Supra 2.0 vs Supra 3.0

21supra2.0

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra 2.0, 2020 Supra premium
I hear a lot of people digging the 2 liter that have likely never owned or even drive them, let alone owned both a 3 liter and a 2 liter. I have owned and tracked heavily both.

I just wanted to offer my honest opinion. Both cars were lowered on eibach springs and front sway bars. Other then that just exhaust.

I owned the 3 liter first. The car had more then enough power. The brakes were officiant enough to brake pretty late and suspension was soft but predictable. I stiffer suspension setup would definitely be a solid improvement. My front sway bars on both seemed to effectively help with body roll. The area where the 3.0 felll short for me is when it came to turn in. It was slower to turn in and wanted to understeer. I was running a 275 square setup. Turning off the traction control allowed me to have all the power the car offered when I needed it. If the car got sideways it was very easily controllable due to the diff. All in all a solid experience and I set some great lap times. Pretty impressive car in my opinion.

The 2 liter was a exciting thought for me as I figured it would not have the same turn in issues and if it offered even 60 percent of power the 3.0 offered it should be sufficient. My track days started early (8am). Temperature was manageable at 70 degrees. The first hot laps I did the car wasn’t bad at all. I was ok with the power output. The brakes were soft pretty quick but did continue to work fine. I did notice however that if the rear was to get too lose it was very hard to get under control again.The turn in was great! Still on 275 squared. It went right where you put it. Much better then the 3.0. Actually the car all around felt lighter as it should. So as the day went in ambient temps went up. This is where we started to see the shortcomings of the 2 liter that were not present in the 3 liter. After lunch we went out and noticed right away the brakes faded instantly. I did change to high temp fluid to try and combat this so I can only imagine what it would have been like without it. Next, with the tires greasy the rear end was all over the place but not in a controllable way. After spinning off the track a time or two I had to dial it back a bit…so the biggest issue…and the one that made me want to get rid of the car immediately is that if it got even the slightest bit hot it would pull almost all your power from you. You would get passed by miatas. It was that bad. So bad in fact that was my day. I never took it back out.

so my opinion is if you want a performance car buy the 3.0. If you just want a Supra for the name…buy a 2.0. It’s a great car if you never drive it like a SUPRA.
Sponsored

SupraBC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 2.0
I remember Car and Driver said the same thing about the 2.0 shortcomings on track when they tested both at VIR.

Considering I'll never track my car, what are your thoughts about the two of them just for daily driving, backroads and road trips?
That's basically what I use mine for and if the time comes when I want to move on, I'm debating whether the 3.0 is worth the extra money for those type of situations and a better option than say a base Cayman.

I sometimes wish the 2.0 had more power but I wonder if 382bhp is overkill for backroads (plus the heavier nose)

Last edited:
OP
OP
21supra2.0

21supra2.0

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra 2.0, 2020 Supra premium
I remember Car and Driver said the same thing about the 2.0 shortcomings on track when they tested both at VIR.

Considering I'll never track my car, what are your thoughts about the two of them just for daily driving, backroads and road trips?
That's basically what I use mine for and if the time comes when I want to move on, I'm debating whether the 3.0 is worth the extra money for those type of situations and a better option than say a base Cayman.

I sometimes wish the 2.0 had more power but I wonder if 382bhp is overkill for backroads (plus the heavier nose)
im actually not sure if I would have ever noticed the short comings if I had not taken it to the track or needed a weekend track machine. Really, the 2.0 is a capable car on the street. Much closer to the 3.0 off the track. I still think a decent driver could smoke the brakes fairly quick on the street too so maybe a brake upgrade if you want to spend the cash.
Sponsored