Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 Stage 2 Audi S3

Budget: $50-$60k

Use case: weekend trips, occasional commute

Used/new: Either; prefer used due to depreciation curve

Payment: cash down + finance for 36 months

Hey all! I've been driving my 2015 Audi S3 for 8 months by now but want to get a sportier car for the next one.

I've researched lots of sporty coupes but currently the final two contestants are the 2021 Supra 3.0 and the 2018+ Audi TTRS. I know a lot about Audi and the TTRS already but only some about the Supra (from YouTube videos), so would like input and ideas.

The way I see it:

Pros of Supra:

- brand new
- HUD
- more MPG
- sleeker looking (subjective)
- more safety and driver assistance features
- better and longer factory warranty
- cheaper maintenance
- better seats (2 memory settings; bolster adjustment)

Cons of Supra (pros of TTRS):
- worse sound
- less modable... I think
- worse steering wheel
- slower launches and to 60
- no quattro

Any input from you Supra experts? My main concern if I go with the supra is Toyota releases the MY 2022 soon after me purchasing the MY 2021, adding more performance upgrades (whether it be engine, suspension, chassis, etc. like they did from 2020 -> 2021), and I get buyer's remorse. This would not happen with the TTRS, as 2021 will be the final production year for them.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Jediyogi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GR A90
I was in the same situation deciding between these 2 fine automobiles (as well as a BMW M2CS) about 6 months ago but decided to go with the MY20 Supra in the end mainly because of the running costs and tha costs of mods..........my usage pattern is pretty much the same as yours and coming from AWD Rexes and VWs....IMO I must say a RWD modded Supra is more fun as a weekend drive.

A side note about the MY21 performance upgrades...nice to have but IMO I would save the $$$ and get a MY20 and put about $5-$6k in mods (DP+ECUTEK tune+CAI) and it'll have similar performance to a BMW M4

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
Excellent response.

I'll add the Audi (VW) haldex quatrro awd is inherently fwd (reactive). That is, it is mostly fwd until it slips and then it dials in awd. This also makes the steering more anaemic with torque steer and basically a numb experience up front. This same setup is present in all these hot hatches (a45s, RS3, Focus RS) to varying degrees.

Coming to the rwd A90, the front is superbly light allowing you to feel the road between your fingers. Bring in the traction dial on the rwd and this means you get a very rewarding weekend race car.

Safe driving all.