Braking problems

songbong

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 370z, 2021 MKV Supra
Hey guys, I just got my '21 MKV supra a little over a month ago and have been loving it, unfortunately I rear ended someone today. I was behind another car maybe a good 2-3 car lengths and we were already slowing down pulling up to a light, going 20-25mph max. He was already stopped at light, and I was already braking way ahead trying to stop. For some reason this triggers my emergency braking and I feel it stop and start jerking me forward multiple times. I put both feet on my brake even trying to stop it from going any further but it wouldn't. Fortunately his car was completely fine, and mine was the only one that got scratched up and a tiny dent.

I experienced the emergency braking before and it completely stop my car and I don't understand why it freaked out like that. just want to know what happened and if this happened to anyone else. I haven't done anything to my car other than using the bimmercode app to change simple settings like the warning sounds and video in motion settings.
Sponsored

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
You pressed on the brake pedal with BOTH feet? Are you saying your car kept trying to accelerate even though you pressed hard on the brake pedal? As in another case of unintended acceleration? Toyota and other car companies have had complaints about this before.

If this truly happened it would be a very serious issue and recalled. Toyota and the dealer will most certainly investigate this. So might NHTSA.

I would imagine the car's black box recorded date from the incident. Take it to the dealer. You face a possible dilemma though. The problem is you might have or might not have done something with the Bimmercode app unintentionally? Be prepared for some questions about what you did.

Makes me wonder about drive-by-wire and all the other tech in these cars?

Last edited:
OP
OP
songbong

songbong

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Are you saying your car kept trying to accelerate even though you pressed hard on the brake pedal? As in unintended acceleration?
I don't know it seemed like it was braking and then letting go I guess which jerked me forward , because I was using both feet on the brake at this point

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
I don't know it seemed like it was braking and then letting go I guess which jerked me forward , because I was using both feet on the brake at this point
Did you definitely have both feet on the brake pedal while the car was still trying to accelerate? OR were you possibly moving faster then you thought and braking suddenly? Maybe what you felt was the ABS brakes pulsing/pumping?

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
I am not saying it's your fault. Possible driver / software error or not, you need to bring it in to get checked asap. It might be a software glitch or something. They might even tell you to not drive it in and to have it towed.

OP
OP
songbong

songbong

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Did you definitely have both feet on the brake pedal while the car was still trying to accelerate? OR were you possibly moving faster then you thought and braking suddenly? Maybe what you felt was the ABS brakes pulsing/pumping?
Feet were definitely on the brakes, I have a dash cam and I went back and looked at it , and I was coming to a full stop and then all of a sudden you see my car jerk and you hear the emergency braking , and then I hit the guy. It says I was going maybe 40 before I slowed down to 16mph when we were pulling up to the light.

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
Go in a parking lot and try to repeat
He's going to need a donor object in front of him to activate his braking. I would not mess with it if it really happened like he said. The dealer will tell him to not drive it and tow it in if he tells them what he posted here. Claims of unintended acceleration are not new and bad press for car companies. They take it very seriously. The last thing they need is a 385hp 2 ton car potentially injuring someone.

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
Feet were definitely on the brakes, I have a dash cam and I went back and looked at it , and I was coming to a full stop and then all of a sudden you see my car jerk and you hear the emergency braking , and then I hit the guy. It says I was going maybe 40 before I slowed down to 16mph when we were pulling up to the light.
You have a dash cam recording of the entire incident? Make copies and don't erase anything. I would NOT drive the car anymore. Park it. The last thing you want to do is drive it and have it happen again and injure someone. Contact the dealer right away. Document everything. Use email so you have a paper trail.

OP
OP
songbong

songbong

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You have a dash cam recording of the entire incident? Make copies and don't erase anything. I would NOT drive the car anymore. Park it. The last thing you want to do is drive it and have it happen again and injure someone. Contact the dealer right away. Document everything. Use email so you have a paper trail.
Yeah I saved the video and working on contacting my dealership now

6round

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium
Hey guys, I just got my '21 MKV supra a little over a month ago and have been loving it, unfortunately I rear ended someone today. I was behind another car maybe a good 2-3 car lengths and we were already slowing down pulling up to a light, going 20-25mph max. He was already stopped at light, and I was already braking way ahead trying to stop. For some reason this triggers my emergency braking and I feel it stop and start jerking me forward multiple times. I put both feet on my brake even trying to stop it from going any further but it wouldn't. Fortunately his car was completely fine, and mine was the only one that got scratched up and a tiny dent.

I experienced the emergency braking before and it completely stop my car and I don't understand why it freaked out like that. just want to know what happened and if this happened to anyone else. I haven't done anything to my car other than using the bimmercode app to change simple settings like the warning sounds and video in motion settings.
This has actually happened to me before. My hand slipped and I was in manual mode without knowing it—so when I stopped for the light I was still jerking forward even while slamming as hard as I could on the brakes. Thankfully no one was in front of me but I ended up half a car over the line.

OP
OP
songbong

songbong

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This has actually happened to me before. My hand slipped and I was in manual mode without knowing it—so when I stopped for the light I was still jerking forward even while slamming as hard as I could on the brakes. Thankfully no one was in front of me but I ended up half a car over the line.
Hmmm, I wasn't in manual mode though

Grendel-13

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 2015 BMW 435xi
What were the weather conditions like? Were the roads dry? Also what was the intervention distance set to on the car. That's weird that it did that. I hope the damage wasn't bad in the front. It will be interesting to know if they car figure out what caused this. I turned the steering intervention off because it was fighting me trying to get into a right turn lane, it thought I was going off the road over the white line. Sorry to hear this happen to you car.

OP
OP
songbong

songbong

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What were the weather conditions like? Were the roads dry? Also what was the intervention distance set to on the car. That's weird that it did that. I hope the damage wasn't bad in the front. It will be interesting to know if they car figure out what caused this. I turned the steering intervention off because it was fighting me trying to get into a right turn lane, it thought I was going off the road over the white line. Sorry to hear this happen to you car.
Roads were dry , no rain, the distance was set to medium, damage not too bad I suppose. Hoping it's all just scratched up paint.

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
Great you have a actual dash cam video.

Cars can be fixed or replaced. Important thing is no one was hurt. Keep us posted.
Sponsored