3rd gen G29 BMW Z4 (2019-202X)

rtoadyt

First Name
Reto
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
Ppl say Zupr4 looks better irl, does that apply to this fit pig?

Advertisement

kona61

First Name
Josh
Reaction score
Car(s)
5G 4Runner, MK7 Golf, AZW LE Supra
Vehicle Showcase
Ppl say Zupr4 looks better irl, does that apply to this fit pig?
I saw it Saturday in person. I think it looks good but my buddy said I looked like a bug. He also thinks the new vantage is pretty. It is surprisingly small in person.

rtoadyt

First Name
Reto
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
New vantage is pretty, it bothers me that they didn't give the grille that good old aston martin signature design, but the rest of the car is so good that the grille is somewhat forgettable. Can't wait til they put the v12 in it!

kona61

First Name
Josh
Reaction score
Car(s)
5G 4Runner, MK7 Golf, AZW LE Supra
Vehicle Showcase
New vantage is pretty, it bothers me that they didn't give the grille that good old aston martin signature design, but the rest of the car is so good that the grille is somewhat forgettable. Can't wait til they put the v12 in it!
I think it's pretty damn hideous. That rear light is so gloopy and melted looking. And the front looks like a catfish.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
AM got sick of people saying that their cars looked the same

oldbutslow

First Name
Bob
Reaction score
Car(s)
Motorcycle Guy
If a car review could be called "shallow", this would be the one.

twntrbo03'

Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 Supra Turbo Quicksilver ---1993 Supra Turbo Anthracite --- 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4
So my buddy messaged me today local dealer has Z4 on the lot. I was on the way into my office and thought Id check it out since Toyota didnt have one at the Pittsburgh Car Show. Its a little smaller in person then pictures show. The interior is very nice lots of room for me Im 6'2" 230lbs. The fit and finish its very nice wheel felt very nice in hand quality is there little nicer then my wifes new Lexus interior. Started it up sounds nice didnt get to drive or rev etc. It was just a quick stop but I plan to go back to test drive.

I have a depsoit down on the Supra at the Toyota dealership five miles up the road. The BMW salesman said I could get a Z4 spec the way I want in 3-4 weeks.

53510652_10216695165443672_4174962121588604928_n.jpg
Toyota FJ cruiser for the win!!

scoates

Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 GT86, 2020 Supra A90 Edition
So I had my test drive today in the Z4 M40i, and overall it was really good. I don't have much to compare it to just yet other than my GT86 so I'll use that as a base for comparison.

Power wise it was really good, plenty of grunt and seemed like a strong engine, lots of torque. For road driving (UK twisty back roads) it was perfect. Even though it "only" has 335hp I felt it was enough.

The car felt stable and I had plenty of confidence in it, however when going back into the 86 I felt I could tell what the car was doing a lot more in it, you get a better feel for the road in the 86. The steering was also better in the 86, it felt more direct than the Z4, although the Z4 definitely firms up at higher speeds and in Sport mode.

The cabin was very nicely done out, seats comfortable with plenty of adjustment but with the roof up felt slightly claustrophobic due to small rear window and a wind deflector behind it too meaning very little rear visibility. I think this would be improved in the Supra with the glass in the rear hatch.

Overall it felt very capable, and the drivetrain (which was the main point of the test-drive) felt great. I hope the areas that I didn't enjoy as much like the steering will be some of the parts that are tweaked by Toyota. In one pre-production review they likened the Supra steering to the 86 so I hope this is the case. Surprisingly I didn't miss the manual too much, it did feel slightly less involved but at the speeds the box can change with the speeds the car can carry on the road I felt to have a manual I would have to slow down much more to drive it confidently. The platform I would agree with some of the comments that it is very easy to drive, and easy to drive fast.

I'm also planning on testing some other cars like the M2, Cayman S and potentially F-Type and GT-R also for more comparisons in the lead up to the Supra test drive so I'll hopefully be able to compare it well to the competition.

Advertisement

Advertisement