Brake pad replacement

Musicmovesme

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV
Hey does anyone have any suggestions for getting the glue off the pads if you haven’t tracked the car IE heated up the glue? Any suggestions on how to separate the pad from the piston? Thanks
Sponsored

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
Hey does anyone have any suggestions for getting the glue off the pads if you haven’t tracked the car IE heated up the glue? Any suggestions on how to separate the pad from the piston? Thanks
I suggest using a durable thin metal putty tool with a wood handle … wedging it between the pad and inner edge of the caliper. Tap the end of the handle gently with a small hammer until the glue lets loose.

OP
OP
Musicmovesme

Musicmovesme

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV
Yeah the rubber ring was my concern. I didn’t want to rough it up and cause a bigger problem. I wonder if I use a heat gun then try if that would help so I don’t mess up the rubber rings on the pistons?

Gr_supramk5

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0L Premium
Yeah the rubber ring was my concern. I didn’t want to rough it up and cause a bigger problem. I wonder if I use a heat gun then try if that would help so I don’t mess up the rubber rings on the pistons?
you can try, I'm not sure how you'll be able to fit it in there. ill drop a link to a video I saw that helped.

using his method to push back the pistons gave me enough clearance to get a gap big enough to give me confidence to wedge it out.

OP
OP
Musicmovesme

Musicmovesme

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV
Yeah that guy had quite a bit of wear and had been tracked. I may have to pass LOL
Sponsored