T.Go

First Name
Tatsutomo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
Hello,

I currently own a 2019 A90 Supra with the B58 motor. I have an issue that hopefully someone can help with. I have already consulted 3 dealers with no clear answer.

I have started noticing a high-pitch sound in cabin from a few months ago. I tried to ignore it at first since it was a faint sound, however, it has gotten significantly worse over the past few weeks. It's to the point where anyone riding could notice it, and it’s becoming very irritating and really removes the joy of driving.

Here's some more details:
The noise sounds like a very distinct 'electrical' high-pitch whine or whistle. It is loud enough to be heard especially when windows are closed and can be heard over the stereo on low. It is continuous, changes pitch according to the RPM (pitch increases as RPM increases), and can be heard when stopped or moving.

It appears to be coming from the subwoofer area. It does not change at all with the A/C or fan settings. Saw some other forum posts where a similar noise was distinctly the A/C but doesn't seem like it here. I have also tried toggling interior, exterior lights, turning the display on/off, bluetooth on/off, resetting the battery, but makes no difference.

I also tried some different scenarios and here's what I found:

1. It seems to appear after around 10-15 minutes of driving after the first start up of the day. After that, no matter how many times I turn on/off the engine, the sound will appear immediately after the start up. The symptom resets after each cold start up (i.e. next day onwards)

2. When the ignition is turned on but engine is not started (press stop/start without foot on brake), it not there.

3. Using the Auto Stop/Start feature, when I come to a stop, the engine shuts off as expected and the whine disappears. However once the engine starts again the whine reappears.

4. Interestingly, fiddling with the ASD setting using bimmercode, it seems to increase the sound of the whine when I turn it on OR off (not just when I turn it off). The sound increase happens only on the start up right after I change the setting, and seems to reduce to the ‘usual’ level from the second startup onwards.

5. Also, I don’t know if this is related to the same issue, but when I flash tuned using BootMod3, the whining sound increased drastically. However this whine mainly came from the driver’s side(I live in Japan so the driver’s seat is on the right side) around the fuel port, with the whine still present from around the subwoofer area. When I flashed it back to stock tune, the whine drastically reduced in sound level, though still present.

So from what I can deduce so far, is that this seems to be coming from something electrical when the ignition is on, as I'm pretty sure the A/C and engine itself aren't at play here. I sense that amp may be picking up some electrical/mechanical noises from the car. One of the dealer mentioned it might be the fuel pump, but I’m not sure if it could correlate to the change in pitch related to RPM.

I am quite at loss and I don’t know how to proceed onwards. any advice to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

MYA90SUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra premium
Hello,

I currently own a 2019 A90 Supra with the B58 motor. I have an issue that hopefully someone can help with. I have already consulted 3 dealers with no clear answer.

I have started noticing a high-pitch sound in cabin from a few months ago. I tried to ignore it at first since it was a faint sound, however, it has gotten significantly worse over the past few weeks. It's to the point where anyone riding could notice it, and it’s becoming very irritating and really removes the joy of driving.

Here's some more details:
The noise sounds like a very distinct 'electrical' high-pitch whine or whistle. It is loud enough to be heard especially when windows are closed and can be heard over the stereo on low. It is continuous, changes pitch according to the RPM (pitch increases as RPM increases), and can be heard when stopped or moving.

It appears to be coming from the subwoofer area. It does not change at all with the A/C or fan settings. Saw some other forum posts where a similar noise was distinctly the A/C but doesn't seem like it here. I have also tried toggling interior, exterior lights, turning the display on/off, bluetooth on/off, resetting the battery, but makes no difference.

I also tried some different scenarios and here's what I found:

1. It seems to appear after around 10-15 minutes of driving after the first start up of the day. After that, no matter how many times I turn on/off the engine, the sound will appear immediately after the start up. The symptom resets after each cold start up (i.e. next day onwards)

2. When the ignition is turned on but engine is not started (press stop/start without foot on brake), it not there.

3. Using the Auto Stop/Start feature, when I come to a stop, the engine shuts off as expected and the whine disappears. However once the engine starts again the whine reappears.

4. Interestingly, fiddling with the ASD setting using bimmercode, it seems to increase the sound of the whine when I turn it on OR off (not just when I turn it off). The sound increase happens only on the start up right after I change the setting, and seems to reduce to the ‘usual’ level from the second startup onwards.

5. Also, I don’t know if this is related to the same issue, but when I flash tuned using BootMod3, the whining sound increased drastically. However this whine mainly came from the driver’s side(I live in Japan so the driver’s seat is on the right side) around the fuel port, with the whine still present from around the subwoofer area. When I flashed it back to stock tune, the whine drastically reduced in sound level, though still present.

So from what I can deduce so far, is that this seems to be coming from something electrical when the ignition is on, as I'm pretty sure the A/C and engine itself aren't at play here. I sense that amp may be picking up some electrical/mechanical noises from the car. One of the dealer mentioned it might be the fuel pump, but I’m not sure if it could correlate to the change in pitch related to RPM.

I am quite at loss and I don’t know how to proceed onwards. any advice to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!
You could try unplugging your amp to see if it goes away. Also your subs could be unplugged one by one to see if things change. I'm not sure if unplugging your amp or anything will mess with other car features like security or anything.

I wouldn't recommend unplugging your fuel pump while running because that would starve your high pressure pump.

elam

First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Did you ever figure out what this was? Mine has the same exact issue as you described. Notably, the sound became apparent after I flashed BM3.
Sponsored