3rd gen G29 BMW Z4 (2019-202X)

xantonin

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2003 Celica GT-S
Particulate filters are what diesel engines use to capture soot.

This was not normally a problem with petro/gasoline engines until direct injection became more common, making it a new emissions requirement in the future for direct injection vehicles.
Sponsored

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
Particulate filters are what diesel engines use to capture soot.

This was not normally a problem with petro/gasoline engines until direct injection became more common, making it a new emissions requirement in the future for direct injection vehicles.
I couldn’t wait to throw that filter off my truck as soon as I got it. Lol useless item that uses diesel to clean itself. Without it.. a truck will typically yield three to four miles per gallon. So.. use more fossil fuel and emit less or use less fossil fuel and emit just a tad more? Hmmmmm

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Not really a surprised, but its now official.

• BMW Z4 marks the fifth vehicle nameplate Magna is producing in Graz, Austria, for customers
  • Production will start at the end of 2018
  • Magna’s unique capabilities make it an ideal mobility partner
SAILAUF, Germany, June 05, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Magna adds to its contract vehicle manufacturing line-up in Graz, Austria, with the addition of the new BMW Z4. Production is scheduled to begin at the end of 2018. This business further strengthens Magna's position as the world's leading brand-independent vehicle contract manufacturer.

"Our expertise in complete vehicle engineering and production makes us unique and the ideal partner for the industry," says Günther Apfalter, President of Magna Europe and Magna Steyr. "We are very pleased that we can further strengthen our relationship with the BMW Group and continue to solidify our overall position in the industry with new business like this."

Magna’s cooperation with the Bavarian premium manufacturer started in 2001. In 2003 the first BMW X3 manufactured by Magna rolled off the production line, followed by a series of other models. Since 2017, a part of the total volume of the BMW 5 Series has been manufactured by Magna both with a combustion engine and as a hybrid version.

As a supplier with collective expertise across multiple product areas and the ability to build complete vehicles, the company is uniquely positioned to continue to partner with traditional automakers as well as new entrants in the new mobility landscape. Magna has more than 100 years of experience in vehicle production, in excess of three million vehicles produced to date, and a broad range of engineering and support services.

TAGS
BMW Z4, contract vehicle manufacturing, Magna Steyr

INVESTOR CONTACT
Louis Tonelli, Vice-President, Investor Relations
[email protected], 905.726.7035

MEDIA CONTACT
Tracy Fuerst, Global Director of Corporate Communications & PR
[email protected], 248.631.5396

Rej Husetovic, Director Corporate Communications & Media Relations Europe
[email protected], (+49) 6093 9942-5056

About MAGNA
We have more than 172,000 entrepreneurial-minded employees dedicated to delivering mobility solutions. We are a mobility technology company and one of the world's largest automotive suppliers with 340 manufacturing operations and 93 product development, engineering and sales centres in 28 countries. Our competitive capabilities include body exteriors and structures, power and vision technologies, seating systems and complete vehicle solutions. Our common shares trade on the Toronto Stock Exchange (MG) and the New York Stock Exchange (MGA). For further information about Magna, visit www.magna.com.
https://globenewswire.com/news-rele...-to-Produce-the-new-Z4-for-the-BMW-Group.html

Mike Myers

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MB E350e, MB V250, (no longer: BMW 430D xDrive)

The best BMW in history will be known to be built by Toyota. Haha!
LOL
You made my day! So let’s see, maybe the best Supra in history will be known to built by BMW ;)

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
No mention of the Supra. :hmm:
which makes sense since all rumors were suggesting the Z4 would be produced and launched first..and it matches the piece of paper we saw in the Z4 last year

2018-bmw-z4-s20i-interior-spyshots-reveal-specs-and-6-speed-manual-gearbox_3-jpg.jpg

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
Yeah no kidding, Toyota isn't building shit. I'd be surprised if the new supra even has a single component built by Toyota on it (the BRZ has a Toyota tranny, diff, power steering and EFI system).

And I'm not sure the new Z4 could be considered the best BMW, we'll see. We also don't know how the top of the line Supra will stack up with the forthcoming Z4 M roadster.

Man I sure hope the hardtop (Supra) drops some serious weight, that is one heavy roadster.

Honestly it couldn't have worked out better for me. I've always wanted a BMW but did not want to deal with all the maintenance, reliability issues, or price gouging. I've always respected Toyota for their perspective on reliability. So to have Toyota building a BMW...dreams do come true lmao
Wow, hate to break it to you, BMW is building, expect all of the usual reliability and maintenance issues. Price gouging? Well bet on it when you go to buy parts from the dealer at the very least.

Other weird things I read in this thread...

Any spec you read with a (est) means its a guesstimate, incl all of those mileage and 0-60 numbers.

Macpherson struts, while they make some things simpler for the aftermarket, generally, just suck in comparison to wishbones. Yes you can design them out of the box to work well, but they do not adapt well to changes in ride height and they have shitty camber curves, unless you arc your struts in at a crazy angle, which defeats their space saving advantage so no one does that. As for weight savings over double wishbones, that's pretty apples to oranges. Sure you have more control arm to deal with, but you can make the shock smaller and generally more expensive cars use wishbones so they use aluminum for the arms instead of steel and get all the weight gain back. Plus, there is way less unsprung weight in a wishbone setup vs a mac strut, and that's where it really matters from the drivers seat. Regardless, manufacturers only go with MacStruts to save money, that is it.

Overall, glad to hear the reviews of the Z4 being so positive, that bodes well. No manual even on the Z4 though? Booo

Last edited:

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
oh shit right, I was thinking of the closed deck/open deck difference for the change from n55 to B series.

hmmm, torn about that difference then. Great for ease of rebuilding and high boost obviously, but sucks for the weight gain.

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
Wow, hate to break it to you, BMW is building, expect all of the usual reliability and maintenance issues. Price gouging? Well bet on it when you go to buy parts from the dealer at the very least.
Lol, I see this kind of response all the time. Tada-san was quoted in an interview saying that this Supra will have the "level of quality" people expect from Toyota products. As far as price gouging goes, parts I can live with, but the extra cost per hour of labor that BMW charges vs Toyota is more in line with what I'm talking about.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
The supra isn't going to use the B58 as a base. it has a parts bin special with new bits, in order to meet Toyota's design requirements. BMW may use either new engine or B58, unsure

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Given BMWs goals and user base, it would be more in their benefit to stay with the B58 or other aluminum block I6.

That said, we shall see.

KRaZi

First Name
Krish
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.krishneil.com
Car(s)
JZX110 Mark II IR-V
I think some sort of social media is being shown the Supra either with camo or not. I'm inferring here, but TJ Hunt on youtube hinted at being shown a prototype by Toyota in a huge top secret presentation just last week. He's based in San Diego.
Sponsored