2.0 Supra Swap wheels to 3.0

GorillaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Premium, 08' Tacoma 2WD, 10' FJ Cruiser
Thanks. I think people usually run at least stock width or wider. In this case, we're going narrower with the oem 2.0 wheels. Potentially less grip, but will this be much of an issue? Can anyone confirm if the 2.0 wheels will fit over the 3.0 brakes?
Pretty sure Jim_Harrison just did like 4 posts above:
I have a 3.0 and use the 18 inch 2.0 wheels for AutoX. So it works the opposite way.
Sponsored

Elektro

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
17 i3 94ah, 22 Supra 2.0
Thanks. I think people usually run at least stock width or wider. In this case, we're going narrower with the oem 2.0 wheels. Potentially less grip, but will this be much of an issue? Can anyone confirm if the 2.0 wheels will fit over the 3.0 brakes?
OE tread and wheel width are the same (255f/275r, 9f/10r). There is more sidewall with the 18s of course but practically speaking I doubt you will notice the slightly larger contact patch around town or even on a road course... Perhaps competitive autocross environment or maybe drag (think a lot of dragsters are going right to 17s tho).

The 19s are forged so there is not much of a weight savings either. 18 inch tires are a fair bit cheaper it's the only real advantage IMO unless you like the look of one style more than the other.

gcon22

First Name
Ly
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Cressida
OE tread and wheel width are the same (255f/275r, 9f/10r).
Ahh, I assumed the 2.0 Supra had 8f 9r because that is what the 2.0 Z4 runs. What about in the case of a Z4, which is similar enough to a Supra, running the smaller wheels with the larger engine?

Elektro

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
17 i3 94ah, 22 Supra 2.0
Toyota sells a 17x7.5 wheel for this car designed for winter tires. 42611-WAA05. It fits both 2L and 3L (according to Toyota Parts website)

It looks like this: https://www.supramkv.com/threads/official-nocturnal-black-supra-club-thread.1643/

Are you asking if some OE z4 18" wheels fit over 3L Supra brakes? Probably...

Are you asking how small of a tire you can put on the car? Get 4 spacesaver donut spares and go for it.

Last edited:

gcon22

First Name
Ly
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Cressida
Are you asking how small of a tire you can put on the car?
Thanks for the info. I was wondering if it would be safe or if there would be any serious performance loss on going smaller (regular OE wheels, not donuts) on a 3.0 in non-winter daily street driving conditions. Taking the Z4 as an example in this case.

Elektro

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
17 i3 94ah, 22 Supra 2.0
In most conditions having a smaller contact patch results in less grip. A narrower tire will definitely cause that. There are always exceptions like snow or heavy rain (hydroplaning resistance).

Whether the change in performance is acceptable or not is up to the driver.

There are advantages to a narrower tire. Lower noise, lower rolling resistance, etc. Besides, a better 255 tire could out-grip the original 275 tire.

Like anything, there's always trade-offs to make.

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
Did you use the factory 18” tires or did u buy 19” tires to go with them ?
How we he use 19in tires on 18in wheels
Sponsored