Throttle hesitation

Gothy666

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0
my local dealer managed to open a case with HQ. After running some tests, they do not believe my issues to be mechanical, and requires a software change to address. I’ve been advised to wait for a software update eta Sept.
Well this is good to know. I haven't experienced the issue, but hopefully I won't before the update comes out. 😅
Sponsored

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra RZ, BMW G20 gone:BMW F30, E85, E46
I've experienced this at least one time (very clearly) and haven't had any recalls done. My car is a 2021.
wonder if your car already had some updated software that wasn’t in the 2020 models. That could have been included in the recall suite.
Happened to me again today, shortly after starting car in office parking garage, started up ramp to the next level up and car transformed into a '38 Beetle struggling to make it up the 5% grade, for about a 3 count, then all returned to normal. It doesn't startle me anymore, that's how often it has happened, I'm used to it.
what did you observe as the car struggled upslope? I had it happen once moving off upslope, but I was moving from a standstill. So the hill assist seemed to still work, but the rpm’s started bouncing like crazy. Couldn’t move off but didn’t roll back.

tjk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium Nitro Yellow
Every morning I slowly back out of my garage (there is like a 5% grade) in reverse and sometimes I lose throttle response. As if there is a huge lag or something like that. If I step on it the rpm will go up but the car won't move couple secs and will then jump. It almost feels like the engine is going to stall when the lag is there. And today is the first time it actually stalled. I've started it again, drove to the first traffic light on my way and the throttle had that weird 2-3 seconds lag again.

5k miles (just got it), no mods except some basic coding tweaks.

ShakaDaKine

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 TG 3.0
Every morning I slowly back out of my garage (there is like a 5% grade) in reverse and sometimes I lose throttle response. As if there is a huge lag or something like that. If I step on it the rpm will go up but the car won't move couple secs and will then jump. It almost feels like the engine is going to stall when the lag is there. And today is the first time it actually stalled. I've started it again, drove to the first traffic light on my way and the throttle had that weird 2-3 seconds lag again.

5k miles (just got it), no mods except some basic coding tweaks.
The EXACT same thing has happened to me...twice! Each time, I tried to feather the throttle back to life, before it cut out. I also have a relatively steep grade on my driveway and have to turn at the end, as I'm backing out, in order to avoid scraping the front.

tjk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium Nitro Yellow
The EXACT same thing has happened to me...twice! Each time, I tried to feather the throttle back to life, before it cut out. I also have a relatively steep grade on my driveway and have to turn at the end, as I'm backing out, in order to avoid scraping the front.
Yes, feathering back usually helps but this time I think I didn't do it on purpose out of curiosity and it died. Looks like I am doing the exact same maneuver as you with a turn at the end. And if I am not mistaken I never had an issue when going straight back.
The first time this has happened to me I thought it had something to do with one wheel being in the air for a sec. Not sure about it.

Also, doesn't explain why I got this lag at the traffic light a couple of times.

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
are most owners not reporting this to Toyota? It seems like Toyota is being very quiet about it, despite so many online reports. I see mostly the z4 owners reporting it instead.

frankenm

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91
are most owners not reporting this to Toyota? It seems like Toyota is being very quiet about it, despite so many online reports. I see mostly the z4 owners reporting it instead.
not really a problem ... just wait for eventual fix, rather not have my car be their guinea pig and not have it for time periods anyway

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
not really a problem ... just wait for eventual fix, rather not have my car be their guinea pig and not have it for time periods anyway
I can understand that. After being Guinea pig with my car!
It’s a bigger issue for me cos it was happening relatively frequently, and starting to be more random. Also three close calls losing 99% power yet creeping into the path of oncoming traffic, had me crapping my pants.

Philp

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Has anyone confirmed that this issue still happens to them when they turn TC off by pressing the VSC button once?
I started doing this over the winter and I think it solved it for me. It seemed like every time I drove over the icy patch at the end of my street, it would really slog pulling away from the stop sign. I have 0 faith in the car when it comes to pulling into traffic with any sort of urgency. The first time it happened I was at the mercy of the oncoming traffic and I've been paranoid ever since.

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I started doing this over the winter and I think it solved it for me. It seemed like every time I drove over the icy patch at the end of my street, it would really slog pulling away from the stop sign. I have 0 faith in the car when it comes to pulling into traffic with any sort of urgency. The first time it happened I was at the mercy of the oncoming traffic and I've been paranoid ever since.
if your car is cutting power while driving on an icy patch, I’d think that’s normal, no? DTC is usually advised anyway (subset of DSC, and is what you activate when you hit the TC button once) for those conditions. I’ve had to use DTC sometimes when driving over a slippery patch on car park ramps.

Patina

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Nitro Yellow
I've actually had this happen twice to me, with the first time untuned, and the second time on MHD v2. Both times happened in the underground parking garage at my work.

First time was around the 4th day I had the vehicles, and when reversing out of a spot, I just had zero power, it honestly felt like I was idling out of the spot when trying to give it gas. When I shifted to drive and started accelerating, there was no response at all until a half second later in which case the car started driving normally. Vehicle was entirely stock at this point, 2700~ miles.

Second time was definitely more sketch, was getting off work and started the vehicle letting it idle until the high idle phase finished, shifted into drive (I always reverse into spaces) and when I was trying to accelerate, I just had zero powder again. Gave it more and more throttle with nothing until suddenly the car immediately just went OKAY HERE YOU GO! and suddenly I'm thrown back into the seat and the car is surging as if I was coming out of a dig. One of the security guards doing a patrol in the garage actually came and told me off for making so much noise in the parking garage as if I had done that shit on purpose. Vehicle had 4000~ miles and was on MHD v2 with an AA catted DP.

If I had parked in a traditional perpendicular spot rather than one that was parallel to traffic in the underground garage, I would have easily slammed into a vehicle parked opposite considering how sudden the acceleration was.

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I've actually had this happen twice to me, with the first time untuned, and the second time on MHD v2. Both times happened in the underground parking garage at my work.

First time was around the 4th day I had the vehicles, and when reversing out of a spot, I just had zero power, it honestly felt like I was idling out of the spot when trying to give it gas. When I shifted to drive and started accelerating, there was no response at all until a half second later in which case the car started driving normally. Vehicle was entirely stock at this point, 2700~ miles.

Second time was definitely more sketch, was getting off work and started the vehicle letting it idle until the high idle phase finished, shifted into drive (I always reverse into spaces) and when I was trying to accelerate, I just had zero powder again. Gave it more and more throttle with nothing until suddenly the car immediately just went OKAY HERE YOU GO! and suddenly I'm thrown back into the seat and the car is surging as if I was coming out of a dig. One of the security guards doing a patrol in the garage actually came and told me off for making so much noise in the parking garage as if I had done that shit on purpose. Vehicle had 4000~ miles and was on MHD v2 with an AA catted DP.

If I had parked in a traditional perpendicular spot rather than one that was parallel to traffic in the underground garage, I would have easily slammed into a vehicle parked opposite considering how sudden the acceleration was.
this is why I find this problem so disturbing. When you are caught out, the instinct is to give it more gas. Cos you think oh, I must be going to light? And as you do, when the power resumes (typically on its own) you fly out.

Tri5tate

First Name
Tristate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 2020
this is why I find this problem so disturbing. When you are caught out, the instinct is to give it more gas. Cos you think oh, I must be going to light? And as you do, when the power resumes (typically on its own) you fly out.
Yeah, thats really dangerous. This seems to be affecting alot of Supras and yet it's never been solved.

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I get this too, generally on a cold start. I've found that shifting into second gear when it does it lets you pull away normally. Definitely a bit of a PITA though.
I have noticed that it’s so far always happened to me while moving off in first gear.

I guess one interim fix could be driving in (Z4) comfort+ mode till the “software fix”… if you can live with the crashy suspension setting.
Sponsored