Cigarette Lighter Question

SupraDC

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I bought a splitter with the intention of running separate plug ins items...one to the front and one to the rear.
The unit would not turn on.

Does anyone have a splitter that they know works? Or does anyone with more electrical ability (zero) than I know what I should get? Sorry for the basic question!

Cheers
Sponsored

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I bought a splitter with the intention of running separate plug ins items...one to the front and one to the rear.
The unit would not turn on.

Does anyone have a splitter that they know works? Or does anyone with more electrical ability (zero) than I know what I should get? Sorry for the basic question!

Cheers
Hey Mark,

It's likely not the splitter itself, but the length of the plug that goes into the adapter. There are two "shapes" of the plug. One is short and fat, one is a little longer and narrower. The one you have is probably not making a connection with the contacts in the receptical.

Kmj442

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium, '17 RDX, '12 Cooper S
Hey Mark,

It's likely not the splitter itself, but the length of the plug that goes into the adapter. There are two "shapes" of the plug. One is short and fat, one is a little longer and narrower. The one you have is probably not making a connection with the contacts in the receptical.
Either that or the fuse was blown, if you plug in both individual things in the lighter by themselves do they each work correctly? I believe most of them have 20A fuses so thats a good bit a power to blow that fuse. (12V * 20A = 240W)

Reactions: zrk

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Either that or the fuse was blown, if you plug in both individual things in the lighter by themselves do they each work correctly? I believe most of them have 20A fuses so thats a good bit a power to blow that fuse. (12V * 20A = 240W)
Yeah, good call.

OP
OP
SupraDC

SupraDC

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra

Kmj442

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium, '17 RDX, '12 Cooper S
Sounds like what Zach had mentioned about the fit. I would try 2 things:
1: rotate the adapter plug in the car lighter socket, the ground sides may not be 100% around the outside (they should be but haven't looked).
2: bend them out a little bit if you can/want to try to make a connection a bit easier. These are the grounds for the power. the center pin is the +VDC.

OP
OP
SupraDC

SupraDC

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Ok.... so update for anyone in the future.

I am attempting to run to set of the interior LED lights... one to the front seating area and one to the rear to go in the trunk and bar. The splitter above did not work after I tried rotating. I could not adjust the connectors as they only depress.... no way to make them reach further out and make the connection. Confirmed it worked in my audi and bought another brand with the bendable connectors. It worked! Right off the bat...no adjustments.

I can't say for sure, but I wouldn't purchase a cigarette lighter that uses that kind of connection. See the link above. Hope that helps anyone....will have the install done today :)
Sponsored