Anyone Switched AA Catted Downpipe to Catless?

SlickRicATL

First Name
Ricci
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium (Red)
Has anyone gone from AA catted to catless? I have the HKS exhaust and wondering how much change in sound I'd see by going all the way catless. Looking to go a little louder. I realize there would be additional benefits but curious about sound for now. Thx -
Sponsored

ewwphil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda S2000
I recently switched but I have a stock exhaust. It’s a little bit louder now. Sounds a lot better too.

omfgzilla

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
z4
Don't overthink it. Just go catless. Deal with the CEL and smell, which is not bad at all imo. EZ swapping back to OEM for emissions readiness. CEL goes away after ~30 miles of driving maybe more. Sound is a bit louder but still tame in normal mode and idle, cops still haven't pulled me over. Cold start is loud but not obnoxious then goes back to OEMish at idle.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
Currently rocking an AA catted but have any Armytrix catless at the house waiting for me when I get bored one day lol.

OldHead-MKV-Owner

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22' Supra, 95' 300ZX SMZ, 22' F150 Limited
Ran an AA catted downpipe with stock exhaust and it's sounded really good to me. Then swapped the exhaust for HKS hi power. Under throttle and above 2000rpm, it was fantastic. WOT just sounded mean. Definitely a drone with the HKS around that 2k mark.

I've since switched to a DAW catt-less dp with true 4" exit and that mates up to ETS 4" exhaust. So I never got a true comparison on catted vs. Catt-less. I will say the catt-less 4" system isn't as loud/deep as the AA/HKS but it sounds more exotic and clean. Plus absolutely ZERO drone.

Meraki Autoworks

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.merakiautoworks.com
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
I wouldn't say a little louder, its a big difference. + catless smell & CEL, if you don't mind then, its fun time!

-Josh

Batmo

First Name
Saajan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2022 Ram 1500 Sport
isnt there a thread that recommends not going catless for manual ?
I thought that was maybe about a guy over boosting on a catless downpipe. At least back in my STI days that was a symptom of driving it in cold weather due to increased air density, but idk how the supra's operate catless in the winter.

Awales74

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Mazda 6
I know I'm arguing with the wind... Reasons to keep your cat... At least a high flow cat.

What sounds cool inside the car is loud outside. The reason why the AA sounded cool but now you want more is because the AA sounded loader than OEM. That means your cool is actually based on the delta and not the sound. So your going to get louder and be meh with it in a few months.

Smell. No it's not bad because you get nose blind to it. When I was a kid, the garage always stunk of gas and that was normal and we were all good with it. But the advent of the cat along with fuel injection removed that smell. Cattless still stinks. Trust me. Talk with a smoker about the smell of cigarette smoke and you'll hear a similar argument. The smoker never admits it's really all that bad.

Performance boost is intangible if you aren't on a track or drag strip. And high flow vs. catless really only becomes apparent at prodigous boost levels. So if you aren't dropping 10k on performance mods and don't mind having the car on jack stands once every month or two then catless really isn't doing anything for you.

Sound quality. Come on. Someone needs to a blind taste test with these things. Your car isn't a musical instrument and this pipe ain't no Stradivarius.

Finally, let's talk about why cats were created and mandated by law on all new cars since like forever. Look at pictures of your favorite city before and after cats were introduced. This isn't some silly liberal new world order conspiracy.

Oh, forgot another one. Ever look at a truck rolling coal and think that guys an a-hole? Ever look at a truck with a Carolina Squat and ask yourself how long that will be around before more laws are written around it? Ever wonder what fuels local legislatures to pass more laws against our hobby? Guys running cattless and straight pipes.. Don't be that guy.

Extreme Power House

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x-ph.com
Car(s)
18 BMW M4, 13 Mustang GT
it's a big difference in volume, but also an increase in raspiness and fuel smell.

If you already have upgraded your exhaust and went with a high-flow catted downpipe, and you still want more sound, catless is the next best option.

STV3

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Ran an AA catted downpipe with stock exhaust and it's sounded really good to me. Then swapped the exhaust for HKS hi power. Under throttle and above 2000rpm, it was fantastic. WOT just sounded mean. Definitely a drone with the HKS around that 2k mark.

I've since switched to a DAW catt-less dp with true 4" exit and that mates up to ETS 4" exhaust. So I never got a true comparison on catted vs. Catt-less. I will say the catt-less 4" system isn't as loud/deep as the AA/HKS but it sounds more exotic and clean. Plus absolutely ZERO drone.
Interesting..... so more or less getting rid of your cat got rid of the drone. Did that drone you had with the HKS set up also cause the plastic in your door panels and stuff to rattle?