AC Compressor Delete?

smithers0990

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra (NASA ST3/E0)
Is anyone making or designing an AC compressor delete bracket with pulley yet?
Sponsored

OP
OP
smithers0990

smithers0990

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Just posting an update...

If you drive with the refrigerant removed from the system you're going to have a bad day. Turns out the AC compressor does not freewheel like a normal clutch style compressor and one (maybe more) modules need to see pressure in the system or else it will go into a limp mode.

Currently looking into a solution with a 3 series compressor that has a clutch.

OP
OP
smithers0990

smithers0990

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Update: There is a rubber device that is through bolted on the front of the AC compressor pulley. If you remove the nut and pull/pry the rubber out you can re-attach the nut and the pulley will free wheel.

12 second video to show where the rubber lives.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
That's the compressor clutch that enables it to dis/engage per ECU command (throttle percent, pressure in system, etc..)

OP
OP
smithers0990

smithers0990

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That's the compressor clutch that enables it to dis/engage per ECU command (throttle percent, pressure in system, etc..)
Its not a clutch though, it never disengages. The rubber damper tabs physically sit down into the grooves on the pulley and locks it to the shaft when the nut is installed.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
That doesn't make sense. If that were true, then it'd mean compressor is always on, which is not very efficient nor fuel economy friendly.
Newer ones are magnetic, maybe you don't see it engage.
Anyhow could be something else. I've been away from that industry for a while now and purely judging by few words and pictures provided. Meaning, I could have totally misunderstood your post. Anyhow please carry on with your project, I'm interested 3rd party.

OP
OP
smithers0990

smithers0990

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That doesn't make sense. If that were true, then it'd mean compressor is always on, which is not very efficient nor fuel economy friendly.
Newer ones are magnetic, maybe you don't see it engage.
Anyhow could be something else. I've been away from that industry for a while now and purely judging by few words and pictures provided. Meaning, I could have totally misunderstood your post. Anyhow please carry on with your project, I'm interested 3rd party.

It is engaged all the time, that’s why it locked up the compressor while it was it was running without refrigerant.
Terrible design flaw if you ask me...

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
:eek:o_O

Can you take a picture of the label on the compressor? I'm super curious to know make/model now.

OP
OP
smithers0990

smithers0990

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
:eek:o_O

Can you take a picture of the label on the compressor? I'm super curious to know make/model now.
I took those pictures months ago, the compressor is back in the car now. Let me look through some other videos I have, I might be able to find it.

OP
OP
smithers0990

smithers0990

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Final update on compressor issue.

Have completed 3 races at this point (one 3hr and two 8hr races) without issue.
Once the rubber is removed from the front of the compressor it will spin freely.
All 1234yf (refrigerant) has been removed from the system since the issue started on "day one". No limp mode issue either.

OP
OP
smithers0990

smithers0990

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^ how much does it weigh?
I don't think we ever weighed it because we didn't have another solution, we had to have it on the car.

It was roughly the same weight as any other compressor its size. I don't remember it being extra heavy or super light.