2020 Supra Transmission Chat - Manual, Dual Clutch, or Auto?

What kind of transmission are you hoping for?

• Manual

Votes: 72 68.6%
  • DCT

Votes: 26 24.8%
  • Auto

Votes: 7 6.7%

• Total voters

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Finally, that's what I wanted to hear. We don't have to blame Toyota anymore, we can blame the drive to make cars safer as a whole via the industry. 500 Million dollars just to add a different drivetrain option is absurd unless there was a 100 percent take home rate.

Even then, JUST for a limited sports car compared to their other offerings that sell way more makes sense. I just hope the next 86 actually happens.
Sponsored

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Yeah, Tada was also in no way happy with this situation and the industry as a whole is going the same direction. Sign of the times...

I also now know why they were visibly put off when I asked about a manual a long ways back. I'd be annoyed too...

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
And Guff nailed it.

My final information for you all:

Spoke with a junior engineer and they confirmed the manual was left out due to projected take rate in the US being 20%, with the US also projected to be just over half of all global sales.

That alone did not doom the manual though, apparently US safety mandates along with Toyota compliance in things like collision protection, lane guidance, etc is what did it.

It was going to cost $500m to develop and implement a system capable of moving past these issues and as such they decided to not bother. Apparently going forward, Toyota will no longer build any new manual vehicles which is more or less already done. It is also directly related to why the 86 has no planned updates at this time; not the only reason though.

There is no actual consideration for a manual at this time.

That's pretty terrible news.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah, Tada was also in no way happy with this situation and the industry as a whole is going the same direction. Sign of the times...

I also now know why they were visibly put off when I asked about a manual a long ways back. I'd be annoyed too...
Means no more 86. Which also means the last car in the lineup to have a manual option. That can be disappointing to some, but since the GTR, automatic has come a long way.

I feel a manual can come...but...the top trim Supra which I doubt will be affordable compared to the base will not follow their safety regulations outside of the regular requirements of of MTHSA and TNGA. Considering it's mostly a track focused car at that point, I think for the pursists and enthusiasts it can happen.

Just a dream.

Thought I double posted, fixed it.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
i've already getting into the management team at work saying that the A90 supra will need a 'drop in' sequential option :p

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
I still don't understand how a platform being shared by two car makers (one which is know for making manuals in almost their entire lineup - BMW) cannot offer the same transmission across the board!?!?!

Oh well....as much as I love the manual transmission, it seems like it's days of glory are done. I had hoped the GTR would come with a manual option when first released, but the more I see it's capability, the more I realize you don't really need a manual transmission to go fast.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I still don't understand how a platform being shared by two car makers (one which is know for making manuals in almost their entire lineup - BMW) cannot offer the same transmission across the board!?!?!

Oh well....as much as I love the manual transmission, it seems like it's days of glory are done. I had hoped the GTR would come with a manual option when first released, but the more I see it's capability, the more I realize you don't really need a manual transmission to go fast.
Torque converter boy.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
Spoke with a junior engineer and they confirmed the manual was left out due to projected take rate in the US being 20%, with the US also projected to be just over half of all global sales.
wait and what? i dont think thats going to be true. correct me if im wrong but the largest market for both the MK4 and 86 were Japan no?

decryphe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1984 AE86 Trueno GT-Apex 2-door, and a Camry
That alone did not doom the manual though, apparently US safety mandates along with Toyota compliance in things like collision protection, lane guidance, etc is what did it.
Well, there goes ever buying a new Toyota, manual option on a sports car is not up for discussion. I talked to a Toyota dealer already about the Supra.
Seems like the only ones left in the game of manual RWD cars are Porsche, Lotus, BMW and a handful of kit car companies and the one odd model from large brands (Miata, Giulia, ...?).

Hope dies last though, but I'm not holding hope high for now, otherwise I'll just be disappointed if nothing happens.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
Yeah, kinda doesn't make sense that BMW can offer a manual in the same platform, unless the whole electronic systems on the vehicles are propriety, but that doesn't make sense from a cost perspective...

I guess we just pray to Oprah "you get a manual trans! you get a manual trans! YOU ALL GET MANUAL TRANS"
Sponsored