2020 3.0 "jerking" when accelerating slowly

maybeialways

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium Supra
Hi all, I picked up my used 2020 3.0 premium a couple months ago with 7k miles on it. It's been fantastic overall but I noticed this weird thing when driving in sports mode.

Essentially if I'm rolling in traffic and need to accelerate just a little, the car *jerks* violently like I hit the breaks after I ease up a little on the gas. I thought maybe it was some weird issue with it shifting but I've been keeping my eye on it and it doesn't seem to shift or have any rpm changes when this happens. It doesn't happen in comfort mode that I've noticed (but I don't drive in comfort often). It only happens at very low speeds/1st or second gear - usually when I'm trying to merge on a traffic filled highway or go through a yield sign into traffic.

Any ideas?
Sponsored

OP
OP
maybeialways

maybeialways

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium Supra
Drive in normal mode. Sport mode keeps the RPMs/trans more aggressive, so the 1-2 shift and 2-1 shift at low speeds can be a little harsh.
But what if I like driving in sports mode? I'd literally have to turn on normal just at intersections and then turn back on sport 😅 it drives great, besides just this one issue.

It also happens just when coasting smoothly through, for example, a grocery store parking lot.

OP
OP
maybeialways

maybeialways

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium Supra
Then drive in sport and shift manually for low speed driving. It'll eventually automate if left alone.
That sounds like a better idea, I'll give that a shot and/or just shift when needed manually. I just wasn't sure if I was alone in this issue.

Warren803

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Is it possible you're experiencing the throttle hesitation issue that is very common? Read through this giant thread to see if you're symptoms are similar. There is no fix from Toyota yet for this issue, though some people seem to think that turning traction control off fixes it, but that's not really a valid permanent solution.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/throttle-hesitation.8938/page-16

OP
OP
maybeialways

maybeialways

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium Supra
Yeah I definitely get severe hesitation in first gear coming from a full stop. It's very annoying. 🙃 I read that thread and wasn't sure if this was related but it could be. They both seem to happen randomly. I used bimmercode today to get sport plus and I definitely felt like the car was going to stall when it did it's jerking motion.

I'm going to try to use it in manual more at low speeds like others mentioned to see if that helps... And keep an eye on that throttle thread.

My car is out of warranty, unfortunately. October 2019 was the original owner's purchase.

Content Cars

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Hi all, I picked up my used 2020 3.0 premium a couple months ago with 7k miles on it. It's been fantastic overall but I noticed this weird thing when driving in sports mode.

Essentially if I'm rolling in traffic and need to accelerate just a little, the car *jerks* violently like I hit the breaks after I ease up a little on the gas. I thought maybe it was some weird issue with it shifting but I've been keeping my eye on it and it doesn't seem to shift or have any rpm changes when this happens. It doesn't happen in comfort mode that I've noticed (but I don't drive in comfort often). It only happens at very low speeds/1st or second gear - usually when I'm trying to merge on a traffic filled highway or go through a yield sign into traffic.

Any ideas?
I had the exact same thing you described happen to me 2 or 3 times now at slow speed and it feels like you are on a bucking bronco LOL! At first, I thought it may be my new tune acting up but then I thought maybe it could be the throttle hesitation issue? Idk, it hasn't happened for a while but I'm also not really trying to reproduce it because it seems violent and harsh on components. I have started driving in manual mode more now and especially in traffic, to see if that makes it better when needing to accelerate quickly in stop-and-go traffic.

OP
OP
maybeialways

maybeialways

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium Supra
Thanks everyone! Started driving more in manual today, which is really fun anyways so we'll see if it helps for the times I'm driving in automatic. Great recommendation!

ToyoBMW

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE, 2004 S2000, 1999 Carrera
Just remember, when you're in traffic, it's not very sporty. Stay off sport mode. Problem solved
Sponsored