Bad (diffrent smell) and white clouds

wolf_kyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 GR Supra, 1996 NA Miata, 2014 Camry SE
Ok, so i dont really drive my supra as much, i got it early June of this year. currently have under 1500 miles on it. but the thing is (i think it was about 2 weeks ago) i drove to my friend's house i when i got out of the car, i noticed that the car's exhaust smelled really different, like burnt. not so sure what it could be. then i revved it (parked) and a cloud of white smoke came out momentarily.. but after a couple more drives, nothing really felt different (if any at all).

I have no real mods to my supra other than just few cosmetics stuff. nothing power wise or to the engine.. all i can think of is i changed the air filter to the HKS super air filter. but that shouldnt really do anything, and i checked it after wards and nothing seemed to be wrong. no leaking underneath or on the turbo. so im kind of baffled. always running on 91.

what im thinking is maybe i got a bad batch of gas? still not sure.. could you guys give me any tips or suggestions? if anything im pretty sure i the car should still be under toyota's warranty.

(also thinking i may have a clip of it in my dash cam but not so sure) I also recently went to toyota for an "oil change" since the car's notification told me to "maintenance required 10/2020" pretty sure they didnt even touch the oil or anything. i did run an oil level checked and it said to be right. oh and even after the appointment, the maintenance notification is still there, so they didnt clear it? so im still no sure what it could be..

IMG_2508.jpg
Sponsored

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
Blueish white smoke usually means burnt oil. I hope it is something else. Dealer usually resets the warning message and you should not get it after oil change from dealer. I think you should definitely discuss this with dealer. hope the best for you..

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
White smoke is never a good sign.

Best to have it checked at the next service....

Before that though, best to look at your coolant levels if you can and just look under your engine for anything obvious leaks, etc..

Could be many things(gasket, air intake, etc) and best not to speculate until you have proof.

One speculation:
It could be the new air filter(HKS one looks like white wool??) maybe something broke off and was pulled in to the intake and has combusted incompletely? Double check the air filter for anything obvious, is in tact, etc.

Would be concerned if something was sucked in by this filter.
If you went for oil service at dealer, they should have reset the service message for you ....

Good luck.

Last edited:

a90moe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
Oil is vacuumed through the CCV line and into the intake tract. Makes its way through into the turbo, intercooler,intake mani, engine then out of your exhaust in the form of a cloud

It will do that every once in a while

With higher boost & bigger turbos it's a more common issue

This is what me and others concluded

We need a specialized tech to confirm

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition, Lotus Elise SC, (x2)Honda S2000
Oil is vacuumed through the CCV line and into the intake tract. Makes its way through into the turbo, intercooler,intake mani, engine then out of your exhaust in the form of a cloud

It will do that every once in a while

With higher boost & bigger turbos it's a more common issue

This is what me and others concluded

We need a specialized tech to confirm
This started happening to me when I ran e85 mix and JB4 on high boost. Huge clouds though. Doesn't seem to happen to all the higher power stock turbo tunes though... Any recent info on this theory?

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
This started happening to me when I ran e85 mix and JB4 on high boost. Huge clouds though. Doesn't seem to happen to all the higher power stock turbo tunes though... Any recent info on this theory?
what color is the smoke? White? Bluish? Or Black?

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
what color is the smoke? White? Bluish? Or Black?
It's a bluish white. Smells like burning oil and uncatalyzed exhaust. My S2000 is catless and doesn't have the same oil smell...

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Also, it happened immediately after changing to map5 on the JB4 and running e40. With Map3 it did it less, and with unmixed 93 octane it has almost completely stopped...

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I had the same bluish smoke and it turned out to be my turbo going bad. The seals were leaking oil through and burning into my downpipe. Not saying that’s your issue.
Damn... That would be just my luck after 1300 miles. Were you able to get a warranty replacement (with it without mods)?
Sponsored