Cannot lock car

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
i just shipped my car cross country and my friend took receipt. He alerted me to my locks not working. both the key fob and the lock button on the door would not engage the actuators. He made sure all the doors and trunk were closed (trunk had to be popped from the trunk button). The car started and drove, there was a message about the fob battery being dead. I ultimately locked the doors remotely using the supraconnect app. Is it really possible that of the fob is dead you cannot lock the door even pressing the button on the door? If that turns out to be the case that is pretty insane.
Sponsored

Grady60

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Toyota Prius Persona Series
i just shipped my car cross country and my friend took receipt. He alerted me to my locks not working. both the key fob and the lock button on the door would not engage the actuators. He made sure all the doors and trunk were closed (trunk had to be popped from the trunk button). The car started and drove, there was a message about the fob battery being dead. I ultimately locked the doors remotely using the supraconnect app. Is it really possible that of the fob is dead you cannot lock the door even pressing the button on the door? If that turns out to be the case that is pretty insane.
Its probably a dead battery in the fob. Its a standard watch battery

OP
OP
Natek

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
Its probably a dead battery in the fob. Its a standard watch battery
no doubt the fob is dead, but i am surprised that disables the lock button on the door itself

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
cannot lock the door even pressing the button on the door?
That is unheard of.:eek:

That gets me thinking about transport and alarm. Does the alarm get triggered during transit. Not sure what triggers it... Don't know if there's a connection with that. Some crazy safety thing? Probably not.

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
That is unheard of.:eek:

That gets me thinking about transport and alarm. Does the alarm get triggered during transit. Not sure what triggers it... Don't know if there's a connection with that. Some crazy safety thing? Probably not.
yes,

if the car is locked during transport, unless in transport mode, the alarm will sound.

OP
OP
Natek

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch

Supramann15

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
You should be able to lock/ unlock the doors with the key if the FOB battery is dead. Iā€™ve tried the key option and it works.

BG500

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Supra
My guess is that if it doesn't recognize the key, which it wan't if the battery is dead it will not lock.
it would make sense and prevent "unauthorized" locking of the car,

OP
OP
Natek

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
i have the other keyfob. when i get out there this weekend i will see what is up

Killswitch24

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
If the key fob is completely dead, the car won't recognize a valid key fob in proximity to allow the door handle functions to work. Like Supramann15 said, the actual metal key should do the trick mechanically. It's funny that there's enough juice in the fob for the push button start to work.

Side note - if the keyfob battery is totally shot, you can place the key against the steering column (where the old school ignition would be) and the engine should be able to be started. Disclaimer I haven't tried this

KellyJoe

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Side note - if the keyfob battery is totally shot, you can place the key against the steering column (where the old school ignition would be) and the engine should be able to be started. Disclaimer I haven't tried this
It's even in the owner's manual... o_O

OP
OP
Natek

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
Unlocking is not the question, we could not get the car LOCKED. Bmw forums say strange things happen when a keyfob battery is low. I know the symptoms were accurately described, they were shared over facetime so i saw it first hand. Hitting that lock button on the door did nothing but the car locked when i sent the command

Supramann15

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
Using the key, I can mechanically lock the car and unlock it. Video doesnā€™t play so I took a couple photos to illustrate.
1D380DA1-30EA-418C-9F68-DF9631C556F6.png
1D380DA1-30EA-418C-9F68-DF9631C556F6.png
9ADCFAF5-FA06-4AAC-B95F-846D1B55AD3E.png
9ADCFAF5-FA06-4AAC-B95F-846D1B55AD3E.png
Sponsored