3rd gen G29 BMW Z4 (2019-202X)

bogglo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus GS
Since BMW was to provide the chassis and engine it only made sense that Toyota will put in their share of the money so BMW can move forward with developing the next Z4. BMW provided Toyota with a version of the Z4 that Toyota can call their own.

We don’t know to what extent they truly collaborated on things, that is yet to be revealed.

So if you were to believe his statement, bmw build a Z4 and provided Toyota with their own version to tinker with to further separate the two. It makes perfect sense. He just said he was not involved or has knowledge what Toyota did with the car after they delivered on their end.
Let’s be logical. What would he give Toyota credit for? BMW developed the car and gave it to Toyota to tinker with, end of story. Where did you get information that Toyota did any work on the Z4?

You have to ignore the rumors to be able to take it at face value. It doesn’t seem like the car was co-developed, it was more like co-funded.
Is This a fact or your opinion. No attacks here just a question?
Sponsored

bogglo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus GS
Look, we just don’t know the actual details. I think that in its core the Supra is a Z4 that Toyota used as a starting point, at least that’s what I hope. Lets wait and see what Toyota has for us and then we’ll know what’s what. Let’s not take anything personal and let’s not get excited about rumors until they can be verified.
Agree with you on this.

SS900

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo
Is This a fact or your opinion. No attacks here just a question?
Not a fact by any means, it’s an assumption based on the answers provided. Was just trying to make sense of it.

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
You forgot a very important part of that article.

"Fuel Cell System, Sports Vehicle, Lightweight Technology and Lithium-air Battery Collaboration to Commence"

That article was not about the Supra/z4 it was a larger scale deal made between Toyota and bmw.

It also says mid size sport vehicle and most importantly it says the two companies will start thinking about what car they should even build. I am sure a lot of things and plans changed since that article was written.
What other Sports Vehicle is BMW and Toyota working on? Yes it was outlining multiple points of the co-collaboration; which also included the joint sports car.

Maybe they were referring to European mid size classification?

SS900

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo
What other Sports Vehicle is BMW and Toyota working on? Yes it was outlining multiple points of the co-collaboration; which also included the joint sports car.

Maybe they were referring to European mid size classification?
I am saying that at the time they didn’t know what that sports car would be (size, power and so on) that’s why it said mid-size sports car. Then I added it seems a lot has changed since the initial announcement. We don’t know if the z4 and A90 we see today is the same idea (concept) that was back then. We also don’t know the percentage of collaboration each company put in to make the z4/A90, collaboration can mean many things, doesn’t have to mean development. We just don’t have any facts at the moment.

Chikane

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hmm What AM I driving?
Honestly, I thought the grey car(silver?) s the best version of the car we've seen so far. The Black Chrome (Metallic/Gold?) Outlines actually made the car looks more "BMW" and less like the KIA Stinger espicially the Grill imho.

bmw-z4-m40i.jpg

Last edited:

SS900

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo
A lot of people over at Bimmerpost were complaining about the new grille looking like the Kia Stinger (and somehow that's Toyota's fault). So here is how it would have looked like with the E89's grille.

2019-bmw-z4.jpg
I actually like this better, more aggressive.

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Honestly, I thought the grey car(silver?) s the best version of the car we've seen so far. The Black Chrome (Metallic/Gold?) Outlines actually made the car looks more "BMW" and less like the KIA Stinger espicially the Grill imho.

bmw-z4-m40i.jpg
I also love that color! I hope Toyota also offers some special limited edition colors.

BP member blacked out the grille.

2019-bmw-z4.jpg

Another person changed the color. Looks like gold??? :dunno:

attachment.png

I actually like this better, more aggressive.
Same here, I prefer the traditional BMW grille. But I wouldn't be surprised if aftermarket ones start showing up on eBay in the near future.

SS900

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo
Maybe they are saving that grille for the sport package model.

elpadrino

First Name
eL
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus RC350F, bmw E92, ducati monster
As a Toyota fan and a person who's been burned by BMW "reliability" twice, I don't really get the hate behind this collaboration. People seem to be really butt-hurt about the idea that this car was co-developed with BMW.

It's been said many times that the tuning, handling, set up is completely Toyota and very different from the Z4. Whether it's a BMW underneath matters the least to me. In fact if this turns out to be a BMW with Toyota reliability along with the various stats that we've heard, this is an instant buy for me. Especially if it comes about 5-6k underneath the Z4 which has always been overpriced for me.

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
A lot of people over at Bimmerpost were complaining about the new grille looking like the Kia Stinger (and somehow that's Toyota's fault). So here is how it would have looked like with the E89's grille.

2019-bmw-z4.jpg
now it looks like the AMG GTR