Throttle hesitation

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Every morning I slowly back out of my garage (there is like a 5% grade) in reverse and sometimes I lose throttle response. As if there is a huge lag or something like that. If I step on it the rpm will go up but the car won't move couple secs and will then jump. It almost feels like the engine is going to stall when the lag is there. And today is the first time it actually stalled. I've started it again, drove to the first traffic light on my way and the throttle had that weird 2-3 seconds lag again.

5k miles (just got it), no mods except some basic coding tweaks.
The EXACT same thing has happened to me...twice! Each time, I tried to feather the throttle back to life, before it cut out. I also have a relatively steep grade on my driveway and have to turn at the end, as I'm backing out, in order to avoid scraping the front.
How long is everyone letting their cars warm up before putting it in gear and going?
Sponsored

ShakaDaKine

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 TG 3.0
How long is everyone letting their cars warm up before putting it in gear and going?
I always wait for the rpms to die down, before putting it into gear. I'm thinking that the oil level in the transmission is low. It always occurs nose-up and when I'm shifting from reverse to drive, at the bottom of the incline. The first time, I had the steering wheel cocked, but am not sure of the second time.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I always wait for the rpms to die down, before putting it into gear. I'm thinking that the oil level in the transmission is low. It always occurs nose-up and when I'm shifting from reverse to drive, at the bottom of the incline. The first time, I had the steering wheel cocked, but am not sure of the second time.
I know people have their routines and everything, but let the car warm up for 10 to 15mins in the garage and see if it happens. I've had the whole stall out thing and hesitation, but it's only when I've been somewhere, cranked it up, and gone from a cold start, even letting the RPMs come down from said cold start.

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra RZ, BMW G20 gone:BMW F30, E85, E46
Do you recall how full the gas tank was? Since youā€™re parked on a significant incline.

but I note @tjk mentioned similar incidents but without the steep incline.

Ive experienced hesitation despite a fully warmed up car , but never to the point of stalling. Did have a few long crank start ups, tho.

ShakaDaKine

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 TG 3.0
Do you recall how full the gas tank was? Since youā€™re parked on a significant incline.

but I note @tjk mentioned similar incidents but without the steep incline.

Ive experienced hesitation despite a fully warmed up car , but never to the point of stalling. Did have a few long crank start ups, tho.
I do not recall what the fuel level was, but very rarely will I let the tank go below the half way mark. I'll try to make a note of it, the next time it happens.

B54

First Name
Bas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Jarama Racetrack Edition
my local dealer managed to open a case with HQ. After running some tests, they do not believe my issues to be mechanical, and requires a software change to address. Iā€™ve been advised to wait for a software update eta Sept.
Can you provide me/us with the case number? Today I told the issue to my local Toyota tech. With a case number I can have him mention it as well.

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra RZ, BMW G20 gone:BMW F30, E85, E46
Can you provide me/us with the case number? Today I told the issue to my local Toyota tech. With a case number I can have him mention it as well.
Unfortunately, I donā€™t have a case number. Iā€™m also not based in the US, but let me try asking if the dealer is willing to release that detail to me.

Reactions: B54

baagel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Challenger Hellcat
Knock on wood, but I haven't had this happen to me anymore since being tuned on EcuTek.

akadic10

First Name
Alen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Acura TLX, 2022 Supra 3.0 Premium
This happens to me at specifically one spot when dropping off my son at school. There is a small incline to get from the parking lot area back onto the road. It's really small and I am in Florida so there aren't any giant hills.

The1DoubleN

First Name
Benn
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulence Grey
Amazing to me that after a year of 200+ posts in this thread, that nothing has been done or acknowledged by Toyota. Perhaps this will become the latest "Unintended Deceleration" scandal šŸ¤”.

ethanmk5

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 Supra, Focus ST, E36
Have been having this same problem, going to take it to the dealership most likely.
I turned off auto start/stop and it seemed to help a little but took it for a drive today and it happened again. Started the car let it idle out, pulled out of my driveway, put it in D and went to move... nothing car would not move and the RPMS were actually dropping almost like it was gonna stall. Put it in sport mode and it started moving no problem.

Snowman

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra Refraction Blue, and 2017 STI
I have experienced the same problem from a dead stop at a traffic light a couple of times in the first 5000 miles or so. It felt like the car was going to stall, almost like it was struggling for air.
I've experienced the same but only one time.

tjk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium Nitro Yellow
Have been having this same problem, going to take it to the dealership most likely.
I turned off auto start/stop and it seemed to help a little but took it for a drive today and it happened again. Started the car let it idle out, pulled out of my driveway, put it in D and went to move... nothing car would not move and the RPMS were actually dropping almost like it was gonna stall. Put it in sport mode and it started moving no problem.
I've used bimmercode to set the default mode to sport individual and I think everything was ok so far. My sport individual only has Engine set to "Sport", the rest is all Normal.
Sponsored