Is your car excessively burning oil?

• Total voters

Jeonsa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
N/A
This guy got a buy back.

In the comments he said they bought the car back after he was still having issues with the engine replacement because they forgot to install something.

Even then, this oil issue and that throttle hesitation issue will affect these cars long term as far as reliability and value. Kind of surprised they havenā€™t came up with a true fix/recall yet.

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulance Gray
Interesting thread. So many different opinions on break-in and results. Seems that the harder break-ins are having less issues, though. Do you think a hard break-in will yield different HP results? Will be curious to see how my engine runs when I hit 10k miles. Here's a history of how my engine was ran in the first 600 miles:

Miles 7-190 = Dealer drove it to me (not sure what driving habits, but no red-line per my request)
Miles 191-450 = Average driving. Varying RPM, one or two WOT passes on highway
Miles 451-600 = Sent it. Mostly normal driving, hit redline 6-8 times (some by mistake), did multiple pulls on the highway (raced a Mustang GT, was even with him) with 5 minute cooldown cycles in between, did about eight 0-60 launches with a minute in between, and five 1/4 mile runs yesterday.

Still runs great so far and didn't encounter any hiccups! It sounds "smoother" though, from what I noticed. I am trying to book a dyno test to see what it outputs.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Interesting thread. So many different opinions on break-in and results. Seems that the harder break-ins are having less issues, though. Do you think a hard break-in will yield different HP results? Will be curious to see how my engine runs when I hit 10k miles. Here's a history of how my engine was ran in the first 600 miles:

Miles 7-190 = Dealer drove it to me (not sure what driving habits, but no red-line per my request)
Miles 191-450 = Average driving. Varying RPM, one or two WOT passes on highway
Miles 451-600 = Sent it. Mostly normal driving, hit redline 6-8 times (some by mistake), did multiple pulls on the highway (raced a Mustang GT, was even with him) with 5 minute cooldown cycles in between, did about eight 0-60 launches with a minute in between, and five 1/4 mile runs yesterday.

Still runs great so far and didn't encounter any hiccups! It sounds "smoother" though, from what I noticed. I am trying to book a dyno test to see what it outputs.
Sounds like a good start so far. What are your plans for oil changes?

-RJM

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sounds like a good start so far. What are your plans for oil changes?

-RJM
Think so? This is only my third brand new car I bought so I hope the hard break in works well for it. Second brand new car I bought was a 2017 Audi S3. I followed the break in per the manual but ended up replacing the motor, out of pocket, due to a possible bad tune. Probably a factor as to why Iā€™m so worried about how to best break in an engine.

I plan on changing my oil this coming Tuesday to a 5w-30 oil. Iā€™ll probably have between 800-900 miles on it by then. Figured changing it early wonā€™t hurt, especially since Iā€™ve done a pretty hard break in and Iā€™d like to clean the oil.

SupraGR21

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra Premium
I wonder, so many people have mentioned that the B58 is supposed to burn oil if driving aggressive. If one drive very aggressive everyday as in racing down the street and revving all the time, would burning oil at that point be considered normal?

Markysupra

First Name
Marky
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Welp my time frame looks like this
Bought car 18 miles
950 mile road trip , put in sport once or twice after 500 miles all is good. after 1200 miles started ripping it in sport on occasion cuz why not.
2500 miles in 100% oil levels
3000miles I go to 3/4 down , one bar away from min.
4011 miles I get the dreaded message at my min line ( i make appt at dealer)
4100 (today) I get another message saying I need to put oil immediately now its a yellow icon that wont go away, went down one bar below min line ( appt is tomorrow). Oil dropping quick!
Car is completely stock.
I will say I am glad I waited before I slapped on any mods. Will update with dealer report.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
An update and some thoughts: Changed the oil and filter over the weekend at 2700 miles. Had to add 1L up to this point after receiving a minimum oil level warning just past 2500 miles. Actually ended up going with the factory 0w-20 oil (the correct GR Supra oil), as I couldn't find what I wanted to use in-stock locally and of course I agonized about the decision until the last minute. Was reminded that fluids are held in the car until they're not. ? Of course I dropped the plug into the drain pan, too. Rookie mistake! Grabbed a sample and sent it off to Blackstone. The drain plug seemed like it was just barely tightened enough to keep it from rattling out and the factory (silver colored metal - not plastic on the '21) washer was stuck to the oil pan pretty good. Wouldn't have noticed it at all if it were not for reading this forum. Took a screw driver to pop it off. Whatever engineer made the decision to use a 32mm bolt pattern on the oil filter housing (which was waaaaaaay tighter than "hand tight" from the factory) should be fired. I of course didn't have one and it felt like I was taking apart a ship instead of a car when loosening it up.

Popped the drain plug out of the Verus Engineering AOS and it was dry, which I expected at this point. Going to change the oil again around 5500 miles, will monitor consumption, and am planning on using Shell Helix Ultra 5w-30 after much research. Still considering a 5w-40 at some point down the line, but 5w-30 seems like a safe bet at this point. I still consider 1L of consumption of 0w-20 in 2500 miles on these cars normal, and will be fine with this if it keeps happening, but want the extra protection for track work the 5w-30 offers. Hope everyone is enjoying the warmer weather and putting some miles on their car!

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Think Toyota will announce a fix for this eventually? Outside of here and a few other forums, I donā€™t see anything about the issue.

My JB4 is supposed to be coming in today. Iā€™m wondering if I should install it or wait until I hit 3k miles and see if I have the issue.

I wouldnā€™t want Toyota to deny work should the issue arise for me, but from what I hear the JB4 would be hard to detect since the ECU is locked anyways.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Think Toyota will announce a fix for this eventually? Outside of here and a few other forums, I donā€™t see anything about the issue.

My JB4 is supposed to be coming in today. Iā€™m wondering if I should install it or wait until I hit 3k miles and see if I have the issue.

I wouldnā€™t want Toyota to deny work should the issue arise for me, but from what I hear the JB4 would be hard to detect since the ECU is locked anyways.
Based on what's in the manual, and what BMW has said in the past about this "issue" regarding their M and "M-lite" cars, I don't believe they'll see 1L of oil consumption in 2500 miles (especially during burn-in) as a problem. I don't, personally, though I know I'm in the minority on this forum regarding that opinion. Different story for those having a faster rate of consumption - I've seen some report 1L every 500 or 700 miles. That's definitely not normal and we just have to trust that Toyota is working it, will identify an issue, and implement a fix for people who are affected. I'm personally much more concerned about Toyota doing an engine swap on the car than I am with 1L in 2500m of oil consumption.

Lendo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium (sold)

The dealership can definitely detect a JB4 or any other piggyback post uninstall.