Will Supra Go In The Snow?

obito

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I finally decided to go with the Alpin PA4s on stock wheels after going back and forth between picking an A/S as an under 40 degree tire here in VA. I'll let everyone know specifics when I get them installed 2nd week of Dec. I'm gonna copy JAhmed's setup, 255/35/19 + 265/35/19
I was waiting for a genuine experience to test the tires so that I had the necessity to actually drive. Yesterday I visited someone to stay overnight after VA got a huge snowstorm recently. Driving to and from Arlington with mixed snow/ice/slush/sleet on residential, main streets and highways I have not yet lost grip during while the car is moving, failed to grab traction from a dig, or failed to brake in a timely manner. On dry cold pavement they grip superbly well. It is more than adequate for daily driving and comforting knowing the tires are rated for extreme cold. Noise is OK, worse as it's colder and as snow gets packed in the tread, failing to melt quickly.

I did try the tires on 2 inches of fresh powdery snow during the actual storm with blowing wind and I had no slippage or anything you'd expect with tires that are not snow rated, so I was able to get out of my driveway fine. As it's not a free pass to drive fast in inclement conditions, this was based on appropriately slow speeds through residential areas.

At some point I expect to have issues, and there are always materials on the road that will cause slippage or dangerous conditions, but the confidence in winter driving is there.
Sponsored

fuzzysmith

First Name
Smith
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra - Nitro Yellow
Last year, I got buried in a foot plus while in the Washington Cascades. Blizzaks were fine. I was more concerned about ice. Got to experience that last week. There's a light at the top of a hill near me where the stop bar is on about an 8% uphill grade. Was able to get rolling from that without an issue. An Outback behind me (I assume on all seasons) had a far more entertaining experience.

Tomm63

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus RX350, KIA Sportage, Chevy Avalance, Supra
Didn't buy my Supra for it to be stored for 5 months of the year here in Chicago. I put on some Blizzaks and it's been a joy to drive :)
Oh stop, Schitcago doesn't get 5 months of snow for heaven's sake. I'm north of you by 150 miles and just covered up the Supra on December 22nd, it will be back on the road by mid-March. A mere 10 weeks in my 4 wheel drive beater with a heater. She loves me for not letting the salt eat her.

Suggs.OR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nocturnal 2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Nice but then there's this LOL ?

i95-in-virginia-e1641390413601.jpg
It must have been one of those Mkiv supras ?

I would bet this person 1) had the OEM summer tires on and 2) is from the DMV area so they have no idea how to drive in the snow.

Tomm63

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus RX350, KIA Sportage, Chevy Avalance, Supra
Car and Driver opinion of Supra in winter.

Drnick

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra premium
Of course it will!, just put tire chains on it, and use it for a snowplow ?

Supra Guy

First Name
Frans
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
VW GTI
Of course with the right winter tires if will go in the snow. To me itā€™s more about the low clearance of the Supra. I mean sometimes they plow the road but the exit ramp has hard packed snow thatā€™s too high for a Supra even with winter tires to go over. Thatā€™s when I use the VW Tiguan for those days.

Smelliot

First Name
Smelliot
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Bupra
I drove mine after an estimated 3-4 inches of snow with poor conditions and had really no problems. Handled hills surprisingly well and the only issue I had were around the wheel wells which collected lots of snow/ice after over nearly an hour driving. Iā€™m also running ā€œAll seasonā€ Nitto nt555 G2ā€™s (305/265) which have pretty deep tread and definitely helped with handling.

018F3F59-D305-45EC-955D-35E22A8D9CA2.jpeg

FAFFF21E-D778-41EF-B77B-44BB9566CDCB.jpeg
Sponsored

Attachments