Car excessively burning oil?

Is your car excessively burning oil?

• Total voters

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Easily. They look for tables that have been changed and you are now flagged for any warranty work related to powertrain.
What tables are you referring to? With a piggyback solution, I was under the impression that it was undetectable if removed because it was an in-line solution and the ECU was left untouched. I ask this only for my own edification - I'm just running a JB+ at the moment and don't care about the warranty.
Sponsored

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulance Gray
What tables are you referring to? With a piggyback solution, I was under the impression that it was undetectable if removed because it was an in-line solution and the ECU was left untouched. I ask this only for my own edification - I'm just running a JB+ at the moment and don't care about the warranty.
Iā€™d be curious to know how they can technically prove it as well, since the ECU is locked and would be untouched. My initial understanding is that boost values (and maybe some other values?) will read higher than a set limit, so that would be questionable as to why, but couldnā€™t something else cause an issue like that as well?

Iā€™m not knowledgeable enough to understand the technicals of proving it.

Lendo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium (sold)
Don't take my word for it, I'm referencing the information out there on BMW forums.

It's unanimous at this point that piggybacks leave evidence behind.

strohw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 X3M, 2009 987.2, 2021 Supra
This is a quote from Mission Performance in their s58 tune thread from last year.

"Since day one on B58/S58, we have been able to hide the custom firmware so that BMW can not detect it during a scan and that was enough to stay under BMW's radar. But in August, BMW started using DSC/Key/MGU along with few other modules to read out your G force acceleration data. They use that data to detect if your specific vehicle has accelerated faster then it was designed to. So now, as of August, no matter what type of modification you have (flash tune, piggy back, or jet pulling you), you WILL get flagged for tuning.

That being sad, remember that it is BMW's obligation to prove that this specific modification has caused a failure you are trying to fix under warranty before they can deny part of that said warranty. "

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Don't take my word for it, I'm referencing the information out there on BMW forums.

It's unanimous at this point that piggybacks leave evidence behind.
Very interesting.

This is a quote from Mission Performance in their s58 tune thread from last year.

"Since day one on B58/S58, we have been able to hide the custom firmware so that BMW can not detect it during a scan and that was enough to stay under BMW's radar. But in August, BMW started using DSC/Key/MGU along with few other modules to read out your G force acceleration data. They use that data to detect if your specific vehicle has accelerated faster then it was designed to. So now, as of August, no matter what type of modification you have (flash tune, piggy back, or jet pulling you), you WILL get flagged for tuning.

That being sad, remember that it is BMW's obligation to prove that this specific modification has caused a failure you are trying to fix under warranty before they can deny part of that said warranty. "
Even more interesting.

It's really just another shot in the war that's been going on for decades between manufacturers and tuners. Manufacturers rightly don't want to pay if you cause problems by operating your car outside of spec with parts they don't authorize. People want to make their cars faster. With all of the sensors and technology in cars these days, it sounds like they're getting smart about it on the current generation ECUs. I suppose the real lesson here is be prepared to write-off the car if you do any serious tuning of it. It sucks, but it's part of the reason I bought a Toyota Supra to track rather than a Porsche Cayman GT4. Writing off the latter would hurt a whole heck of a lot more and I'd probably just end up in a Supra anyways when I inevitably bin it. ?

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah this is why I didnā€™t want to get a GT4 for the track as well lol. Already had some close calls in my 718 Cayman.

I also always buy track insurance for extra peace of mind

Markysupra

First Name
Marky
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Okay so the service adviser reports he hasn't seen this oil consumption issue with any Supras yet , but brushed it off to the car being turbo charged :rolleyes: . The Supra tech at the dealer topped it off and sent me on my way.My objective to get it reported went well so only time will tell. Hopefully it was a break period consumption.

strohw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 X3M, 2009 987.2, 2021 Supra
Yeah this is why I didnā€™t want to get a GT4 for the track as well lol. Already had some close calls in my 718 Cayman.

I also always buy track insurance for extra peace of mind
Who do you go through for the track insurance?

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Welp my time frame looks like this
Bought car 18 miles
950 mile road trip , put in sport once or twice after 500 miles all is good. after 1200 miles started ripping it in sport on occasion cuz why not.
2500 miles in 100% oil levels
3000miles I go to 3/4 down , one bar away from min.
4011 miles I get the dreaded message at my min line ( i make appt at dealer)
4100 (today) I get another message saying I need to put oil immediately now its a yellow icon that wont go away, went down one bar below min line ( appt is tomorrow). Oil dropping quick!
Car is completely stock.
I will say I am glad I waited before I slapped on any mods. Will update with dealer report.
Was this all on original 0w-20 oil?

-RJM

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
I recommend everyone do a Blackstone oil analysis at every oil change. For just $30 it can offer a wealth of data about your engine. The analysis can be used for early detection on catastrophic failure. Or just peace of mind that everything is OK.

Here is my report for 5w-30 oil after 1800 miles on a 91 octane tune. The oil sample was taken at 3000 total miles. No excessive oil consumption to date.

-RJM

F8EC5D29-5FB5-4A5A-A2C5-D1D18AE57034.jpeg

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Who do you go through for the track insurance?
Hagerty. Itā€™s an agreed value policy so you can put whatever amount you want to cover for your car. Higher values make it more expensive, obviously.

For my Porsche, it was around $340 for a single track day. If you have two track days in a row, it would be about $360 to cover both days. Much better deal.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Okay so the service adviser reports he hasn't seen this oil consumption issue with any Supras yet , but brushed it off to the car being turbo charged :rolleyes: . The Supra tech at the dealer topped it off and sent me on my way.My objective to get it reported went well so only time will tell. Hopefully it was a break period consumption.
On your profile, it says you're in Miami - I assume that's where your dealership is as well? I'd say that's a pretty big sample size.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I recommend everyone do a Blackstone oil analysis at every oil change. For just $30 it can offer a wealth of data about your engine. The analysis can be used for early detection on catastrophic failure. Or just peace of mind that everything is OK.

Here is my report for 5w-30 oil after 1800 miles on a 91 octane tune. The oil sample was taken at 3000 total miles. No excessive oil consumption to date.

-RJM

F8EC5D29-5FB5-4A5A-A2C5-D1D18AE57034.jpeg
Thanks for sharing this. I think it's interesting that the universal averages are based on vehicles with only 5400 miles on them when the B58 has been in production since 2015. I plan on doing this every time I change my oil, like you suggested (excellent advice), but it appears those interested in this data all have either low mileage cars or do it for the first oil change or two during break-in then stop. I hope that average comes up over time so we can see what the norm is for higher-mileage engines.

I wish they had average listed by oil type. It would be interesting to see what the average is for cars running 0w-20, 5w-30, etc. in the same type of motor. Just sort the spreadsheet by multiple columns, Blackstone! :D

Hagerty. Itā€™s an agreed value policy so you can put whatever amount you want to cover for your car. Higher values make it more expensive, obviously.

For my Porsche, it was around $340 for a single track day. If you have two track days in a row, it would be about $360 to cover both days. Much better deal.
I've only had good experiences with Hagerty for this type of insurance. They're a big name in the game. My brother uses them as well, and feels similarly (Nissan 270Z). The caveat is that neither of us have ever had to file a claim. Also, many tracks offer insurance you can buy for the days you are using the facilities. Prices vary widely, but it's worth checking.

Markysupra

First Name
Marky
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
On your profile, it says you're in Miami - I assume that's where your dealership is as well? I'd say that's a pretty big sample size.
Yes alot of Supras down here, I can report as per local group chats im not alone with oil consumption, I believe all are MY21.. But again there is alot of dealers here as well.
Sponsored