Throttle hesitation

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra MKV, 86 944 Turbo
I have posted about this in another thread, but at that time I thought it might be traction control related.

now I’m thinking it might be something else. Today started the car and drove about 15 minutes in stop and go traffic. Come to a stop, push the throttle, the car accelerates immediately and feels great. All of a sudden, come to another stop push the throttle - nothing or - should I say hardly nothing it’s like I have to push the throttle to quarter mark or more before the car gets to really moving. This behavior then becomes repeatable after every stop after that point until I stop the car and come back to it later.

The problem is this happens every few days and is unpredictable so I don’t know when it’s going to happen or why it’s happening. I need to take it into the dealer but because I don’t know when it’s going to happen and it doesn’t come up on any scan code, this is going to be very difficult to get them to recognize the problem. Does anybody know what this might be. Maybe there some self diagnosis I can do.

just as a note when I accelerate I’m not trying to launch hard I’m just trying to pull away from the light.

Follow up: another poster on this thread I suggested that I post this link here for others who may visit this thread to what appeared to solve the situation for him:

“If you want you can just mention my post here a few months back.”
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ozzy8690

First Name
Ozzy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
14’ Turbo Ultramarine FRS, 2020 Downshift Blue Supra 3.0 premium
I’ve had this happen to me a few times, where one light before it’s absolutely fine. Next light I use the same amount of throttle yet it seems to be very sluggish and won’t move until I apply more pressure. Not really sure what it could be but I’m also tuned so it could also be that. Are you stock?

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I’ve read that thread but this is not exactly the same thing. Car revs fine, this is only on throttle tip in from a stop, and once it gets going - meaning up through all the gears - it acts normal

handsoffsam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
997.2 GT3, 2021 A91, 2008 S2K CR,
To be fair, I feel like what that OP experienced and ultimately resulted in a lemon return is different than what this thread is about. Not saying it wasn’t discussed there too, but his issues were pretty extreme compared to what I’ve seen described here.

FWIW, happens to me on occasion and I have been unable to reproduce it consistently. Haven’t experienced it in the last thousand miles (around 6k now) but did a few times a week during the first 3k.

Edit: I’m stock as well.

mo1

First Name
Mohamed
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I have experienced the same problem from a dead stop at a traffic light a couple of times in the first 5000 miles or so. It felt like the car was going to stall, almost like it was struggling for air.

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yes exactly

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
I've only felt this once, when I warm-started the car, immediately put it in reverse to back out of my spot, then put it in drive and tried to accelerate but it hesitated and the throttle would barely respond.

Someone posted in one of those links mentioned above, a screenshot from the user's manual that says the vehicle does some self-checks in the first 30 seconds after starting the car that can cause this and it's normal. In my case that seems reasonable since it was just the once and was definitely within 30 sec of starting the car, but it doesn't sound like that for you guys. Unless something in the car is triggering those self-checks after the initial 30 sec? Any chance it could be a weak battery causing some subsystems to reset occasionally (like when dropping to idle when coming to a stop at a red light/traffic)? I know my wife's Mini (also BMW) started having some weird electrical issues a while back (sensors reading incorrectly, automatic window roll down/up when opening/closing the door stopped sensing correctly, etc.) that ended up being due to a failing battery.

turbopk

First Name
Pk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 ford edge(DD)

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
actually I do have the pedal commander, but it does not help the situation.

i’ve only had my car for over a month, how is heat soak on these cars? This morning I drove a bit hard and after I came to a stop and started off again normally, I started experiencing the issue. It wasn’t hot outside, it was in the low 70s or high 60s. Furthermore I only accelerated a few bursts about five seconds or so of WOT.
Sponsored