Car(s)
20 SUPRA
2021_Toyota_Supra-main___Super_Portrait.jpg

2021_Toyota_Supra-interior___Super_Portrait.jpg

Review - 2021 Toyota GR Supra
Still The Most Interesting Choice You Can Make
Chris D'Alessandro

Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Now that the controversy around it has calmed and the suspicion as to whether the latest model could be called a worthy successor to the cult-worshipped Mark IV model has mostly settled we can finally examine the latest Toyota Supra on its own merits.

When the GR Supra launched in 2020, it was met with harsh criticism from the Fast and Furious faithful. “Heresy!” they cried when it was announced that the Supra would share a platform and drivetrain with the BMW Z4.

But the truth is Toyota has always raided other company’s parts bins when it comes to building their sports cars. As far back as the 2000GT, Toyota has always looked to partner with companies such as Yamaha, Subaru and of course, now, BMW to cut development costs and stay competitive in the marketplace.

The Supra proved a lot upon its return in 2020. Not only did it deliver the performance enthusiasts were looking for — it did so for a fraction of the price of its former rival (and the car fans were most upset the new Supra would not be directly competing against), the Nissan GTR.

Instead of building a supercar, Toyota built a sports car. One that was competitively priced and a reasonable alternative to a Porsche Cayman or BMW M2. And it was all the better for it. Not trying to build a GTR rival was perhaps the smartest move Toyota could have made.

For 2021, Toyota gave their 3.0 Premium model GR Supra even more horsepower. Critics bemoaned the fact the Supra launched with only 335 horsepower in 2020 — even though actual output was closer to 390.
2021_Toyota_Supra-engine___Super_Portrait.jpg

This year, with some reworking of the intake and valve train, Toyota claims 382 horsepower and 368 lb-ft from the twin-scroll turbocharged, 24-valve DOHC, BMW-sourced B58 engine. Of course, they’re fibbing about the power this year, too. Factoring in parasitic loss, dyno lie-detectors indicate actual output is well over 400 at the flywheel.

Coupled with the blistering-fast shifts of the 8-speed automatic transmission and the superglue-like grip of the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, the GR Supra will rocket you to 100km/h in under four seconds. If you’re wondering what that feels like, imagine having all of your blood, bones and organs vacuumed out your body… and then having them all shoved back in place when you slam on the Brembo 4-piston ventilated disc brakes.

Beyond just being fast, this sensation of the car getting away from you is chiefly down to the way the turbocharger builds boost. Once the boost comes on, it feels like the car is trying to escape your grip — like a dog straining the leash. Luckily, multi-link rear suspension, double-joint-type MacPherson strut front suspension, hollow front and rear stabilizer bars and front strut tower brace keep the GR Supra unbelievably composed and pliable.

Is it as overall vicious and visceral as accelerating a big turbo MKIV Supra? No. It’s infinitely more controlled and manageable. But the way it accelerates — with a blast of power at the higher end of the rev range — is not dissimilar. Coupled with the Pilot Super Sport tires, it feels almost impossible for the car to get bent out of shape whilst going around a corner. You really can corner as fast as you dare. With the exception of when the tires are either cold or wet, the car grips the road ferociously and body roll is virtually non-existent.

What’s really amazing is that you would think the Supra would feel like it's on rails — like you as the driver isn't really connected to whatever operation the car is performing. But the Supra doesn’t feel that way at all. It feels organic. Sharp responses to inputs, plenty of feedback to the driver and an active exhaust which crackles and pops when you let off the throttle helps enforce this “organic” feel. A lot.

Would a manual transmission make the experience even better? Undoubtedly. Toyota’s decision to not offer a manual on the current Supra is simply baffling. But as it stands, there is no lack of fun… or speed to be had.

The Supra’s real party trick, however, is just how comfortable, calm and quiet it is with Sport Mode turned off. It’s sofa couch levels of comfort. I’ve never driven a sports car that’s even half as comfortable in the city or in traffic. The leather seats help a lot. They’re 14-way power adjustable units with some of the best side bolstering I’ve ever experienced. I’d say they’re about as well-bolstered as the Honda Civic Type-R. However, unlike the Type R’s red buckets, the Supra seats are nowhere near as stiff and much, much comfier for long-distance driving.

It’s not even hopelessly uneconomical. The worst fuel mileage I could manage was 10.5L/100km.
Probably the biggest strike against the Supra is its BMW-sourced infotainment system. Navigating through the 8.8-inch touch screen with the Touchpad Rotary Control will make you question if the system’s UI designer has ever met a human being before. The menus you want feel as if they’re hidden behind multiple option trees, and selecting your desired function is never as intuitive as you feel it should be. There are short-cut buttons placed around the wheel to access each of the primary menu trees. However they’re difficult to read from the driver’s seat.
However, the 12 Speaker JBL Audio System is excellent, so once you do get your music playing, you’ll be a very happy camper.

Finally, it has to be said that the Supra is very, very difficult to see out of. The giant b-pillars and narrow rear window mean you can’t check your blind spots. At all. A blind spot monitor with rear cross traffic alert helps to remedy this problem. But you’ll still find yourself changing lanes and turning at intersections with your fingers crossed.

If you want to compare the new GR Supra to the old MKIV, you have to look at the facts. It’s a rear-wheel-drive, sports-coupe with a turbocharged, closed-deck inline six and a sub four-second 0-100 km/h time. The formula is correct and so are the performance numbers.
But the past is the past and so I think it’s more interesting to look at how the GR Supra sits in the current marketplace.

Granted, $70,000 is an odd place to be. For $15,000 less, you could have yourself a Mustang GT Performance Pack 2. For about $5,000 more, you could have a BMW M2. Both offer similar performance. Both are icons. Both are purchases nobody would question you for making.

However, both the Mustang and the Bimmer get lost in a crowd. Both are commonplace and even somewhat ubiquitous. The Supra is anything but. Its styling, its presence, its badge are all immediately recognizable and have the ability to excite passersby. It stands out because it’s different. And that means it’s special.

In the week I had one, I got stopped at gas stations, swarmed by car enthusiasts in parking lots and asked by parents to rev the engine as a way to make their kids laugh and exclaim, “cool!”

The GR Supra is a different choice. An interesting choice. The kind of choice made by an individual who doesn’t subscribe to the groupthink of modern car culture. But most importantly, it’s the kind of choice that will put a smile on people’s faces.

https://www.simcoe.com/community-story/10222653-review-2021-toyota-gr-supra/

Last edited:

Grendel-13

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 2015 BMW 435xi
One Mistake I heard in video. It is a touch screen besides using the dial. If the touch screen isn't working right it might still have protective plastic on top of it.

Last edited:

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
2021 Toyota Supra Review – Baby Supra Grows Up!
dedfd104744d792a130c095e51192287?s=36&d=mm&r=g.jpg
Nigel Atkinson November 4, 2020

Some people said the 2020 Toyota Supra felt too much like a BMW, which is not surprising since it uses a BMW platform, engine, and drivetrain……….. so, what did they expect? It’s no bad thing either, BMW’s straight-six turbo is one of the best. The real problem was that the 2020 Supra was down on power to its BMW Z4 sibling by 47 hp and despite being a fantastic drive, it felt like it ran out of steam in the higher reaches.
Thankfully Toyota listened and much to the chagrin of the people that bought the 2020 model, for a premium in a lot of cases, they have matched the BMW Z4 M40i’s power.

What’s New for 2021?
The new mill in the 2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 produces 382 horsepower and 365 lb-ft of torque mated to ZF’s eight-speed automatic, the only available transmission. Toyota has made numerous changes to get to these numbers, including a new cylinder head with a fully separate exhaust manifold, revised pistons to reduce the compression ratio from 11.0:1 to 10.2:1. They have also increased boost by using a larger turbocharger.
Toyota didn’t stop there though, they did some chassis and damper tuning, tweaked the electric power steering, the adaptive variable suspension, electronic stability control, and active differential programming. New front and rear bump stops and aluminum braces were added to increase lateral rigidity and achieve the goal of increasing roll resistance and improve cornering stability. Guess what? It worked.

How Quick is it?

Acceleration is actually no quicker than the outgoing model, in the all-important 0-60 dash it still takes 3.8 seconds, which is pretty quick for a rear-wheel-drive car. Don’t despair though the extra power reveals itself in the upper reaches and is positively delightful.

Still looks stunning
There is no doubt though that the Supra is way better looking than the Z4, it just looks so very Japanese, the curves and creases the perfect proportions, and that inwardly curving roof are utterly beautiful. It’s a real head turner and I can’t count the number of passers-by that stopped and stared.
DSC02854-300x300.jpg

DSC02864-300x300.jpg

DSC02867-300x300.jpg

DSC02855-300x300.jpg

DSC02876-300x300.jpg

DSC02858-300x300.jpg

DSC02869-300x300.jpg

DSC02872-300x300.jpg

DSC02854.jpg

Driving Impressions
The first thing you notice is the refreshed 3.0-liter pulls really hard all the way to its 7000-rpm redline at the same time making glorious noises out the back. As you set off there’s a hair of initial turbo lag followed by a steady surge of power and the thrust continues at much higher speeds than before. The steering is very accurate, well-weighted, and feels crisper than before, it’s massively fun to flick through tight turns.

Head out to the mountains East of San Diego and the changes all start to make sense, this car loves the turns, whereas the 2020 car was somewhat hoppity over mid-turn bumps and it really wanted to get sideways. Now you have a more mature feeling car, its chassis is planted, well-composed and feels perfectly balanced. It sticks well too, thanks to the Michelin Pilot Super Sport summer tires on those superb rims.
This is one of the best driving cars period!
Toyota has kept it simple with its drive mode options, there’s just two, Normal and Sport. Normal provides fairly serene forward motion and the engine note is fairly subdued, Sport provides the fun, the throttle, transmission, steering, exhaust, dampers, and limited-slip differential all become more aggressive.

The first thing you notice in Sport mode is the snarl from the exhaust on the overrun, it’s positively addictive and I spent a lot of time letting off the gas just to hear it. It does sound more subdued than before, there’s less teenage angst, the Supra has grown up. l
It rides quite calmly too despite having a short wheelbase, mid-corner bumps are well controlled, it simply doesn’t put a foot wrong in any situation. Given the speed that the car can reach it has a decent set of stoppers, the front rotors are 13.7 inches in diameter and the rears are 13 inches and fade-free during our aggressive driving stints.
2021-GR-Supra-A91_Interior_001-300x300.jpg

9_DEE36D71C5C6D571EC765C839DCAB86DB09485A8-300x300.jpg

1_C0E32D185AA5775531EDE99D7E1374CFDE54206C-300x300.jpg

2021-GR-Supra-2.0_Interior_002-300x300.jpg

2021-GR-Supra-A91_Interior_001.jpg

Inside
Let’s get past the obvious here, the Supra is a BMW inside which is no bad thing, the material quality is great, and everything is well placed and easy to find. The only downside is space, the sills are very wide and those of a larger build will find it a squeeze. That said the seats are superb with multiway power including the side bolsters, to hold you in nice and snug, and the driving position is great. It is a bit difficult to see out especially over the shoulder, so it’s best to rely on the side view mirrors and blind-spot monitoring, which comes with the $1,195 Driver Assist Package ($1,195).
With no rear seats, there’s limited space for stuff, however, the rear trunk lid is a hatch and offers 10 cubic feet of space, and if you remove the rear parcel shelf your dog could enjoy the ride too. Not really.
The infotainment is intuitive and equipment levels are good, my 3.0 Premium trim tester included heated leather seats, a head-up display, an 8.8-inch infotainment touch screen, a 12-speaker audio system, and slightly larger rear rotors than the base car.

Verdict
With more power and the aforementioned modifications that Toyota has made, this car is simply sensational and an absolute joy to drive, in fact, I made every excuse to drive it, including forgetting certain items on shopping trips on purpose.
The more powerful 2021 model might not make last year’s buyers happy but that’s the price you pay for wanting to be first and despite a rumored hotter version coming I would still go out and get this one, it’s just magnificent!

2021 Toyota Supra Numbers
BASE PRICE: $54,490
PRICE AS TESTED: $56,785
VEHICLE TYPE: Front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 2-passenger, 2-door hatchback
ENGINE TYPE: Turbocharged and inter-cooled DOHC inline-6
POWER: 382 hp @ 6500 rpm
TORQUE: 365 lb-ft @ 1600 rpm
TRANSMISSION: 8-speed automatic with manual shifting mode
CURB WEIGHT: 3,397 lb
ZERO to 60 mph: 3.8 sec
TOP SPEED: 155 mph
TIRES: Michelin Pilot Super Sport, Front: 255/35 ZR-19, Rear: 275/35 ZR-19
EPA FUEL ECONOMY: Combined/City/highway 25/22/30
OUR OBSERVED: 17.1 mpg
PROS: Scintillating handling, fantastic crackling exhaust, superbly quick
CONS: Very snug inside, not much storage

https://www.business2community.com/automotive/2021-toyota-supra-review-baby-supra-grows-up-02359643

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2021-toyota-supra-premium-likes-dislikes/

2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium: Little Things We Like and Dislike

Toyota’s new Supra is fun, but the manufacturer can easily make improvements.

LOS ANGELES—On the first night of a scheduled multi-day stint in the 2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium, it also happened to be the same day a friend from back home came to visit. He hadn't a clue about the car I was driving, and I kept it a secret until we walked out onto the street where the little beast of a sports car was parked and ready. When the taillights illuminated and the Supra emblem in its brush script typeface revealed itself, my friend melted with excitement into the little kid within. We buckled up in the snug, black leather-trimmed buckets, and pointed the Supra toward the majestic scenic roads of Palos Verdes.

Packing a punchy, turbocharged inline-six making 382 horsepower, I didn't need to force the throttle much before the exhaust began to emit a sound that denoted something good was happening. The nearly empty roads lent the Supra all of the breathing space to run, and its killer instinct at sudden turns was on the money, though the spirited cornering had my friend reaching for the oh-$&!^-handle as if we were about to go off the rails.

Toyota says the 2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium will hit 60 mph in 3.8 seconds, and the car leaves little doubt as to the claim's accuracy: Hammer the gas pedal, and you're pushed back into the seats as the Supra darts forward like Jerry Rice dashing down the sideline toward the end zone. At this point, my passenger momentarily appeared downright scared, and I smiled at the Supra's satisfying performance.

To make up for the madness, we picked up a to-go order of sushi and situated the Phantom-coated Supra 3.0 Premium in a far corner of an adequately illuminated parking lot. As Tame Impala serenaded us, we cracked open our dinner and naturally began talking about the things we liked and disliked in the rear-wheel-drive coupe with a spitfire personality. The following day, Angeles Crest seemed like the right thing to do, and so we joined another group for a cruise up the two-lane road.

The high-performance Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires handled the asphalt superbly, but still, my co-driver suggested I take it easy given the damp road surface. He was correct, too, as good advice is always better to accept than letting your evil ego win. A bit later, zigzagging farther up the mountain road amplified the fun, but our excursion was cut short due to a road closure. Nonetheless, it was a memorable send off for an out-of-town visitor.
For my final runs with the go-getter Supra, I spent most of the day attacking other famous roads around Los Angeles, including Mulholland Dr. and Topanga Canyon Blvd. In between the two, I squeezed in a detour to Lake Balboa and the Nike Missile Launch Site LA-88 in Chatsworth, an abandoned Cold War-era launch site covered in graffiti. The sun was sinking quickly, though, and I took the 2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium for an ice-cream stop before saying goodbye with a night drive down Topanga and Pacific Coast Hwy. It wasn't easy to let go of the keys, so I compiled this quick list from my notes as a reminder of the experience's notable takeaways:

2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium Likes
  • Ambiguous and minimalistic instrument-gauge cluster
  • Windows lower by holding the key-fob's unlock button
  • Black Alcantara/leather-trimmed sport seats
  • Double-bubble roof design
  • Mean and spirited exhaust sound
  • Carbon-fiber interior trim
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium Dislikes
  • Boring keyless remote
  • Massive fuel-door cover
  • Uninspiring steering-wheel design
  • No exterior trunk-release button