So there's no way to make a 2021 Supra have burbles/pops?

FlammasWRLD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2001 NB Miata - 2024 Red 3.0 Premium MT - Ninja400
It did though? I test drove a 2020 and it sounded great, so why am I to assume they just decided to remove ALL THE SOUNDS from the 2021, it makes absolutely zero sense.

And then they go ahead and lock to ECU on top of it so that you can spend another 6k just messing with that and taking a huge risk.

You feel like that's fair?
They don't really sound different at all stock. It sounds like the 2020 had an aftermarket downpipe or exhaust. While the 2021 was fully stock.

You also don't have to spend anywhere near 6k to unlock the ECU...
Sponsored

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
OP- you are correct there is a difference in overrun between 20 and 21, it is an ECU change, 2020s had more pops and bangs, and some of that was removed for 21+ cars. The exhaust systems are identical, the only difference in the exhaust is the actual part number for the downpipes, but the cell count on both downpipes (20 and 21) are identical (900 approx.). I have driven many of both and in terms of exhaust volume, even with the change from 2 to 6 port is almost identical. Some 2021's and up had less burbles than 2020s but all of them will have some level of overrun/ pops on the stock calibration. To the next statement, "6k" to unlock your ecu and tune it, and "void" your warranty. There is not a single new car on sale now, or in the last 20+ years that would not get its warranty voided by an ECU flash, that is common knowledge and very explicitly stated in the warranty agreement. The cost to unlock an ECU from Femto is around $800, give or take 2-500 for shipping depending on if you do it yourself or send it to a company to deliver. After that, you are looking at around $600 for a flash from bootmod3. Call it 2k give or take, much less than 6k. Regardless, if you returned the car already not sure why you are here complaining, you clearly don't want a supra, or don't want a 2021, these all seem like pretty simple issues that can be solved by A- buying a 2020, B- buy a 21 and unlock and tune it, or C- move over a different platform, not like you are stuck with this.

SuupYota

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium 3.0 Renaissance Red 2.0
Guys...the OP hasn't been online in over a day, and everyone is still indulging his nonsense. He joined, just to bitch about a problem he no longer has. Hell, if his dumb story was even the truth to begin with. FFS, this is clearly a troll comment. If it isn't, may god have mercy on his soul. His reasoning for returning the Supra, is the dumbest thing I've heard on this forum. We can continue to enjoy our "Supras." He can continue to enjoy riding the short bus.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
There's a reason I stick to the Motorsports portion of ANY forum I'm on. Well.. except the forbbodiesonly.com forum.... not much Motorsports going on there, but that site has it's own problems.
ZRK is joking. He is the problem, the problem is him. The drag guys think every build should be like them. They are the problem, the problem is them.

if you want actual real talk, join the Supra track discord. Although you are selling your Supra so you are dead to us.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
ZRK is joking. He is the problem, the problem is him. The drag guys think every build should be like them. They are the problem, the problem is them.

if you want actual real talk, join the Supra track discord. Although you are selling your Supra so you are dead to us.
I tried the discord. So much noise.... And I couldn't visit often enough to keep up. šŸ˜”
But now I'm dead, too.

JoshuaQ

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
2021...catless downpipe and magnaflow exhaust. Does a an ak sound good to you, cause it can pop like automatic weapon.
Beyond that, any time I let off the gas in any way, if the car was moving, it burbles a lot.
Not sure if there is a difference between 2020 and 2021, but mine burbles and bangs more than is necessary (I like it).

Gringo1960

First Name
Luc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger
...like in the same way the 2020 does?

I test drove a 2020 Supra 3.0 and absolutely loved it, the sound was awesome and the burbles gave it so much character. But, not being deep into Supra lore, I assumed the 2021 shouldn't be that different, which I feel is a reasonable expectation.

So I went over and financed a Supra from CarMax. 2021 A91 with 9k miles. I buy the car, drive it home, everything's great but I can't really hear the exhaust well. Maybe it's still breaking in, I'm thinking at the time. Then I look up this exact problem and find a few obscure threads where it's actually talked about and realize that oh, the 2020 Supra sounds fantastic but the 2021 Supra sounds like a soccer mom minivan for some reason.

You know what, then I think oh well that's okay I'll just do a burble tune on it later. SIKE, I can't do that because I'd have to send my ECU to Europe apparently and pay another 6 grand or more, just to void my warranty and STILL not get the same sound as a 2020.

Does that sound about right? Because if I'm right, I don't understand how that's even legal and allowed. If I BUY the car, who are they to tell me what I can't or can do with my ECU?

So I was left with $60k less, a car that sounds like a minivan and apparently has no hope of ever sounding as good as the SAME CAR one year older. This isn't right. This doesn't feel right. I returned the car since CarMax has a full 30 day return policy and my dreams of wanting a Supra are honestly kind of shattered. I don't want to support a company that thinks it's okay to lock the ECU's like that, and think it's okay to sell a sports car for $60k when it sounds like a Nissan Altima.

Unreal, these companies should not be getting away with this.
šŸ™„šŸ™„šŸ™„Ahcrappp, ur such a snowflake pussy. Iā€™m guessing manbunned, soy late drinking vegan social media keyboard warrior.

We buy, modify and adulate our Supraā€™s to driveā€™em hard.
Pops and burbles are fun, but if hot cars didnā€™t do that, weā€™d still savor the driving experience.

Please donā€™t post again.

Eightohtwo1X

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23' Strat Blue MT Supra + 06' MT Subaru Baja Turbo
šŸ™„šŸ™„šŸ™„Ahcrappp, ur such a snowflake pussy. Iā€™m guessing manbunned, soy late drinking vegan social media keyboard warrior.

We buy, modify and adulate our Supraā€™s to driveā€™em hard.
Pops and burbles are fun, but if hot cars didnā€™t do that, weā€™d still savor the driving experience.

Please donā€™t post again.
As ridiculous as I think OP's post is.. You sound like a shitty and ignorant human being.
You should take your own advice.

Kolme

First Name
Kolme
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Props to the OP for returning the Supra and keeping another one off the salvage list.

Davidr3

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thereā€™s a lot of people in here giving advice on what others should do to their car. Feel free to give me the same advice but Iā€™m sending the car payment your way šŸ˜
Sponsored