Best tire size for street/light track work?

Marsone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ISF, FRS
That'll work out great šŸ‘

I'm currently running 18x10.7 et 38 with 275-35R18 on the stock springs/dampers with SPL parts, F&R swaybars, 15mm spacers all around, and -3.0 degrees of front camber. I didn't want to wait for coilovers, but they are the next mod on my list.

As far as tires, Conti ECF will work out great for street/track duty. They wear very slowly and should provide plenty of cold temperature grip. You're not going to be as fast as you would with "Super 200s" like the Nankang CR-S or the Yokohama A051, but these will be better for street driving.
Forgive my ignorance, but I thought all the old heads advised against running spacers on track? Does it really not matter?
Sponsored

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 VW Tiguan, 2007 Cayman
Forgive my ignorance, but I thought all the old heads advised against running spacers on track? Does it really not matter?
It's important to have high quality hub centric spacers. I'm using Motorsport Hardware 15mm. They are not cheap lol. Jackie Ding and others have used them on track.

They are a temporary solution until I buy coilovers to improve my inboard clearance. My main concern using them over the long term is the increased side loading on the wheel bearings reducing their life.

Marsone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ISF, FRS
It's important to have high quality hub centric spacers. I'm using Motorsport Hardware 15mm. They are not cheap lol. Jackie Ding and others have used them on track.

They are a temporary solution until I buy coilovers to improve my inboard clearance. My main concern using them over the long term is the increased side loading on the wheel bearings reducing their life.
Gotcha, thanks. I know the oem struts are decently optimized for track work, so Iā€™m not in a rush to get rid of them, so Iā€™m definitely considering going that route.

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Gotcha, thanks. I know the oem struts are decently optimized for track work, so Iā€™m not in a rush to get rid of them, so Iā€™m definitely considering going that route.
I am really enjoying the car with the stock struts/springs, SPL goodies, and upgraded sway bars. I also upgraded my pads/lines/fluid and did an MC brace. Feels very OEM+ on the street, and it's a drastic improvement on the track.

Just a good track alignment some rear toe-in and -3 degrees of front camber with the SPL parts transforms the car.

I'm also looking forward to coilovers and I'm trying to decide between MCS and Ohlins, but I'm not in a huge rush. The car feels great now. The spacers are a little too pokey for my preference with the wider/different offset wheels. They do look tits with the OEM wheels. :cool:

I'd like to bring the car down just a touch to reduce the fender gap with the 275-35R18 tires I'm running. Ohlins or MCS recommended height will do that well I think.

Marsone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ISF, FRS
I am really enjoying the car with the stock struts/springs, SPL goodies, and upgraded sway bars. I also upgraded my pads/lines/fluid and did an MC brace. Feels very OEM+ on the street, and it's a drastic improvement on the track.

Just a good track alignment some rear toe-in and -3 degrees of front camber with the SPL parts transforms the car.

I'm also looking forward to coilovers and I'm trying to decide between MCS and Ohlins, but I'm not in a huge rush. The car feels great now. The spacers are a little too pokey for my preference with the wider/different offset wheels. They do look tits with the OEM wheels. :cool:

I'd like to bring the car down just a touch to reduce the fender gap with the 275-35R18 tires I'm running. Ohlins or MCS recommended height will do that well I think.
Sounds like Iā€™ll be going down a similar route to you. Let me know how you like whatever suspension you end up with. Iā€™ll be tackling the brake pedal feel as soon as I get the new pads/fluids in.

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sounds like Iā€™ll be going down a similar route to you. Let me know how you like whatever suspension you end up with. Iā€™ll be tackling the brake pedal feel as soon as I get the new pads/fluids in.
I went with the Project-Ī¼ Clubracer pads, Castrol SRF, and Goodridge stainless lines. So far I am very impressed with the pedal feel, street manors, and heat capacity at the track. The pads definitely needed a 20 minute session to bed in, even after some bedding on the street. Initial bite at temperature is nicely improved over stock. They feel very linear and it's easy to feel the threshold of ABS/grip. No problems with overheating after 25 minutes of serious track driving.

Marsone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ISF, FRS
I went with the Project-Ī¼ Clubracer pads, Castrol SRF, and Goodridge stainless lines. So far I am very impressed with the pedal feel, street manors, and heat capacity at the track. The pads definitely needed a 20 minute session to bed in, even after some bedding on the street. Initial bite at temperature is nicely improved over stock. They feel very linear and it's easy to feel the threshold of ABS/grip. No problems with overheating after 25 minutes of serious track driving.
Very nice. Would you say the MCB increased the amount of pressure required to brake? Iā€™m actually looking for a significantly stiffer brake pedal feel, if possible. I do not prefer the sensitive/touchy setup. For my feet, it makes it much more difficult to heel toe when not braking aggressively, as you never need to get too deep in the pedal with the stock brake feel.

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very nice. Would you say the MCB increased the amount of pressure required to brake? Iā€™m actually looking for a significantly stiffer brake pedal feel, if possible. I do not prefer the sensitive/touchy setup. For my feet, it makes it much more difficult to heel toe when not braking aggressively, as you never need to get too deep in the pedal with the stock brake feel.
You're describing the reason why people put GT3 master cylinders in Caymans. šŸ˜†

The master cylinder brace more controls over travel of the brake pedal. It basically eliminates the firewall deflection when you really push on the brakes. I suppose it would make the pedal feel tighter at full compression.

The stainless lines have tightened up the pedal quite a bit.

I completely understand what you're asking and I think you would like these mods.

Marsone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ISF, FRS
You're describing the reason why people put GT3 master cylinders in Caymans. šŸ˜†

The master cylinder brace more controls over travel of the brake pedal. It basically eliminates the firewall deflection when you really push on the brakes. I suppose it would make the pedal feel tighter at full compression.

The stainless lines have tightened up the pedal quite a bit.

I completely understand what you're asking and I think you would like these mods.
Thank you! People look at me like I have 3 heads whenever I tell them the pedal box/brake feel of the 86 is much better than the Supra, at least for my preferences on track. Good info, thank you!
Sponsored