™ll use Red Line as I did in all my Porsches.

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra MKV, 86 944 Turbo
Yes, thatā€™s why I used Castrol, but I wasnā€™t sure it met the spec.

TimM.

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra premium
Yes, thatā€™s why I used Castrol, but I wasnā€™t sure it met the spec.
Lol, there'll be no shortage of people trying to get you to buy the high-$ stuff. I was pretty stoked to see that the 0W-20 Castrol Edge had both the API SN and the ACEA C5 certifications on it among the other top industry ratings. If the goal was to go 10,000 miles while driving it hard, it's slightly possible the more expensive stuff will actually provide a little extra protection but, changing your oil more frequently will with 100% certainty give you complete protection. A 5 quart jug for $24.50 is a slam dunk easy choice and I really appreciate you pointing it out because I track the car monthly and change the oil before and after each event. It's cheap overkill and I rest easy knowing the engine has maximum protection. I'm not an automobile engineer but I am an aerospace engineer specializing in aircraft hydraulics so I know a little about these things.

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra MKV, 86 944 Turbo
No doubt. I change oil every 6 months or 3000 miles, so Iā€™m just trying to be safe.

Hexel

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Agree, Amsoil is the best protection ?
Sponsored