2021 Supra A91 screen brightness

Bobber74rac

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 RAM 3500 Dually
So I just drove it off the lot and I can’t see the screen. It’s too dark. Guess they still haven’t fixed this issue. Isn’t there any sunlight in Austria?
Sponsored

2Cool

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra Premium 3.0
I would like it if someone made a visor add on for that screen, similar to the pic below. If it was done in a decent looking CF finish, it would look fine and help visibility a lot in bright conditions.

Attachments

OP
OP

Bobber74rac

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 RAM 3500 Dually
I hate to take a chance to invalidate my warranty on a brand new car. Why can't BMW who makes the Supra just allow users to adjust the daytime brightness just like the nighttime brightness. Better yet, fix the problem in the code that reacts to the light sensor by making the screen bright on bright days!!!!

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
I hate to take a chance to invalidate my warranty on a brand new car. Why can't BMW who makes the Supra just allow users to adjust the daytime brightness just like the nighttime brightness. Better yet, fix the problem in the code that reacts to the light sensor by making the screen bright on bright days!!!!
The idea that you would lose your warranty, despite the hyperbolic and often contrived stories you might hear in the internet, because you used BimmerCode to adjust a setting to what is standard in other displays made by the manufactúrate is, I think, misplaced and grossly overestimates actual risk (if there is any at all). But, I am not criticizing you for being cautious.

everyone must make their own risk informed decisions, but this should not “void” your warranty. I doubt it would even result in any kind of denial of claim. That is, of course, my own opinion, but one informed by a warranty claim I made on my M240i that clearly and undeniably had adjustments made to the headunit, including fullscreen CarPlay which was obvious enough that the service tech noted it (and said “cool).

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
Cause Toyota are tight a$$ and want to avoid paying BMW for idrive software updates.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Since most (if not all) adjustments made by Bimmercode are reversible (and are options already present in the default code) - it would be a very, very difficult argument to make for invalidating the warranty. About the only possible approach to that would be invalidating the warranty only on the component directly affected. It's not like you're uploading a custom firmware to it... it's just changing a setting in the configuration.

So in this case, I suppose they could deny a screen or camera replacement by claiming "abuse and neglect" by the owner - they still couldn't deny a power-train or other system repair. I don't see either case as likely however. There's a huge difference between adjusting the screen brightness on the camera and throwing a super aggressive engine tune on the DME.

Magnuson-Moss isn't a magical bullet for warrantied modifications... but legal defensibly does play into their calculus still. I don't see Toyota risking a PR problem unless they're fairly positive that they could win if it were litigated. ;)

OP
OP

Bobber74rac

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 RAM 3500 Dually
Thanks to the people posting info on this problem. I'm thinking more and more that getting Toyota to do anything on this issue is unlikely. So I guess Bimmercode it is!

KongerR1

First Name
Suzanne
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2017 Cadillac XT5, 2006 Yamaha R1, 2001 Honda F4i
I went to my dealership this past weekend as they're storing my car till the roads are salt free. I specifically mentioned this issue to my sales guy and how it can be changed by using the Bimmercode. He was quite familiar with this and I asked would it cause issues with my warranty and he said no. He did say if anything, convert everything back to "factory settings" when bringing the car in for maintenance and all should be good.

Worse comes to worse, have H2O_Doc on speed dial and hand the phone over to the dealership to have a warranty chat! ;)

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
I went to my dealership this past weekend as they're storing my car till the roads are salt free. I specifically mentioned this issue to my sales guy and how it can be changed by using the Bimmercode. He was quite familiar with this and I asked would it cause issues with my warranty and he said no. He did say if anything, convert everything back to "factory settings" when bringing the car in for maintenance and all should be good.

Worse comes to worse, have H2O_Doc on speed dial and hand the phone over to the dealership to have a warranty chat! ;)
I will pummel any offending dealership with armchair lawyering and some serious science. I did some piranha work back in the day, so I will be armed with some potent critters.

KongerR1

First Name
Suzanne
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2017 Cadillac XT5, 2006 Yamaha R1, 2001 Honda F4i
I will pummel any offending dealership with armchair lawyering and some serious science. I did some piranha work back in the day, so I will be armed with some potent critters.
I can just see it playing out now, the phone is handed over, you hear the muffling of the voice on the phone and the dealership dude just nodding his head yes but not being able to get a word in edgewise looking wide eyed. Then saying "yes sir understood, no problem.......bye", handing the phone back and saying "we're all good, and we will get the car to you ASAP".

Done

OP
OP

Bobber74rac

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 RAM 3500 Dually
I can just see it playing out now, the phone is handed over, you hear the muffling of the voice on the phone and the dealership dude just nodding his head yes but not being able to get a word in edgewise looking wide eyed. Then saying "yes sir understood, no problem.......bye", handing the phone back and saying "we're all good, and we will get the car to you ASAP".

Done
You people are great, thanks!
Sponsored