*BREAKING* Worldwide Release of the BMW S58 Engine 473 HP-503 HP!!

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
Successful i8?while Toyota has the Prius, the Mirai, and the CHR
The motor wasn't around from 2012-2014
No CHR hybrid for the U.S though. Who know if it wasn't available during that time frame. Rumors already started swirling back in '17. The meeting between BMW and Toyota was for the Z4 and Supra platform and the B58 engine. Not taking away anything from the B58 but as I mentioned, BMW did not need Toyota. BMW knows how to build sports cars, Toyota does not.

BMW S58 Engine In New M3 And X3 M Expected To Develop 475 HP
26 Dec 2017, 16:44 UTC ·
by Mircea Panait
mircea-panait-64.jpg

"Introduced in 2014, the S55 will transition to the S58 for the next generation of the M3 and M4, an engine based on the B58 3.0-liter i6. And according to BMWBlog.com, expect an output of “around 470-475 horsepower.”

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/2020-bmw-m3-g80-rumors-1832356745

Production is predicted to begin in late 2020 with three tiers of M3: Pure, Base, and Competition. The engine will be the new S58 engine, which is the M version of the current B58 inline six. (Information on the S58 here)

Pure

“Pure” will have 444 horsepower and the drive train will offer real wheel drive with a manual transmission. The wheels will be staggered, with 18 inch front wheels and 19 inch rear wheels. Optional 19 inch front wheels and 20 inch rear wheels will be available. Note: This badging is not unprecedented as it is already available via BMW Australia.

Base

“Base” will have 475 horsepower with an xDrive drivetrain fitted to a ZF automatic transmission. Not the current Getrag DCT, but an automatic with a torque converter. The wheels will be staggered, with 18 inch front wheels and 19 inch rear wheels. Optional 19 inch front wheels and 20 inch rear wheels wheels will be available. Speculation is that the xDrive will be similar to the current M5, in which, it can be rear wheel drive if all the settings are in sport mode.

Competition

The “Competition” model will come out after the Pure and Base cars and will have 500 horsepower. The drivetrain combination is not clear yet. The wheels will be staggered, with 19 inch front wheels and 20 inch rear wheels.
Sponsored

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
No CHR hybrid for the U.S though. Who know if it wasn't available during that time frame. Rumors already started swirling back in '17. The meeting between BMW and Toyota was for the Z4 and Supra platform and the B58 engine. Not taking away anything from the B58 but as I mentioned, BMW did not need Toyota. BMW knows how to build sports cars, Toyota does not.
Toyota has the 86, what does BMW have..the M2?

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
In 2011/2012 BMW did not have anything but a concept, let alone a successful car.

People keep saying that Toyota doesn't know how to make sports because they dont make them. Correlation isn't causation. They don't make them because they aren't profitable. They sure as well know how to make a sports car when given the oppurtunity to.

Those teams did not contact with each other. That doesn't mean other teams/individuals didn't communicate to complete other projects, which brings me back to what I said earlier that their partnership extends way beyond these two sports cars..
I've attended the M Track Days @ Thermal, Master The Manual twice, the 991.2 GT3 driving @ PEC L.A and the Lexus Performance Driving School at Fontana. I'll be honest and say that they don't know how to build a sports car...yet. If the RC-F Track Edition is the latest and greatest thing from Toyota in 2019, that's pretty weak.

https://mtrackdays.bmwusa.com/

https://www.porschedriving.com/porsche-experience-center-los-angeles/experiences/driving-experiences

https://lexusperformancedrivingschool.com/

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
I've attended the M Track Days @ Thermal, Master The Manual twice, the 991.2 GT3 driving @ PEC L.A and the Lexus Performance Driving School at Fontana. I'll be honest and say that they don't know how to build a sports car...yet. If the RC-F Track Edition is the latest and greatest thing from Toyota in 2019, that's pretty weak.

https://mtrackdays.bmwusa.com/

https://www.porschedriving.com/porsche-experience-center-los-angeles/experiences/driving-experiences

https://lexusperformancedrivingschool.com/
Like I said above, just because they don't make sports cars doesn't mean they don't know how. I wouldn't consider anything in the Lexus lineup a sports car.

Tada (aka part of Toyota) has proved twice he can build them. 2 for 2 seems like he (aka Toyota) knows how to when given the opportunity

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Let's be real for a sec. BMW did not need Toyota. For what? For R&D on their hybrid tech even though BMW has a successful i8 and Toyota has a boring ass Prius. Also to make their low tier BMW, the Z4 more reliable. :rofl: Toyota has been in a sports car dry spell for decades so they needed help.
Wasn't it BMW that came asking Toyota to build a sports car together? Hybrid technology aside, I believe BMW approached Toyota after the positive feedback from enthusiasts on the GT86....no?

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Dude, put the crack away. :D

I doubt BMW will give the Toyota Supra GRMN an S58 from their M division. The contract is already sealed with the B58 and will have a better tune, more boost, better suspension and more aero.
Money talks and bullshit walks. Auto makers are not very picky nowadays because it all comes down to dollars and cents. It's okay for Toyota to share an entire platform with BMW, but not okay for BMW to share it's higher performance engine with Toyota???

If Toyota will be able to move Supra's with the S58 and be profitable for both BMW and Toyota....you bet we will potentially see a S58 in the MKV.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Wasn't it BMW that came asking Toyota to build a sports car together? Hybrid technology aside, I believe BMW approached Toyota after the positive feedback from enthusiasts on the GT86....no?

In December of last year BMW agreed to supply Toyota with 1.6 litre and 2.0 litre diesel engines to Toyota’s European vehicles beginning in 2014.

The Japanese company said that it was looking to tap into BMW’s expertise in making sports cars. “I am sure working with BMW will enhance Toyota’s ability to make ever better cars,” Mr Toyoda said

https://www.ft.com/content/1ca4578c-c1de-11e1-8e7c-00144feabdc0

BrettS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 gti
Vehicle Showcase
Haven’t you guys learned anything on the internet. The internet has reassured us that the supra is in fact a bmw. So its not a bmw motor going in a Toyota it’s a bmw engine going into a bmw. So it’s all good :rofl:

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Haven’t you guys learned anything on the internet. The internet has reassured us that the supra is in fact a bmw. So its not a bmw motor going in a Toyota it’s a bmw engine going into a bmw. So it’s all good :rofl:
I love me some internet logic:

The internet has told me the car looks like a BMW and that it looks like a baby GT86. Considering that the internet also says the 86 is 100% Subaru, we can conclude Subarus look like BMWs

Death666wish_

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 Mitsubishi lancer 5-speed (out of commission), 1991 Firebird Formula (out of commission), 2008 Toyota Camry

The internet has told me the car looks like a BMW and that it looks like a baby GT86. Considering that the internet also says the 86 is 100% Subaru, we can conclude Subarus look like BMWs
You mean BMWs look like Subarus, since the BMW Supra looks like a BRZ, therefore the Supra looks Japanese, so all is good.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Money talks and bullshit walks. Auto makers are not very picky nowadays because it all comes down to dollars and cents. It's okay for Toyota to share an entire platform with BMW, but not okay for BMW to share it's higher performance engine with Toyota???

If Toyota will be able to move Supra's with the S58 and be profitable for both BMW and Toyota....you bet we will potentially see a S58 in the MKV.
Haha, the Z4 and B58 are already locked in and it's very unlikely that either manufacture would allow an engine change even during a refresh.

A 500hp S58 engine in a little Zupra coupe would completely shut the internet down. However, it's not going to happen. Oh well, what's done is done.

https://jalopnik.com/bmws-new-500-hp-s58-inline-six-should-be-very-interesti-1832589427

• 3.0 liters, but not exactly the same as the B58. The S58 has a slightly larger bore and shorter stroke (84.0/90.0) compared to the B58 (82.0/94.6). Displacement is technically down five cc, and it’s still an undersquare engine. Theoretically the new engine should have room for bigger valves, better breathing, and should be more rev-happy, but we’ll learn more in time.
  • 7,200 RPM redline, up from 7,000 on the B58.
  • Twin-turbo, as opposed to single on the B58. Confusingly, the B58 is a twin-scroll turbo, with two separate sets of exhaust runners independently running into one turbocharger. BMW calls this “TwinPower Turbo.” The S58 also splits the exhaust, but half the cylinders run into one single-scroll turbo and the other half into another. BMW also calls this, and I cannot stress how dumb this is, “TwinPower Turbo.”
  • Compression ratio down to 9.3:1 versus the B58’s 11:1. This sounds bad to people obsessed with naturally-aspirated engines, but makes sense to those familiar with running boost.
  • 473 HP and 442 lb-ft of torque in base trim.
  • 503 HP in Competition trim, also with 442 lb-ft of torque.
  • According to the BMW USA media site, max power is made from 5,600 to 7,300 RPM (this is, oddly, above redline) in base trim and 5,950 to 7,300 RPM in Comp trim, though it’s worth noting that the spec pages on the global media site say max power occurs at 6,250 RPM (the bump in the plots below could explain this).
  • Max torque is made from 2,600 to 5,600 in the X3 M and X4 M, but 2,600 to 5,950 in the Competition models.
    • BMW advertises a forged crankshaft on the S58, as well as Valvetronic variable valve timing and Double-VANOS variable cam timing, but the B58 also has a forged crank and Valvetronic and also Double-VANOS, as noted when the B58 won an award back in 2016.
    • The S58 is a closed-deck engine, just like the B58 and also like the Toyota 2JZ. Closed-deck blocks have metal all the way around the cylinder bore rather than open cooling jackets, and are thus stronger. Tuners can read that as more boost-friendly.
    • High fuel injection pressure of 350 bar (this is the same as the pressure mentioned in the BMW X5’s B58 specs), which BMW Blog notes offers better fuel distribution and efficiency.
    • New oil pan with more chambers to keep good oil flow in corners.
    • New intake.
    • New oil cooler.
    • New intercooler that’s “indirect” and doesn’t appear to be mounted right in the middle of the intake as on the B58. Confusingly, BMW also refers to the B58’s intercooler as “indirect,”(likely a reference to the fact that both intercoolers are fed liquid coolant) and it also appears that the S58’s is integrated to some degree, just not right in the middle of things.
    • 3D printing technology used inside the cylinder head. BMW’s a little vague about what this exactly entails, stating in its press release that “the cylinder head has a core manufactured using 3D printing. This additive manufacturing process enables geometric forms to be created that are beyond the capability of conventional metal casting techniques. 3D printing technology has cut the weight of the new engine’s cylinder head core and allows its coolant ducts to be routed in a way that optimizes temperature management.” You can at least see what it looks like in BMW’s production video at about 16 seconds in:

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase

So what your saying is if:

Subaru BRZ = Toyota GT86
Toyota GT86 = Bigger MKV Supra
MKV Supra = BMW Z4

Then, Subaru BRZ = BMW Z4?

I like it!

supraz4

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 BMW i3, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
The X series is 1,000 lbs more heavier though.

Just look at Alfa Stelvio Quadrifoglio and its spec.
About same weight and same HP as X3M. 3.4 sec 0-60 mph.

And also X3 M40i does 0-60 mph in 4.4 sec.
With the power rated at 355hp. X3M has over 100 hp advantage and does 0-60 mph in 4.1 sec?
That's way too low.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Just look at Alfa Stelvio Quadrifoglio and its spec.
About same weight and same HP as X3M. 3.4 sec 0-60 mph.

And also X3 M40i does 0-60 mph in 4.4 sec.
With the power rated at 355hp. X3M has over 100 hp advantage and does 0-60 mph in 4.1 sec?
That's way too low.
That's true. Maybe it's different gearing and V6 that helped it get a 3.4s 0-60.

BMW will also have a Competition package, however. With that, peak torque arrives between 2,600 and 5,950 rpm. Maximum horsepower in the X3 M Competition and X4 M Competition climbs to 503 hp, and is enough to trim the 0-60 mph time to 4.0 seconds.

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
At the first drive of the prototype in Madrid, Supra Assistant Chief Engineer Masayuki Kai said that his team hasn't spoken with anyone from BMW since 2014. That's just two years after the 2012 partnership began.

"We agreed on the packaging," Kai said, "like where is the hip-point of the driver, what's the wheelbase, the width, where's the fuel tank, where's the A-pillar, this was around the middle of 2014... After that we completely separated our team. After that, no communication with each other."
People keep messing up this quote and reading into it and others like it wrong. The non bold part is the writers extrapolation, the quote tells the real story. As someone else pointed out, the teams went their separate ways. People are dreaming if they think 100% development of this car happened in Japan by Toyota after that point. There is a BMW Z4 team, there is a Toyota Supra team and there is a BMW Supra team. BMW is not a make-to-order house, this car was obviously still primarily engineered by BWM. I don't work there so I can't say what percentage was done by whom, but I think its a little naive to think a car built with damn near 100% BMW parts, built in Austria, is largely engineered by Toyota. More like tuned and styled by, and they got to give their input on development of everything going into it. Would love to be proven wrong on this one.
Sponsored