First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.outof.love
Car(s)
2020 Widebody 3.0 Premium / 93 FD RX7 / 90 240sx
I’m looking to do a custom set of tail lights and I absolutely do not want red plastic. I can’t find anyone currently making clear/euro style housing for these tail lights. The heritage demo car has clear tails which is the housing I’d like to have. Does anyone know if any companies are currently developing clear plastics or have links?
FE2C11AA-D659-4A9D-8030-7B76326AC962.jpeg

2264207E-D4F3-4860-8E2B-1F80FDAC8735.jpeg

Thank you!
Sponsored

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
I would love to see this too, really surprised nobody has made one yet, couldn't be that hard.

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
I'm guessing because they are LED and likely a complex board within the light to ensure they don't trip the cars warning system that no one has pursued making them due to supply shortages and production delays. They'd probably be expensive AF and would take a year to show up at your door.

Be sure to thank your politicians for the lack of taillight options! :p

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
I'm guessing because they are LED and likely a complex board within the light to ensure they don't trip the cars warning system that no one has pursued making them due to supply shortages and production delays. They'd probably be expensive AF and would take a year to show up at your door.

Thanks Obama!

OP
OP
outxlove

outxlove

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.outof.love
Car(s)

the housing itself shouldn’t present many major issues other than development costs, I would think.

I think most of us have just been happy with the stock tail lights (they do look good) I just am ready to go in a different direction that isn’t just smoking the red plastic

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I hope not another emblem project.. ;)

starman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0P
I don't mind that MKIV tail look, but honestly the OEM design just matches the modern look of the car IMO.

In fact, I wish the OE lens was clear with black housing (just like the headlight). The LEDs are colored anyways, so no need for a red lens cover IMO. Here is a photoshop mockup i did on a Grey and Red car to give you an idea what it could look like if the lights were off (when on it would technically look exactly like it does right now).

I suppose you can sort of achieve this if you "tint" the tails, but then you'd reduce the brightness of the rears (and even then you still get that "dark red wine" color) . Plus I like to see the LED outline design when off and on.

I wouldn't think it's against US DOT regulation as the Lexus LC500 and Vette C7 Z06 have that clear taillight style.

GREY.jpg

RED.jpg

EDIT: Added two more images from a YouTube video of a crashed supra. The Supra Red lens shattered, revealing that the housing is black and the LED is in fact a RED bulb. All's we need is that clear lens :D

Off.PNG

On.PNG

I suppose one could try to make their own clear lens at home >

Last edited:

Tsuki

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF
I don't mind that MKIV tail look, but honestly the OEM design just matches the modern look of the car IMO.

In fact, I wish the OE lens was clear with black housing (just like the headlight). The LEDs are colored anyways, so no need for a red lens cover IMO. Here is a photoshop mockup i did on a Grey and Red car to give you an idea what it could look like if the lights were off (when on it would technically look exactly like it does right now).

I suppose you can sort of achieve this if you "tint" the tails, but then you'd reduce the brightness of the rears (and even then you still get that "dark red wine" color) . Plus I like to see the LED outline design when off and on.

I wouldn't think it's against US DOT regulation as the Lexus LC500 and Vette C7 Z06 have that clear taillight style.
That looks fantastic! They'll save that for the GRMN, but they'll make them OLED. Don't worry, parts will be available. Pricing will be the same as the M4 GTS taillights. haha

https://ind-distribution.com/products/bmw-oem-m4-gts-oled-euro-tail-light-set

OP
OP
outxlove

outxlove

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.outof.love
Car(s)

Jamesyoz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mkv Supra (absolute white)
Ahh I want the clear lense for custom tails. It looks like his design skips having it all together for what he called an “exposed look”.

a company is in development of a clear lens So it’s just a waiting game now
which company is developing clear lenses? and what is the eta on them?
thanks!