phm14

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hakone 86, '18 Tundra 4x4, '15 4Runner Trail
Vehicle Showcase
Who knows...maybe Nissan will go as far as to source the B58 I6 for the the new Z, and beat Toyota to the punch by bolting on the existing compatible MT! That'll calm the drama between Toyota and BMW right down...or, what the heck, just add a 3rd car to the Z4/Zupra line in Austria.
Sponsored

Last edited:

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
I'm reasonably sure BMW would want more than Nissan is prepared to pay (possibly even capable of paying) in order for that to happen. Toyota calls those amounts "walking around money" - but for Nissan it's likely more than half their gross profits. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
phm14

phm14

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm reasonably sure BMW would want more than Nissan is prepared to pay (possibly even capable of paying) in order for that to happen. Toyota calls those amounts "walking around money" - but for Nissan it's likely more than half their gross profits. :rolleyes:
Yeah, that's got less than an ice cubes' chance in hell of happening. Comment was a tongue in cheek attempt at taking the edge off all the complaints about BMW building the A90. On that, I do feel like there's something a bit disingenuous about re-badging a car built by another company, but this kind of thing seems to be on the increase these days, and I'm not letting it bother me, much. I'm more concerned with the end product quality, performance, and service (especially on a new model). Toyota has always stood behind their products to a degree that other makers haven't grasp yet. Honestly, looking at recall history, I don't know of any other company that has gone to the extent Toyota has in making things right for customers, in the rare event of a costly recall. All companys make mistakes, it's how the mistakes are handled that makes the difference. It's my 40 years of experience with Toyota that gives me confidence to be an early adopter, just like I did with the FRS in '13. To those who say the new car strays too much from the A80: If I wanted a A80, I'd buy one. :cool:

kissmyrs

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
And beautiful as well... the styling is almost perfect - but if it was completely perfect it would be called an R8. :D I just wish I didn't know so many horror stories of past Audi owners around me... you know the "bang! drivetrain all over the freeway" kind of horror stories. :eek:

Saw one at a restaurant today in a crazy (in a good way) purple-ish metallic paint. Looked fantastic!
♂ Right here! I had tons of leaks on both my TTRS thats why I traded out. But I was part of a group chat where no one had any problems lol... go figure.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
♂ Right here! I had tons of leaks on both my TTRS thats why I traded out. But I was part of a group chat where no one had any problems lol... go figure.
That's what frightens me. I have far too many cases already in cars, home projects, and in IT (work) where it seems I'm the one in a thousand that manages to receive the lemon. At least with a car it's fairly easy to get out of it and move on... I had that with my last house.

Every time I called a plumber or electrician for something, they'd say "Oh no, you shouldn't have used this stuff in a house!" Even after I pointed out that it was a tract development and asked if I looked like a commercial builder to them... they still had that "I know it was you" look. :( I couldn't even sue - because the developer declared bankruptcy (naturally). Thankfully that's just a painful memory now - but I'd still love to have some time alone with the builder and a bat. :mad:

kissmyrs

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
That's what frightens me. I have far too many cases already in cars, home projects, and in IT (work) where it seems I'm the one in a thousand that manages to receive the lemon. At least with a car it's fairly easy to get out of it and move on... I had that with my last house.

Every time I called a plumber or electrician for something, they'd say "Oh no, you shouldn't have used this stuff in a house!" Even after I pointed out that it was a tract development and asked if I looked like a commercial builder to them... they still had that "I know it was you" look. :( I couldn't even sue - because the developer declared bankruptcy (naturally). Thankfully that's just a painful memory now - but I'd still love to have some time alone with the builder and a bat. :mad:
Lol! I know that feeling all to well brotha!

OP
OP
phm14

phm14

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Supra internet content is down. The Youtubers have mostly jumped on the C8 bandwagon. Going to be interesting watching progress on the platforms, as "in the wild" miles rack up. Which car would you trust most for a 3K+mile road trip, or trouble free track trip?

madweazl

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'15 Mustang GT & '13 Ram 1500 Longhorn
Vehicle Showcase
C8 and GT350 have been on my radar but with the HP bump for the 2021 and the impressive skid pad performance the 2020 already has (which should get even better), I just dont think there is much better bang for the buck. If the tune and downpipe deliver similar increases to what the 2020 is getting (roughly 25%), you end up with more HP and considerably less weight than the other two at a lower price point.

OP
OP
phm14

phm14

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
C8 and GT350 have been on my radar but with the HP bump for the 2021 and the impressive skid pad performance the 2020 already has (which should get even better), I just dont think there is much better bang for the buck. If the tune and downpipe deliver similar increases to what the 2020 is getting (roughly 25%), you end up with more HP and considerably less weight than the other two at a lower price point.
I agree that the Supra has potential to be a good value for me, if it continues to prove reliable.
How many miles on your 5 year old Mustang? What issues have you had over your ownership? What are your expectations as to which would likely be more reliable: a new Mustang, or the Supra?

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm not sure I'd feel entirely confident in any of them... at least not compared to a Camry, IS350, etc. Then again, that's what my wife's RX350 is for! The others are for at most 50-100 mile days IMO. I'm sure any of them would be largely reliable during their warranty periods... but if we're talking long-term reliability - then probably only the Porsche would get my vote in this list. The downside to that is if you actually do need significant repairs to the Porsche... that's gonna be a long wait, while the Mustang or Corvette should be "everything's in stock... see you this afternoon" - for anything less than a new powertrain at least.

madweazl

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'15 Mustang GT & '13 Ram 1500 Longhorn
Vehicle Showcase
I agree that the Supra has potential to be a good value for me, if it continues to prove reliable.
How many miles on your 5 year old Mustang? What issues have you had over your ownership? What are your expectations as to which would likely be more reliable: a new Mustang, or the Supra?
I didn't have many issues with the Mustang but only had 36k miles on it too. Ironically, the left headlight went out after a couple months (2500 miles if I remember right), we had a cracked fitting on the oil cooler that required replacement around 10k, and the a/c went out around 25k (cant remember which item but it required dash removal). None of those were common issues for the Mustang and I didnt have any of the issues that were common for some (noisy lifters for instance). My buddies '16 has been in the shop a number of times for a crank sensor (I believe), a clutch (may have been his fault), and a trans issue (not a fan of the Getrag; noisy and doesnt shift well in cold weather with stock fluids). An issue we both have that neither of us have been able to resolve (even though there is an apparent fix) is with the side view mirrors if you have the 401A package (memory seats, BLIS, etc). Every once in a while when you get close to the vehicle and it senses the FOB, the mirrors will angle out to the extreme and the motor will just keep going so it will make a clicking noise as the gearing(?) I assume reaches its limit and snaps back. It stops as soon as you start the car. Apparently there is a body control module update that corrects it but convincing your local Ford dealer to do it is more difficult than you'd think (no clue why but three dealers in the local area havent been willing to do it for either of us). I absolutely love the car, it's a joy to drive. Ford took care of things without issue for all but the mirror issue. It was a first run vehicle on a ground up new platform so I knew there would be some issues (less occurred than I was prepared for). In terms of reliability, it never left me stranded anywhere but my buddies did with the trans issue. I'd expect the Supra to be similar since it's a first model year and based on the past few months, that seems to be the case. It's something I'm willing to take a chance on because the 'Vette is in the exact same boat (and I'm just not impressed with the handling characteristics based on comments and numbers right now).
Sponsored