Throttle hesitation

Silleck

First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium
Happened to me recently, car was warmed up. Went to go pick up some food turned the car off, turned it back on and as I was pulling out the car felt like it was struggling to go. All of a sudden the car jerks forward like it revived itself lol
Sponsored

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra RZ, BMW G20 gone:BMW F30, E85, E46
Mine does the same, not very often though. It did it intermittently in the first 1500 miles and went away until lately it started happening again (3600 miles). Iā€™m curious to see what we find out and if thereā€™s a fix for it.

I have a brand new jb4 just didnā€™t have a chance to install it yet, so canā€™t do any logging at the moment.
the logs may help in conjunction with a good BMW indy workshop, but they canā€™t be used for a warranty claim. At least thatā€™s what I understand - Toyota still has to get the dealer to run their specified tests and submit the results.
But the external logs can be used to narrow down your issue and probably helps if your dealer canā€™t observe the issue first hand. Since the dealer needs enough info to be able to open a case first.

Last edited:

RedMK5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Red Supra
the logs may help in conjunction with a good BMW indy workshop, but they canā€™t be used for a warranty claim. At least thatā€™s what I understand - Toyota still has to get the dealer to run their specified tests and submit the results.
But the external logs can be used to narrow down your issue and probably helps if your dealer canā€™t observe the issue first hand. Since the dealer needs enough info to be able to open a case first.
Yea, I tried with the local dealership when it first happened. The problem was it happened intermittently so the dealership couldnā€™t duplicate the symptom. Hopefully it is a software issue like you said and the update got pushed to all dealership to install to our car.

Xannyy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 premium
It happens to me to the dead peddle, it happens to me everyday at the same exact light near my house and I think maybe how it happens to me is I always drive in manual mode and when I leave my house always give a little pull then ill switch it to auto at that stop light and still in auto it will dead peddle for 2 seconds, anyone wanna try that bc thatā€™s how it happens to me Iā€™m pretty sure

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulance Gray
So this happened to me for the first time. 17.5k miles on my car. No engine mods or tune.

Cold start, go to take off after buckling up (6 point harness so like, around 30 seconds - 1 minute lol) and it sounds like itā€™s about to stall when I give it some throttle. RPMā€™s dip low, get no power, and juuuuust about stalls before getting up and going.

Got to the stop sign at the end of my street, and it does it again when I take off from a stop. So I doable TC and it doesnā€™t do it again.

Really odd.

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So this happened to me for the first time. 17.5k miles on my car. No engine mods or tune.

Cold start, go to take off after buckling up (6 point harness so like, around 30 seconds - 1 minute lol) and it sounds like itā€™s about to stall when I give it some throttle. RPMā€™s dip low, get no power, and juuuuust about stalls before getting up and going.

Got to the stop sign at the end of my street, and it does it again when I take off from a stop. So I doable TC and it doesnā€™t do it again.

Really odd.
did you happen to get the brake safety recall work done recently?

SkySupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0
Has anyone confirmed that this issue still happens to them when they turn TC off by pressing the VSC button once?

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
In January.
mine started doing this a couple of weeks after the safety recall update. I find it too much of a coincidence that it was fine for over a year, till the recall work was done.

My car is a 2019 mfg. And Toyota is now telling me itā€™s software related, not hardware. Iā€™m surprised so few owners have reported this to their respective dealers. The dealers dont seem to have a clue about this, or Toyota is keeping it as quiet as possible.

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Is this only happening when the transmission is in auto mode? I only drive in manual mode and I've never experienced this issue. It still shouldn't be happening regardless but I wonder if the transmission mode is playing a role.

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yea, I tried with the local dealership when it first happened. The problem was it happened intermittently so the dealership couldnā€™t duplicate the symptom. Hopefully it is a software issue like you said and the update got pushed to all dealership to install to our car.
i donā€™t know if they will push the update on all cars, if the car hasnā€™t reported an issue. With the brake safety recall, the dealers were already asking for 2 days to get it done, allegedly bricking some cars etc. I suspect if they can get away with not announcing this as a safety recall, and the update is just as tedious as the brake recall , they might only roll it out for the reported cars.

the ā€œmanufacturerā€ technical support is astoundingly lacking. such a pain with the more complex warranty repairs.

Is this only happening when the transmission is in auto mode? I only drive in manual mode and I've never experienced this issue. It still shouldn't be happening regardless but I wonder if the transmission mode is playing a role.
Donā€™t think thereā€™s enough evidence to conclude that. but I noticed it only happened for me in first gear. both auto : normal and sport modes.

What makes this issue a little nerve-wracking is when you're trying to make a left turn from a complete stop and you thought you had enough of a gap between traffic turns out to be barely enough when your car decides to cross at a Yugo's pace for a couple seconds ?
And Toyota is saying to me that the car is safe to operate.

think Iā€™ll watch the Boeing documentary on Netflix and take some notes.. might need it when I end up with my car smashed after it decides to surprise me with a crawl into some fast moving traffic. Iā€™ve already had 3 close callsā€¦ toyota wants to send us out for more.

Last edited:

Silleck

First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium
Experienced something weird when I was pulling out of my parking spot, waited for the car to warm up a bit and I was about to pull out the car felt like it was about to stall and rolled backwards a bit even though I had it in drive.

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
mine started doing this a couple of weeks after the safety recall update. I find it too much of a coincidence that it was fine for over a year, till the recall work was done.

My car is a 2019 mfg. And Toyota is now telling me itā€™s software related, not hardware. Iā€™m surprised so few owners have reported this to their respective dealers. The dealers dont seem to have a clue about this, or Toyota is keeping it as quiet as possible.
I've experienced this at least one time (very clearly) and haven't had any recalls done. My car is a 2021.

type-964

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra
Iā€™ve experienced it in auto, including in reverse. I donā€™t believe Iā€™ve ever had it happen in manual mode.

The1DoubleN

First Name
Benn
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulence Grey
Happened to me again today, shortly after starting car in office parking garage, started up ramp to the next level up and car transformed into a '38 Beetle struggling to make it up the 5% grade, for about a 3 count, then all returned to normal. It doesn't startle me anymore, that's how often it has happened, I'm used to it.
Sponsored