2019 Toyota Supra Prototype Reveals Production Intent Design/Parts

Who do you think is behind the wheel of the Supra?

• White guy

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • Asian guy

Votes: 23 63.9%

• Total voters

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
I see, so the pics arent new. But what about the gearbox rumour? Has this been mentioned before?

Im not aware of any Toyota specific Dual Clutch transmission. So I can only assume its the same ZF box that BMW use.

If you check out the interior pictures from this thread you can see clearly its an automatic by the typical BMW DCT shifter

http://www.supramkv.com/threads/2019-supra-transmission-manual-dual-clutch-auto.370/
well the interior being all bmw is old news and unsurprising...if we get bimmer engines then we probably get a dct but like in the other trans thread, it wouldn't really surprise me if they decide on a torque converter especially if toyota actually contributes to the project with the powertrain...toyota engine + dct is the least likely option here
Sponsored

Leeky

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota GT86 SemiAuto, Mercedes-Benz ML55, Toyota Aygo X-Press X-Drive
Vehicle Showcase
sounds like...FAKE NEWS
Cool story bro...

dct is the least likely option here
Interestingly I'd have said the opposite. With production of the Supra almost certainly being handled by BMW on the same production line as the Z5 in Graz Austria, it would make sense to use the same proven DCT Getrag Gearbox across both models.

The MK4's 6-Speed manual was in essense the same Getrag 6-Speed found in the E46 M3 and the 7-speed getrag DCT featuring in the E90 M3 would be an overall cheaper gearbox option compared to the 8-Speed Torque converted Auto Lexus gearbox. Would also shift gears faster.

OP
OP

JT

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Vehicle Showcase
Short segment, but gives us a different perspective seeing it on the move and among other cars on the highway.

Starts at 2:46. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
Does this mean they are using the M2 as a benchmark?

The latest shots on the 'ring show a bit more of the coupe's profile too, as well as the fixed 'ducktail' spoiler. A Pair of small taillights sit below it – a nod to the original Supra – while two large exhaust exits poke out on each corner of the rear bumper, similar to the GT86.

Hybrid power on the cards for new Supra

Senior Toyota sources have also given the strongest hint yet that the company’s new Supra sports car could feature hybrid power. When asked if Toyota’s quest to have a hybrid or plug-in hybrid vehicle in every market sector would extend to sports cars, Toyota Europe president and CEO Johan van Zyl said: “I would imagine that in the future that will definitely happen." “We already have some sporting models with hybrid powertrains on the Lexus side. But on the Toyota side, I think we will find that if we can have a World Endurance Championship racing car with hybrid technology, it can happen on a road car.” He added: “I do not have any doubt whatsoever that in the longer-term future there will be a real Toyota sports model using electrification.”

The BMW Z4 and new Supra will take advantage of the shared technology, the Supra will likely be the bigger car of the two. That will allow the Supra to sit above the GT86 model that's already a key part of the Toyota line-up, and offer much more in terms of performance. Rumors suggest the new Supra will come fitted with a straight-six engine from BMW's powertrain stable, forgoing the four-cylinder engines of lesser Z4s. Whatever the engine the Supra's ace card should come in the form of hybrid-electric tech to boost performance.

It's likely that the Toyota hybrid tech will have much in common with its Le Mans race cars. The new sports car will use electric motors on the front and rear axle, with a petrol engine driving the rear wheels. Electric power will come from regenerative braking, and will be stored in a lithium ion battery. This will allow both brands to eventually offer plug-in hybrid versions of their new sports cars. Interestingly, the system will implement Toyota’s first-ever dual-clutch transmission, in place of the CVT gearboxes we’re accustomed to in existing Toyota and Lexus hybrids.

By designing the motors in-house, and taking advantage of BMW’s carbon-fibre reinforce plastic weight-saving methods, Toyota is thought to be targeting a curb weight of less than 1,400kg. However, it’s expected that the BMW will be the lighter of the two models. Both cars are expected to debut only a few months apart, but expect the Z4 to break cover first at the end of 2017.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/toyota/88119/new-2018-toyota-supra-caught-testing-on-track

2018-toyota-supra-spied-on-the-ring.jpg

Updated with higher resolution close ups

Toyota-Supra-001.jpg

Toyota-Supra-006.jpg

Toyota-Supra-008.jpg

Toyota-Supra-009.jpg

Toyota-Supra-010.jpg

Last edited:

Sunspot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I like big rear ends and I cannot lie.
I think they're just "cutting and pasting comments from October".

A hybrid powerplant would make the MKV very interesting. But wouldn't it put the price close to the Lexus RC?

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
I think they're just "cutting and pasting comments from October".

A hybrid powerplant would make the MKV very interesting. But wouldn't it put the price close to the Lexus RC?
yes, sounds like rehash old info. i just thought the photos of it testing with the M2 was interesting. they have hinted at a $50-$60k price tag.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
If they're benchmarking the M2, what a tremendous disappointment.

It really does look like that though. Guessing those are both manufacturer plates of some sort but I don't really know.

And yeah it's all a rehash of old speculation.

I'm still in the wait-and-see mindset, but it's not looking too promising.

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
What do you guys think the competition will be? I think they will be going after the Nissan Z, Cayman, F-Type, and maybe base C7.