AndyMy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 2020 launch edition
Vehicle Showcase
I would go ecutek. I made the mistake and bought MHD for OTS and regret it. Also, nobody really tunes for MHD on the a90
Man i bought mhd too 6 month ago, should i go with ecutek ?
Sponsored

erokkin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra GR 3.0
I would go ecutek. I made the mistake and bought MHD for OTS and regret it. Also, nobody really tunes for MHD on the a90
Just wondering why you regret it? Was it sufficient power? I hear many good things and was planning on purchasing. Would like to hear your reasons. Thank you.

bobombo

First Name
Lan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0 Premium 2021
Yeah every 2021 ive worked with ive had to bench unlock. Its unfortunate but at least there are a number of us around the country with the tools =D
I'm a bit confused on this matter. Are we only talking about predate ECU unlocking? I have 2021 but with post date. Is mine unlockable? Thank you.

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
I'm a bit confused on this matter. Are we only talking about predate ECU unlocking? I have 2021 but with post date. Is mine unlockable? Thank you.
What I believe Marin is referring to is that the 2021s with an ecu date earlier than 6/2020 still require a "bench unlock" to be tuned. ECU dates after 6/2020 are still not tuneable.

thunderous_rs

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Audi RS6, 2019 Audi RS4, 2005 Evo 8 MR
Do you mind sharing what specific issues you had with MHD? Was there a solution? Just like the OP I am also considering MHD and BM3. I read pretty much all positive reviews with MHD so that was the way I was gonna go eventually.

With Ecutek, my newb understanding was that they didn't have any OTS maps and everything was custom (which I imagine is great to dial your sh*t in but also likely cost a greater chunk of change and time).
I run a humble tuning shop in Singapore and work closely with MHD & I have been working with Ecutek for almost 5 years.

Both have great support and I feel in US particularly, you’ll have a good spread of well versed MHD tuners such as Wedge Performance, Twisted and CESMotorsport depending on where you’re located. With MHD, as end user you get to do logs via the app be it on the road or dyno to send to tuners or MHD for tweaks.

Ecutek wise majority of times we’d do custom maps primarily focused on the spirited track enthusiast but honestly it’s all relative to what you would personally like.

Honestly I enjoy both and I’m personally about running MHD on my personal vehicle since the ECU was unlocked. I learnt my rom version wasn’t listed in their app, sent MHD my full ECU reads and they’ve updated the app for me and will be available to most in their next update next week.

SavageGTR34

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
I actually switched recently from bootmod to MHD and I am happy. I will say this throttle response in bootmod hell even just idling
if you barely touched the damn throttle you were at 4K rpm but with MHD I can gradually raise rpms (did this after installing after market parts to listen for rattles and test for leaks)and not freak the engine out.
I did run the 93 tune but once I got to half a tank I decided to give the e50 tune a shot an holy shit that was a big difference. It pulls an pulls hard! Has been on average in the 90s here in Indiana so my IATs have been pretty high an while I don’t have the tools to test anymore I did just buy the Verus turbo heat shield for my 21 (yes the finally came out with one) and I will say I feel more confident of my MST not having so much heat soak from that turbo!

As far as reliability of the tuning and ease of use the MHD out shines the bootmod by a long shot. Bootmod is temperamental and tends to disconnect a lot if you don’t do it right and you still have to plug in the enet cable to the bootmod box vs the MHD you just plug in and take your iPhone or tablet an set it on your work bench and then tune it. First time did take about 2-4 min but after that..17 seconds to modify or change maps.

now I will say this bootmod did update all their maps for the 21 models in may so I haven’t tested that out yet. But mentioned something about corrected TCU limitations or something like that.

cons of MHD
So far I’ve noticed a slight hesitation on cold start up in the mornings like it’s not wanting to fire. Has only happened 2 times in 15 key cycles but still don’t like it. I have no misfires and timing isn’t going bad shit crazy so might be a fuel issue (possibly to much e85) but have used a website to calculate what is needed for the e50 mix!

2nd it doesn’t seem to have as many menu options as bootmod. Grantedhalf the options you won’t use but still just seems very limited.

lasty they are a bit slow on getting back to you butpretty sure these guys are based out of Germany an im not the only customer. Hit them up 3 days ago and just got the response tonight.

Other then that MHD has my vote. Check out a video Thic Whips posted on YT when he switched from BOOTMOD3 to MHD via CES Motorsports! Ces claims to have worked directly with MHD in the early days of the Supra and if you pay attention to the graph
.the line is sooo much smoother and consistent vs bootmod being all over the place it seems. Also found out AMS is considering giving MHD a shot to try and diversify their tuning since they only use Ecutek.

bottom line guys it’s based on preference and how you want the car to feel. More and more tuners are starting to switch and warm up to MHD.

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
bottom line guys it’s based on preference and how you want the car to feel. More and more tuners are starting to switch and warm up to MHD.
IMO, I think Ecutek is still the better option. It does cost more but with Flex fuel integration and now that there is the option for integration with Reflex for those running port injection. If you already have BM3 or MHD and you dont need the options, Id stick with what you got and just go with custom tuning over OTS maps.

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
Realistically every flash platform uses the same tables to tune the cars. If you want the ecutek racerom features. Go with ecutek. If not, then any flash platform with a proper tuner will give requested results.

My car runs exactly the same and makes the same power on ecutek, mhd, mgflasher and my kessV2.

I havent custom tuned on BM3 is a while due to the whole server thing.

It just boils down to what extra stuff you want. So base your choice on that. i personally cant remember one time other than just making sure it works that ive used map switching or flex fuel on my car ever. I always run e85. So any flash platform works for me.

But some people like it so thats where the ability to chose platforms come into play.
Sponsored