Anyone Switched AA Catted Downpipe to Catless?

SooopraSD

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2005 Titan, 1993 Civic, 2003 CBR600RR
I had switched from AA catted to catless with HKS. slightly louder but was not as drastic as I thought. Here’s a small clip.
Sponsored

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI
I thought that was maybe about a guy over boosting on a catless downpipe. At least back in my STI days that was a symptom of driving it in cold weather due to increased air density, but idk how the supra's operate catless in the winter.
@tub54500 @Batmo

Yes, catless does cause overboosting. And also yes, it does affect MT cars worse.

I really wouldn't recommend it unless you are tuning for it, which JB4 can do as well.

i actually have a "stock boost" map on my JB4 just so I can tune out the overboost with wastegate control and run smoothly at stock power level without crazy throttle activity.

At stock power levels, the throttle can mostly control the overboosting from being catless, but could be noticeable in some circumstance. Running a piggyback without wastegate tuning will 100% cause issues.

Batmo

First Name
Saajan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2022 Ram 1500 Sport
@tub54500 @Batmo

Yes, catless does cause overboosting. And also yes, it does affect MT cars worse.

I really wouldn't recommend it unless you are tuning for it, which JB4 can do as well.

i actually have a "stock boost" map on my JB4 just so I can tune out the overboost with wastegate control and run smoothly at stock power level without crazy throttle activity.

At stock power levels, the throttle can mostly control the overboosting from being catless, but could be noticeable in some circumstance. Running a piggyback without wastegate tuning will 100% cause issues.
Back then I just swapped out the up-pipe for a grimmspeed one with an external wastegate to deal with the boost creep and had that tuned for, but I imagine it isn't that simple on the B58? I'd want catless only because I like when the whistles go whoo whooooooo.

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Back then I just swapped out the up-pipe for a grimmspeed one with an external wastegate to deal with the boost creep and had that tuned for, but I imagine it isn't that simple on the B58? I'd want catless only because I like when the whistles go whoo whooooooo.
It is because electronic wastegate on the B58.

Only way is proper tune or JB4 with EWG connector.

Danimal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium 3.0
Stock exhaust for me with catless downpipe and the sound is sublime. Quiet with flap closed, amazing when it’s open and sport mode pops and burbles. It smells bad, but worth it.

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stock exhaust for me with catless downpipe and the sound is sublime. Quiet with flap closed, amazing when it’s open and sport mode pops and burbles. It smells bad, but worth it.
Agreed. I'll probably never buy a catback.

Danimal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium 3.0
Oh, and turbine noise 🤤

Extreme Power House

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x-ph.com
Car(s)
18 BMW M4, 13 Mustang GT
If you want the max sound without upgrading the exhaust, catless is the way to go but of course you have to deal with the fuel smell and CEL.

I like catted better, the midrange has more volume and the high rpm sound is clean. the raspy catless sound is not for me.

OldHead-MKV-Owner

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22' Supra, 95' 300ZX SMZ, 22' F150 Limited
Interesting..... so more or less getting rid of your cat got rid of the drone. Did that drone you had with the HKS set up also cause the plastic in your door panels and stuff to rattle?
I'm one of the lucky ones. I literally have zero rattles... never had any in the car. The closest thing I have to a rattle are, the sub grilles on certain songs and there used to be a clicking noise coming from the rear springs when I lowered the car. Fixed that with a coil sleeve.

CafeRacerQueen

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Daniela
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
‘20 M4 CS, ‘24 GR Supra 45th LE
I'm over here with a AA catted downpipe AND AA catback, and every time I drive it, I wish it had some more volume and scream when you're on the throttle. I know that as soon as I decide to tune it, it's going catless. I know everyone is different, but catless turbo cars are just nowhere as loud as n/a cars were. Maybe eight years with a cammed, catless FBO LS2 GTO broke my sense of what's loud and what's LOUD.
Sponsored