AA Catted Downpipe + Injen/AWE Touring, res and non res (sound clips/opinion)

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23’ 3.0 Base
Idle and rev clips! I was shocked how much quieter the resonators made the Touring setup...that said the non resonated never had any rasp or nasty sounds just louder/more exotic sounding. Neither of the AWE setups have ANY DRONE, its quite shocking how loud the non-res is, without any drone. Injen is a totally different beast with the quiet normal mode and a loud/boomy/drone with the valve open. Happy I have the resonated and non-resonated mid pipes for the AWE to swap back and forth. With the stock downpipe I would 100% go non-resonated. High Flow Cat? I would lean non-res, but if you have any concern about tone or volume just do the resonated. Haven't heard the non-res without a cat, but can assume it is quite rowdy and would probably lean to the resonated setup. Enjoy the revs! (yes I know the awe emblem is a little 'off', exhaust is a pain to lineup and while the pipes/tips look great the emblem is off a bit. Always tweaking it!

Touring Resonated:

Touring Non-Res:

Injen:
Sponsored

Extreme Power House

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x-ph.com
Car(s)
18 BMW M4, 13 Mustang GT

DSG Performance

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dsgperformance.com
Car(s)
Supra, Evo X, BRZ

Avarela99

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 3.0
My touring resonated is catless and still it doesn’t drone! It was quieter with the AMS catted DP and had a very slightly deeper tone but i prefer the catless sound increase and pitch. If i wanted a valved system personally i think valvetronic designs has the best one.

OP
OP
Timmy_Jones

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23’ 3.0 Base
My touring resonated is catless and still it doesn’t drone! It was quieter with the AMS catted DP and had a very slightly deeper tone but i prefer the catless sound increase and pitch. If i wanted a valved system personally i think valvetronic designs has the best one.
That’s awesome info to add here! I wonder how closed the catted/non res sounds to yours! Sounds similar. Can’t go wrong with any touring combo honestly.

Bread1267

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium Supra (Sold), 2018 F80 M3 Comp
If anyone is interested in buy a AWE touring resonated exhaust let me know! I am selling my used one.

Extreme Power House

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x-ph.com
Car(s)
18 BMW M4, 13 Mustang GT
Yup! You were in line with the other vendors. @DSG Performance had a much lower price advertised on the touring setup!
AWE sets the advertised price; that's why all authorized dealers have the same price. If a dealer goes below that price, they are added to the do-not-sell list.

As far as I know, I do not have any messages from you asking for a price on AWE.

Stvee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2007 4Runner
If anyone is interested in buy a AWE touring resonated exhaust let me know! I am selling my used one.
I potentially could be. PM me what you're thinking price wise. I'm located in VA.

DSG Performance

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dsgperformance.com
Car(s)
Supra, Evo X, BRZ
Idle and rev clips! I was shocked how much quieter the resonators made the Touring setup...that said the non resonated never had any rasp or nasty sounds just louder/more exotic sounding. Neither of the AWE setups have ANY DRONE, its quite shocking how loud the non-res is, without any drone. Injen is a totally different beast with the quiet normal mode and a loud/boomy/drone with the valve open. Happy I have the resonated and non-resonated mid pipes for the AWE to swap back and forth. With the stock downpipe I would 100% go non-resonated. High Flow Cat? I would lean non-res, but if you have any concern about tone or volume just do the resonated. Haven't heard the non-res without a cat, but can assume it is quite rowdy and would probably lean to the resonated setup. Enjoy the revs! (yes I know the awe emblem is a little 'off', exhaust is a pain to lineup and while the pipes/tips look great the emblem is off a bit. Always tweaking it!

Touring Resonated:

Touring Non-Res:

Injen:
Has the sound changed now with a few heat cycles?

OP
OP
Timmy_Jones

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23’ 3.0 Base
Has the sound changed now with a few heat cycles?
I think like most exhaust changes you get more used to the sound of it, but overall I don't think either touring setup changed at all. I believe the 'mufflers' are just helmhotz resonators which don't have any packing. The resonators in the mid tube seem fairly run of the mill 'vibrant' style resonators which I don't believe have packing? Really the sound seems the same at mile 1 as it does so far at ~500 since I dont drive the car much! I think the longterm setup will be to stick with the resonated mid pipes and maybe swap to unresonated in the summer! @Josh/AWE or @Sara/AWE might have more info about the 'break in'. Regardless, the unresonated and a catted high flow downpipe is a 10/10 for sound quality! Resonated is a 9/10! Absolutely amazing systems, just like the one I had on my Focus RS!

Sara/AWE

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.awe-tuning.com
Car(s)
A90
I think like most exhaust changes you get more used to the sound of it, but overall I don't think either touring setup changed at all. I believe the 'mufflers' are just helmhotz resonators which don't have any packing. The resonators in the mid tube seem fairly run of the mill 'vibrant' style resonators which I don't believe have packing? Really the sound seems the same at mile 1 as it does so far at ~500 since I dont drive the car much! I think the longterm setup will be to stick with the resonated mid pipes and maybe swap to unresonated in the summer! @Josh/AWE or @Sara/AWE might have more info about the 'break in'. Regardless, the unresonated and a catted high flow downpipe is a 10/10 for sound quality! Resonated is a 9/10! Absolutely amazing systems, just like the one I had on my Focus RS!
You are correct, the 'Touring' sections are Helmholtz-style resonators with no packing material, but utilize our drone-canceling 180 Technology®. The resonators in the mid pipes are packed but are still straight-through.

Break-in period is about 1000 miles during which the system will coat with carbon and mellow out slightly.
Sponsored