Aftermarket intake solid-ness : Specifically HKS enclosed box

Nehpets808

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Turbulence Gray
There are 2 different size pins for the grommets, 2 long and 1 short. At least for the non-box version. I would imagine the pin placement for both would be the same. The shorterpin is for the near (bottom "D")grommet. I'd imagine if the longer pin was in that place there would be some wiggle room.
Capture.PNG
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jmanlevan

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Supra 3.0 MT, '00 4Runner SR5
It's really $1500 for the intake? Eesh.
Yeah! Speed Industry has it on "sale" for that. Listed at $1,900. I know it is SUUUPPPPPEEEERRRR pricey compared to the popular MST, Armaspeed, etc options but I wanted HKS. Definitely not convinced the HKS tax is worth it. Sure does look pretty in the engine bay though. If I were to do it over, I would probably go Armaspeed or try matching up AWE's S-Flo intake with my AWE exhaust. Although that one ain't cheap either.

Screenshot 2024-02-12 at 11.07.45 AM.png

OP
OP
Jmanlevan

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
There are 2 different size grommets, 2 long and 1 short. At least for the non-box version. I would imagine the grommet place ment for both would be the same. The shorter gromment is for the near (bottom "D") hole. I'd imagine if the longer grommet was in that place there would be some wiggle room.
Capture.PNG
Those were all in the right spots. Just a crazy amount of wiggle room for some reason.

Nehpets808

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Turbulence Gray
Thats really odd. I have the heat shield version and I know it took some force to make sure they were seated all the way down. No wiggle on the shield.

OP
OP
Jmanlevan

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thats really odd. I have the heat shield version and I know it took some force to make sure they were seated all the way down. No wiggle on the shield.
Yeah really weird! And like I said, I know others got it resolved or didn't have issues with theirs. The guy who installed it was puzzled by it too! But we found a solution, I just hope it stays solid and doesn't come loose after some more miles are put on the car. We'll see.

i3igpete

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3.0L 8AT
just to rule it out, you have the grommets with the "funnel" side on top, correct?

i recall seeing one youtube tutorial where the guy put it on upside down.

at 10:25 you should see one on the left side still upside down as he's complaining about the other grommets falling out

OP
OP
Jmanlevan

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
just to rule it out, you have the grommets with the "funnel" side on top, correct?

i recall seeing one youtube tutorial where the guy put it on upside down.

at 10:25 you should see one on the left side still upside down as he's complaining about the other grommets falling out
Mine are opposite of what is shown on his video/this screenshot below. So mine are in the proper orientation, correct?

Screenshot 2024-02-12 at 12.20.25 PM.png

SmilinAssassin

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91 MT
Yeah really weird! And like I said, I know others got it resolved or didn't have issues with theirs. The guy who installed it was puzzled by it too! But we found a solution, I just hope it stays solid and doesn't come loose after some more miles are put on the car. We'll see.
I ordered mine from the same shop, so I’ll let you know how the install turns out. Thanks ahead of time if I need the workaround.
My son works on a speck E46 race team, so we will be installing it ourselves.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
I still think something is not installed correctly. I have next to no give. Only the "lid"/ top wiggles a bit.

OP
OP
Jmanlevan

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I still think something is not installed correctly. I have next to no give. Only the "lid"/ top wiggles a bit.
We ran through it together, it looks correct to me and it is way more solid now and the top only has a very slight wiggle, not the whole box.

kevinsnoodlehouse

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra Premium MT Stratosphere Blue
No fitment issues with mine, except with that rubber circular boot that closes up the top lid and the bottom box. I could not get that thing on for the life of me.

OP
OP
Jmanlevan

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
No fitment issues with mine, except with that rubber circular boot that closes up the top lid and the bottom box. I could not get that thing on for the life of me.
Dude! he mentioned that was a pain in the ass for him too. And it was loose like the rest of the box when I brought it back to him this morning
Sponsored