A80 Toyota Supra

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Glad he figured out that he ultimately did not want the Supra and is happier now but what happened and how he tried to deal with it suggests to me that he isnā€™t really all that used to working on cars. And with any car like this... you kind of have to be willing to (to an extent) in order to maintain and repair them affordably.

I donā€™t know his channel so maybe heā€™s actually quite handy with tools and repairs but I did not get that impression.

Maybe there were too many factors getting in his way such as restrictions in his home and parking space.

His complaint as to the fuel economy I canā€™t argue withā€” 2JZ-GE NA engines and especially 2JZ-GTE engines have ā€œacceptableā€ fuel economy at best but that is just part of the tradeoff for what the engines and the cars they are installed into can do.

Itā€™s sad that he did not or simply could not stick with the vehicle long enough to rebuild his stock engine into an NA-T or swap a 2JZ-GTE into it but he sounds much happier not going to the trouble of doing so... and admittedly it is a lot of work. Still, that just comes with the territory and it is in no way remotely affordable unless you can dig in and do at least some of the work yourself.

The R33 Skyline coupe is not a lightweight car but the A80 Supra, despite its weight, isnā€™t exactly a ā€œboatā€ either. With a non-turbo engine and automatic it can feel very sluggish though.

When my SC300 5-speed was still non-turbo the weight was certainly a factor but the main issue came down to it being naturally aspirated. It and the Supra sibling were both intended to have turbocharged engines to offset the weight and size of the platform.

That being said I had fun with my SC manual in non-turbo form. An MKIV Supra NA being at least 200lbs lighter only improves on that power to weight ratio with a slightly shorter wheelbase.

Ultimately Iā€™m glad this fellow feels happier and free to find a car that truly makes him happy. ANY special performance car has to put a smile on your face for it to be worth the occasional troubles and upkeep. It sounds like he made a good decision to find what vehicle will truly put a smile on his face.

I just think he didnā€™t quite give his MKIV dream car enough of a chance to have a good experience with it. Usually when an old 2JZ-GE engine gives up that is an excuse to rebuild it with preparations for a turbo or swap it to a GTE.

Maybe in his circumstances this was just not possible or feasible and that is okay and understandable. Financially a Supra MKIV (or MKIII) is never a cheap classic car to own especially if you donā€™t plan to do a fair amount of the work on it yourself.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
That's what I got from his video too. It seems as though he left out a lot major details (aside from his story about the mechanic and spare engine ordeal) that lead up to him selling the car. Seeing that it was parked outside with a car cover in the middle of winter was a good indication that he didn't have the space to actually work on the car along with the capability to actually work on it himself.

There are countless DIY videos and forums on how to work on MKIV's so it's a shame that he tapped out so easily.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That's what I got from his video too. It seems as though he left out a lot major details (aside from his story about the mechanic and spare engine ordeal) that lead up to him selling the car. Seeing that it was parked outside with a car cover in the middle of winter was a good indication that he didn't have the space to actually work on the car along with the capability to actually work on it himself.

There are countless DIY videos and forums on how to work on MKIV's so it's a shame that he tapped out so easily.
Agreed. And yes it does seem like he was constrained on space to do a lot of work on it himself. Whether or not he is comfortable doing the work himself is an unknown but with all of the online DIY documentation and available TSRM PDFs online and with the access to tools and parts between online OEM parts ordering, tons of specialty parts suppliers, the ability to order virtually any tool required and with forum classifieds and worldwide ebay listings for rare discontinued parts there is a wealth of resources available to any classic car owner today.

My SC300ā€™s 2JZ-GE engine went out on me after 250k miles and without a garage (and intermittent rain) or prior experience doing so I still built most of an entire engine myself (I left the short block rotating assembly and cylinder head valve work to professionals) and installed it myself with some help from a family member while using the 2-ton crane.

And with the help of online resources and amazing fellow enthusiast owner friends online I did the work of rewiring the engine harness myself.

Was that a lot of work and did it take some time to complete? You bet it was and you bet it did. There were times when I wanted to throw an anvil at the car out of frustration and anger at the difficulty and any time I had to learn from a mistake.

But I was determined to fix my car with the engine I wanted installed and working reliably no matter what it took.

I fought for that goal tooth and nail and I got it. And I have for the most part had to do most of the work myself and what I did not know how to do... I learned how to do with as close to professional results as I could muster.

Is it better to buy an original or fully completed Supra Turbo to begin with? Sure. But that is not what everyone starts out with or gets into the door with when they get themselves an example of a car they love and want to have set up exactly how they want it to be set up. Clean MKIVā€™s are becoming more scarce every year as are certain replacement parts.

I am not saying this guy made the wrong decision. I still say that it is the decision that truly makes him happy that is the right decision.

But if you start out with a non-turbo Supra (or non-turbo SC or Soarer) then extra work and dedication will be required to reach an end goal of having a turbo engine installed in a good and reliable way.

It is not a project for everyone to undertake given what is required and that is OK. Maybe he will find an MKIV TT that he really loves down the road And maybe he will find another vehicle that brings him real joy to own. That is still the main thing that matters for anyone. The rest is what it takes to find and achieve that for yourself.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Agreed. And yes it does seem like he was constrained on space to do a lot of work on it himself. Whether or not he is comfortable doing the work himself is an unknown but with all of the online DIY documentation and available TSRM PDFs online and with the access to tools and parts between online OEM parts ordering, tons of specialty parts suppliers, the ability to order virtually any tool required and with forum classifieds and worldwide ebay listings for rare discontinued parts there is a wealth of resources available to any classic car owner today.

My SC300ā€™s 2JZ-GE engine went out on me after 250k miles and without a garage (and intermittent rain) or prior experience doing so I still built most of an entire engine myself (I left the short block rotating assembly and cylinder head valve work to professionals) and installed it myself with some help from a family member while using the 2-ton crane.

And with the help of online resources and amazing fellow enthusiast owner friends online I did the work of rewiring the engine harness myself.

Was that a lot of work and did it take some time to complete? You bet it was and you bet it did. There were times when I wanted to throw an anvil at the car out of frustration and anger at the difficulty and any time I had to learn from a mistake.

But I was determined to fix my car with the engine I wanted installed and working reliably no matter what it took.

I fought for that goal tooth and nail and I got it. And I have for the most part had to do most of the work myself and what I did not know how to do... I learned how to do with as close to professional results as I could muster.

Is it better to buy an original or fully completed Supra Turbo to begin with? Sure. But that is not what everyone starts out with or gets into the door with when they get themselves an example of a car they love and want to have set up exactly how they want it to be set up. Clean MKIVā€™s are becoming more scarce every year as are certain replacement parts.

I am not saying this guy made the wrong decision. I still say that it is the decision that truly makes him happy that is the right decision.

But if you start out with a non-turbo Supra (or non-turbo SC or Soarer) then extra work and dedication will be required to reach an end goal of having a turbo engine installed in a good and reliable way.

It is not a project for everyone to undertake given what is required and that is OK. Maybe he will find an MKIV TT that he really loves down the road And maybe he will find another vehicle that brings him real joy to own. That is still the main thing that matters for anyone. The rest is what it takes to find and achieve that for yourself.
As petrol heads, we've all been there. I haven't gone extreme with my MKIV but I've done all of the wrenching myself as well as with my other cars and motorcycles. I have a buddy of mine who is in year 5 of his Supra build. He started off with a MKIV NA/W58 and is going GTE single turbo. I think he bit off more then he can chew and jumped the gun with the full swap and single turbo build at the same time. I would have done the swap, get the car fired up and then start the build.

This guy gave up too soon and seems indecisive since he's already on the hunt for his next JDM car.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
As petrol heads, we've all been there. I haven't gone extreme with my MKIV but I've done all of the wrenching myself as well as with my other cars and motorcycles. I have a buddy of mine who is in year 5 of his Supra build. He started off with a MKIV NA/W58 and is going GTE single turbo. I think he bit off more then he can chew and jumped the gun with the full swap and single turbo build at the same time. I would have done the swap, get the car fired up and then start the build.

This guy gave up too soon and seems indecisive since he's already on the hunt for his next JDM car.
I took almost six years to get my GTE swap installed and running, though the engine build phase only took a year and a half and Iā€™d already upgraded the suspension, brakes and installed an R154 transmission by that time.

It is certainly easier to do things in phases. I had to plan my vehicleā€˜s downtime in advance since I daily it.

DesmoSD you know firsthand how it goes. Itā€™s difficult to own one of these cars without working on it yourself to an extent.

Your friend may have the right idea doing it all at once if itā€™s not his daily car and if he knows exactly what specs he wants from the start.

I do think this guy in the video gave up too easily but again, it is the right decision if he comes out happier in the end.

Like you I just question if he knows what he ultimately wants if his dream car discouraged him that easily. Maybe a factory twin turbo will be in his future or maybe it will be something else.

I just wonder how long he would have kept an MKIV that is a factory TT or pre-built NA-T.

Some people keep the cars they seek out for a long time and some want to experience a great number of cars in a shorter period of time.

Years ago I was in a tough situation and had to sell the classic 60ā€™s Mustang that I absolutely loved, flaws and all. I didnā€™t have the money to restomod and restore it at the time and I was not in possession of the mechanic skills and confidence that I have today. I just had to sell it back then. It was just a normal model but it was my dream car and to be honest I am still sad about having to let it go. I almost bought another one years later but it needed a ton of work. Itā€™s still on my mind to get one again someday.

Iā€™m not sure how he feels about owning the right MKIV but thatā€™s how I would feel in that position.

Last edited:

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I took almost six years to get my GTE swap installed and running, though the engine build phase only took a year and a half and Iā€™d already upgraded the suspension, brakes and installed an R154 transmission by that time.

It is certainly easier to do things in phases. I had to plan my vehicleā€˜s downtime in advance since I daily it.

DesmoSD you know firsthand how it goes. Itā€™s difficult to own one of these cars without working on it yourself to an extent.

Your friend may have the right idea doing it all at once if itā€™s not his daily car and if he knows exactly what specs he wants from the start.

I do think this guy in the video gave up too easily but again, it is the right decision if he comes out happier in the end.

Like you I just question if he knows what he ultimately wants if his dream car discouraged him that easily. Maybe a factory twin turbo will be in his future or maybe it will be something else.

I just wonder how long he would have kept an MKIV that is a factory TT or pre-built NA-T.

Some people keep the cars they seek out for a long time and some want to experience a great number of cars in a shorter period of time.

Years ago I was in a tough situation and had to sell the classic 60ā€™s Mustang that I absolutely loved, flaws and all. I didnā€™t have the money to restomod and restore it at the time and I was not in possession of the mechanic skills and confidence that I have today. I just had to sell it back then. It was just a normal model but it was my dream car and to be honest I am still sad about having to let it go. I almost bought another one years later but it needed a ton of work. Itā€™s still on my mind to get one again someday.

Iā€™m not sure how he feels about owning the right MKIV but thatā€™s how I would feel in that position.
Agree!

We don't know his financial situation but when it comes builds, rule #1 is to have a budget. 1000hp doesn't come easily. That's the problem with young DIY'ers run into is being on a limited budget. It happens to majority of us and myself included in my early 20's with turbo charged Hondas.

This guy had an ideal platform to work with. All he needed was a cherry picker, tools and a workspace. That car could have been saved and running if he took the time to tear into it.

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
I was seriously considering this for my NA turd. Just need to start saving up.

Sponsored