How to get Toyota to update car for throttle hesitation issue?

OP
OP
HACKRCHILD

HACKRCHILD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
Was just gonna say too, @Crimzon, I concur with rjn21 and I took mine to RRG Macclesfield, if you scroll/search in the UK section I made a thread about, excellent service, ask for Chris.
Thanks guys, if I fail down my end Iā€™ll call up and make the trip.

OP
OP
HACKRCHILD

HACKRCHILD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
Hi everyone,

update for you all. Managed to get the car updated via Toyota.

Best advice Iā€™d offer is just ask to speak to the actual supra guy. Everyone else at the dealership including the rest of the mechanics will feed you bullshit about why they canā€™t do anything. Spoke to the Toyota guy and he said heā€™d update it no problem.

Too early to say if my issue is solved but I went out of my way to do many small trips yesterday and nothing yet. I get the issue once a week so I should know quite soon.

One thing to add is the car is VERY different in many ways. Iā€™m gunna do a write up soon. I highly recommend the update and not just for the potential throttle hesitation fixā€¦.

SCZ4

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3.0 Pro
Hi everyone,

Best advice Iā€™d offer is just ask to speak to the actual supra guy. Everyone else at the dealership including the rest of the mechanics will feed you bullshit about why they canā€™t do anything. Spoke to the Toyota guy and he said heā€™d update it no problem.

Too early to say if my issue is solved but I went out of my way to do many small trips yesterday and nothing yet. I get the issue once a week so I should know quite soon.

One thing to add is the car is VERY different in many ways. Iā€™m gunna do a write up soon. I highly recommend the update and not just for the potential throttle hesitation fixā€¦.
Sounds positive, but wonder if your ECU is now locked (or perhaps already was depending on the year).

I have only experienced this once in around 3500 miles, went to pull out at a roundabout and there was nothing for what felt like 2 or 3 seconds, very odd.

OP
OP
HACKRCHILD

HACKRCHILD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
Sounds positive, but wonder if your ECU is now locked (or perhaps already was depending on the year).

I have only experienced this once in around 3500 miles, went to pull out at a roundabout and there was nothing for what felt like 2 or 3 seconds, very odd.
Yeah Iā€™m sure it is locked now. It was a 2019 so it will only need a bench unlock if I came to tune it.

nothing major like the hardware lock on the later cars. I sort of planned taking it to Litchfield when I do it and I heard that unlock it as part of the remap service anyway.

Crimzon_Skyz

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV Supra 3.0 Pro
Happy to hear you may have sorted it! Ive got mine booked in on the 25th of October so would be very keen to hear what else was improved. Unless i can reduce the issue i dont think id be too interested in getting the car mapped anyway (unless that also solves the issue).

Just as a side note: I am worried the update will make the car quieter as there are quite a few rumours newer cars have a less burbley tune from factory.

Did you say anything special to the Master Tech or just an explanation?

OP
OP
HACKRCHILD

HACKRCHILD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
Happy to hear you may have sorted it! Ive got mine booked in on the 25th of October so would be very keen to hear what else was improved. Unless i can reduce the issue i dont think id be too interested in getting the car mapped anyway (unless that also solves the issue).

Just as a side note: I am worried the update will make the car quieter as there are quite a few rumours newer cars have a less burbley tune from factory.

Did you say anything special to the Master Tech or just an explanation?
Hope it all goes well for you too. I just sort of explained to him my issue, but it may be worth saying your Apple CarPlay keeps disconnecting too. Unlike the rest of the dealership the supra guy does not mind updating if you say you have a problem.

as for the exhaust, Iā€™m undecided if itā€™s quieter or not. It has definitely changed but itā€™s more refined if that makes sense? Certainly 1st to 2nd pops are the same. And I can still make it do a proper bang if Iā€™m slamming it. I think the active sound design has been turned down slightly. Ultimately though itā€™s still worth it for me for other reasons I wasnā€™t even aware of before I took it in. Iā€™ll make it all clear soon.

Crimzon_Skyz

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV Supra 3.0 Pro
So Ive been into Listers Stratford-Upon-Avon with the issue. Nice Supra tech called Chris. I decided to go down the honest route like a fool and actually explain the issue and how some people have managed to fix it on here. I wanted there to be more records of the issue officially so that maybe Toyota would create a fix for those owners who dont want to spend there life in the dealer and get this thing officially recognised.

Those were my good intentions, for my trouble however they have kept the car and raised a ticket with head office and BMW for a solution. I did mention that updating for an Apple car play disconnection issue seems to solve the problem in some cases but was told my car was up to date and that i can update that part of the car over the air from the Supra Connect app.

He also said although the overall car was at the latest update some individual systems can be behind but he has to get head office approval to do individual updates.

I will try and keep you all posted on progress as they have to keep the car until the ticket is resolved. Ive got a long, long drive to York in an Aygo X now šŸ˜­šŸ˜­šŸ˜­

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Hi everyone,

Again, Iā€™ve never had throttle hesitation in either of my 2022 Supras but glad you got someone to throw on the latest update for you. Hope that does it for you!

Question: when the car asks if I want to do an update (and I do it), is that something totally different? Assuming it is

OP
OP
HACKRCHILD

HACKRCHILD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
Again, Iā€™ve never had throttle hesitation in either of my 2022 Supras but glad you got someone to throw on the latest update for you. Hope that does it for you!

Question: when the car asks if I want to do an update (and I do it), is that something totally different? Assuming it is
yeah thatā€™s just maps updates. iLevel updates have to be done via cable and the car needs to be hooked up to a power supply.

OP
OP
HACKRCHILD

HACKRCHILD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
So Ive been into Listers Stratford-Upon-Avon with the issue. Nice Supra tech called Chris. I decided to go down the honest route like a fool and actually explain the issue and how some people have managed to fix it on here. I wanted there to be more records of the issue officially so that maybe Toyota would create a fix for those owners who dont want to spend there life in the dealer and get this thing officially recognised.

Those were my good intentions, for my trouble however they have kept the car and raised a ticket with head office and BMW for a solution. I did mention that updating for an Apple car play disconnection issue seems to solve the problem in some cases but was told my car was up to date and that i can update that part of the car over the air from the Supra Connect app.

He also said although the overall car was at the latest update some individual systems can be behind but he has to get head office approval to do individual updates.

I will try and keep you all posted on progress as they have to keep the car until the ticket is resolved. Ive got a long, long drive to York in an Aygo X now šŸ˜­šŸ˜­šŸ˜­
Best of luck, hopefully this brings their attention to it more.

OP
OP
HACKRCHILD

HACKRCHILD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
Do you know what the "iLevel" of your software is now youve had the update? I could really use the code and the module you updated if you know?
So I did the entire cars iLevel which as far as Iā€™m aware updates all modules rather than individually.

Iā€™m hoping to order a bimmergeeks dongle tomorrow so Iā€™ll find out for you soon.

Crimzon_Skyz

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV Supra 3.0 Pro
My update & guide for anyone interested:

So as i previously mentioned, I went into Listers Stratford-Upon-Avon and spoke to their Supra tech Chris. I decided to go the official route and state the real issue. Obviously he couldn't recreate the issue as its so random but suggested due to my safety concerns that he raise a ticket with Head office who would work in tandem with BMW on the issue. My car was there for the best part of a week while they went back and forth.

I was told my car was on the latest update that Toyota had available: S18T-21-03-XXX (last 3 digits unknown). After the tech spoke with head office and BMW they confirmed that BMW had encountered the issue on the Z4 and had a much newer software update available but Toyota dont have access to it. The BMW Engineer worked with my tech to update my car with the BMW module updates bringing it to software version: S18T-23-07-505.

As of writing this I have no idea if this has indeed solved this issue but have an appointment with Toyota in a couple of weeks to report any findings. Based on this info and I'm sure other cars having this fix issued to them Chris was confident it wouldn't be too long before BMW passed this set of updates along to Toyota for official release. As you can see its a huge software jump in iterations so fingers crossed this fixes it and gets issued for everyone to benefit from.

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted anyone chasing this to have all the info possible. If you go in for the update right now I think the truth is the tech will be correct in thinking your car is on the latest update but in actual fact Toyota dont have it.
Sponsored