Tuning 2021 Supra questions

domtags30

First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Hey guys, scoured the forums for a bit here but can’t really find exactly what I am looking for. I have a 21 Supra with a 02/2020 ECU. I know I can tune without the big issue the post 06/2020s have. However, I am curious to know if I will need an unlock still. I’ve read that 2020 Supras with the brake recall have to get unlocked. Is that the case with 21s as well?
Second question is in regards to Visconti tuning. I am very new to sports cars and tuning and this is my first one. Through research I think a ecutek is best for me because it has the app. What would I have to purchase in order to get setup? Do I just buy the software or do I need to buy a tune with it? I tried using the contact form on their website but have not received a response back in a couple weeks so I figured I would come here!
Sponsored

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
You will likely need a bench unlock. You'll know for sure if you have full-screen CarPlay.

Ecutek is great, but if 'the app' is the reason you're choosing it, I think you might be a little misinformed. BM3, MHD, and Ecutek all have apps, and each is just as good as the next.

BM3 and MHD both have off-the-shelf maps that are good for cars with few to no modifications. Ecutek will require a custom tune; they don't provide anything off-the-shelf.

Jesse DaBears

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Tungsten Supra 3.0 Premium
You will likely need a bench unlock. You'll know for sure if you have full-screen CarPlay.

Ecutek is great, but if 'the app' is the reason you're choosing it, I think you might be a little misinformed. BM3, MHD, and Ecutek all have apps, and each is just as good as the next.

BM3 and MHD both have off-the-shelf maps that are good for cars with few to no modifications. Ecutek will require a custom tune; they don't provide anything off-the-shelf.
ecutek app sucks BM3 and much cooler.

OP
OP

domtags30

First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra

Okay interesting, I definitely did not know they have preloaded maps. And yes I do have full screen so I guess I’ll need an unlock. So follow up question, if I choose to go with bm3, since it has its own maps, do I need to go through a tuner or can I just buy the software and flash it myself from home instead of having to ship out my ECU? (After an unlock of course)

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Okay interesting, I definitely did not know they have preloaded maps. And yes I do have full screen so I guess I’ll need an unlock. So follow up question, if I choose to go with bm3, since it has its own maps, do I need to go through a tuner or can I just buy the software and flash it myself from home instead of having to ship out my ECU? (After an unlock of course)
You don't need to send it off for tuning regardless. Unlock is different.

Danimal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium 3.0
Think of it as a two-step process;

First is to unlock, and your options are to find a local tuner who can do that, ship it to a tuner who can do that, or buy a bench unlocker tool to do it yourself. The last option is what I chose - I’m using MHD and bought their $300 unlocker kit so I can unlock myself and again if i need to in the future (after a Toyota software update, potentially after flashing back to stock for emissions testing, etc)

Next is flashing a tune, and your options are similar; find a local tuner who can create a map for you, which may/may not include dyno time, find a non-local tuner who can create a map for you that’d you’d load yourself (also may/may not include dyno time), or use an off-the-shelf (OTS) map that you flash yourself, if one is available from your chosen tuning platform. The latter is what I chose, I’m using MHD+ and the OTS map has been fine for me. I’m likely leaving power on the table, but I’m fine with that for now.

I’m generally happy with MHD+ in terms of the app, the tune options, and ability to load 4 tunes and swap on the fly while driving with the steering wheel controls.

Dan

Branflakes123

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Refraction Blue
Find a tuner first. Then use whichever platform they prefer MHD/BM3/ECUTEK

OP
OP

domtags30

First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Think of it as a two-step process;

First is to unlock, and your options are to find a local tuner who can do that, ship it to a tuner who can do that, or buy a bench unlocker tool to do it yourself. The last option is what I chose - I’m using MHD and bought their $300 unlocker kit so I can unlock myself and again if i need to in the future (after a Toyota software update, potentially after flashing back to stock for emissions testing, etc)

Next is flashing a tune, and your options are similar; find a local tuner who can create a map for you, which may/may not include dyno time, find a non-local tuner who can create a map for you that’d you’d load yourself (also may/may not include dyno time), or use an off-the-shelf (OTS) map that you flash yourself, if one is available from your chosen tuning platform. The latter is what I chose, I’m using MHD+ and the OTS map has been fine for me. I’m likely leaving power on the table, but I’m fine with that for now.

I’m generally happy with MHD+ in terms of the app, the tune options, and ability to load 4 tunes and swap on the fly while driving with the steering wheel controls.

Dan
I am gonna do everything you’ve done! Thank you for the in depth suggestion!

Danimal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium 3.0
Tell em Danimal sent you. 😎

Jk that doesn’t even mean anything don’t do that.
Sponsored