Clicking coming from front wheel while turning?

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor
After some spirited driving today, I noticed a clicking noise coming from at least my driver side front wheel. I believe I hear it from the passenger side, too, but it's tough to tell.

It occurs when the wheel is loaded from turning, and the clicks pick up with speed.
  • 16k miles
  • Stock suspension
  • 19x9.5 + 25 wheels up front
  • 275/35R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires (stock rears placed on new front wheels)'
I found these threads which appear similar:
- https://www.supramkv.com/threads/clicking-ticking-noise-coming-from-driver-side.6025/
- https://www.supramkv.com/threads/ticking-sound-from-the-front-wheels.14384/
- https://www.supramkv.com/threads/steering-noise.6097/

But I don't see any video clips that match what I'm experiencing.
  • Is this normal?
  • If not, is it a common issue?
  • If it is an issue, is it really problematic or just an annoyance (chock it up to racecar noises...)?

UPDATE (2 days later): Noise no longer exists now that the car has cooled, I guess. Maybe a rock found its way into my tread and worked itself out as the tires cooled? Iā€™ll see if it comes back next time I take it out for some spirited driving.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Any idea what this was? Had the same thing happen to me yesterday.
I have no idea.

It came back once after some similar spirited driving (big slides/donuts; no issues with small slides/donuts), but like my first report, it just ultimately went away shortly after.

Doesnā€™t happen after non-sliding spirited driving, so Iā€™m sure it has something to do with the specific forces of those kinds of maneuvers. But there are no signs of this sound outside of a day or so after those maneuvers, and there are no signs of uneven tread wear or any permanent alteration to the suspension.

I favor counter-clockwise slides, the sound has been from the driverā€™s side front, and my suspension is stock, if that helps identify what could be affected by that specific force.

iisaintii

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Mine started after a hard run through at tail of the dragon. Also completely stock (have BMS 10mm and 13mm spacers f/r though)
Checked lug bolt torque and it was either at spec or tighter.

Once it started it didn't go away for the rest of the drive. Wasn't happening the next morning or since. Have 22k miles on the odometer now. Didn't notice it during my track event (but did that ~7k miles)

OP
OP

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mine started after a hard run through at tail of the dragon. Also completely stock (have BMS 10mm and 13mm spacers f/r though)
Checked lug bolt torque and it was either at spec or tighter.

Once it started it didn't go away for the rest of the drive. Wasn't happening the next morning or since. Have 22k miles on the odometer now. Didn't notice it during my track event (but did that ~7k miles)
Yeah, itā€™s super weird. One would think that something would persist (I mean, Iā€™m glad itā€™s not). Not sure if it matters, but what year is your car? Mine is a 2020.

Rensuhlo

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
'21. I posted a video in another thread of what mine sounds like (a little different than yours)
Hoping it's just the brake issue I have seen the TSB for, but mine is a very uniform ticking...
https://www.supramkv.com/threads/clicking-ticking-noise-coming-from-driver-side.6025/post-295934
Mine is doing the same thing after a spirited drive through the tail of the dragon. I thought it was perhaps the tire rubbing something (275s in front), but I don't see any contact points. Completely stock suspension and brakes. Aftermarket wheels w/o spacers.

Avarela99

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 3.0
My cars been doing the same thing since i mounted my Apex wheels and new tires. Maybe the grippy wider tire in the front has something to do with it
Sponsored