Throttle hesitation

SupraBC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 2.0
Same thing happens with the 2.0.
It has only happened to me from dead stops at traffic lights. It is as if the car thinks you want to launch it even if you're not. I haven't really paid attention but this might only be in Sport mode. Haven't figured out what exactly triggers it though.
Sponsored

Arrio

First Name
Arrio
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Happens to me quite often. I would stop at a stop sign and when I accelerate, the car doesn't move until 2-3 seconds later. It caught me by surprise when I tried slamming on the throttle and the power suddenly comes on to the point that it was dangerous.

STV3

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Same here, I've only had the car a little over two weeks now and its happened to me at least twice.

Almost feels like when you bog the take off on a manual car.

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra MKV, 86 944 Turbo
So. It appears to be happening to several people which begs the next question: what the heck is going on. It makes me not trust the car in critical situations. What if Iā€™m trying to merge or something and this happens!!!

Msoupe

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0, Civic Hatch, C10 Pickup
This pedal lag happened to me this morning at a stop light. For a second, I thought I switched to "normal" mode by accident. But no, I was still in "sport +", which usually has even more pedal touchiness than regular "sport" mode. It drove fine the rest of the way. Only happened at one stop light.

Supercompact

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
Same thing happened to me yesterday. I had no issues, stopped to get gas, beat on it a little bit on a straight stretch of road, then at the next stop sign, it lagged after hitting the throttle. Scared me for a second. It did the same thing at the next stop. This morning it was back to normal. This was also in Sport mode.

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I did notice that mine happened after there was just a few bits of spirited driving as well. Could it be maybe the engine is pulling timing because of intercooler heat soak?

Supercompact

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
It would have to pull a lot of degrees of timing for it to lag like mine did. That much of a timing shift would likely cause a backfire/miss, I would think. It feels more like the throttle plate is not opening to me, but who knows. There is no telling what the computer might be doing.

Msoupe

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0, Civic Hatch, C10 Pickup
I did notice that mine happened after there was just a few bits of spirited driving as well. Could it be maybe the engine is pulling timing because of intercooler heat soak?
My instance happened at the traffic light just off the freeway off-ramp. So I was cruising just before the event occurred. This felt more like accelerator control drive by wire issue rather than engine timing.

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I agree, it feels like the DBW is not synced up to the butterfly on the throttle housing.
Not sure how to diagnose something like this since it is infrequent.

My concern is the dealer will NEVER figure this out!

consultadrone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Almost sounds like a glitch with the traction control system. As if it's refusing power to prevent wheel slip or something. Maybe try turning off all the TC systems (and being very careful) and seeing if you can replicate the issue.

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I thought so too at first, but the thing is itā€™s on a dry road in not even stomping on it. Iā€™m just pushing excelerator to pull away, Iā€™m not even trying to spin the wheels or get away fast, and it still does it. Thatā€™s why I donā€™t think itā€™s a traction thing, at least I donā€™t think so

consultadrone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I thought so too at first, but the thing is itā€™s on a dry road in not even stomping on it Iā€™m just pushing Excelerator to pull away so Iā€™m not even trying to spend the wheels or get away fast and it still does it so I donā€™t think itā€™s a traction thing, at least I donā€™t think so
Yeah, I'm wondering if the TC system is causing the issue. Basically, the system "thinks" that there is a traction problem potential and then refuses power to the wheels. Some sensor is pushing a bad signal or something like that. Figured it would be a good way to troubleshoot at least. If you turn off the TC system and can't replicate the issue, then it's a start. But if the issue is repeatable even with TC off, then likely not a problem with that system

B58ftw

First Name
Min
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 gr supra
It has happened to me twice in the last couple of days. Both times were when the engine was still cold. Right after I pulled out of the driveway. But once itā€™s warmed up, itā€™s normal again. Weird. Iā€™ll keep an eye on it tho.

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
To your point, when I was troubleshooting, I did turn TC off and the problem seemed disappeare And I thought I had it solved, except one time when I did have TC off the problem happened again.
Sponsored