2021 Supra 3.0 or 2016 Base M4

JanelleS

First Name
Janelle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Phantom 2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Hello everyone! I have a 2021 Supra 3.0 Premium and I like it a lot : ) I would change to a manual in a heartbeat though! I know the automatic is amazing, but I find myself wishing I could go back to manual, and the manual Supra is so expensive. I had a BRZ before the supra that was a lot of fun to drive, but it was a little slow. Anyhow, I'm considering trading in the 2021 Supra for a 2016 Base M4 with a manual, and my monthly payments would be lower. So, my question is, would it be a good idea to trade it in for an older M4? It would be a little more practical, not that I need backseats, I don't have children, but have dogs. Let me know your thoughts and thank you so much!
Sponsored

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
The F82 platform is excellent, especially with a few mods; it really depends on what you want in a car, both are very sporty, and the S55 makes great power, on stage 2 93, you are already over 500 wheel hp. The crankhub is a bit of an overblown issue but still something to keep in mind, especially with the manual, so have to set aside a bit. If you get one with options like full leather and Harmon Kardon, you are going to have a nicer, higher-quality interior and better sound system than the supra. If you get a later LCI 18+, you have the same basic infotainment as the supra, so something to keep in mind.

The sound of the S55 is not great but can be made to sound pretty good with the right exhaust mods. The steering is better than the supra in my opinion and the chassis actually suits the DCT trans more, I know sacrilege and this coming from a Manual MKV owner. The rear seats are actually quiet comfortable, My best friend has one and me and my 5.7 self was very comfortable, so as long as you have short friends.

It is honestly a very comparable platform that have their own pluses and downsides, I don't know if I would make the trade, maybe for CS as those are really raw feeling, different level than the supra by a good bit. But If you get a clean lower mileage car with good options ( i stress options, it makes a huge difference) stuff like Full leather, Exec, the nice lights, carbon roof etc, it can be a really nice car.

Mr. Jonathan

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20'Supra 3.0 premium; AA DP; AS Intk; MBRP Ex; JB4
Not sure if the purchase is online or off the lot, but I would test drive it as much as you can before making a decision. I was very close to trading my 2020 supra AT for a 2023 M3 manual. I had the same train of thought wanting to get back into a manual. However, I took an opportunity to test drive a different 23 M3 manual and found that I did not like it at all. I'm sure folks like that model, I read all kinds of great reviews but I found it wasn't for me.

OP
OP

JanelleS

First Name
Janelle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Phantom 2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Thank you everyone! I definitely need to test drive an M4, I haven't driven one yet : ) I will most likely stick with the Supra, since I love sports cars so much and the wheelbase is so much shorter. It has been my dream car since the 90's!

CafeRacerQueen

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Daniela
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
‘20 M4 CS, ‘24 GR Supra 45th LE
S55 also sounds like shit and it’ll take 4k in exhaust mods to rectify. Factor that into your budget