Climate control question - feels like AC turns on even though it's off

consultadrone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I noticed this yesterday! Driving with the windows down (beautifully cool weather here in Central KY) and the climate control on 65, one line on the blower (?), and it felt like the AC was on. Didn't know it would kick it on to dehumidify, but it makes sense. Not knowing how the AC is designed in this case, with it not being belt-driven, does it suck "power" from the motor having it turned on in this car like it would in most?
I believe it's an electrically driven compressor, rather than mechanical so that it specifically does not require the engine to be running in order to work. That way, with all the cars start/stop/remote climate nonsense the AC will continue to function while the engine is off. So I would imagine the system sucks power from the electrical system rather than the power plant hence the enormous battery- but that's just an educated guess.
Sponsored

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
But is it driven off the engine crank? I thought it was driven with an electrical motor so the AC could function with the engine off
Belt driven off the crank. All we have is the alternator and AC pump. Water pump and power steering are electric.

B58_1ffb5903-a9e9-40d2-9fb2-44206c1a4a60_505x.jpg

Reactions: zrk

consultadrone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Belt driven off the crank. All we have is the alternator and AC pump. Water pump and power steering are electric.

B58_1ffb5903-a9e9-40d2-9fb2-44206c1a4a60_505x.jpg
I stand corrected. So, with the engine start/stop feature, I guess the AC compressor doesn't run when the engine is off and the remote comfort climate feature can't actually use the AC to pre-cool the car then. Interesting.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
I stand corrected. So, with the engine start/stop feature, I guess the AC compressor doesn't run when the engine is off and the remote comfort climate feature can't actually use the AC to pre-cool the car then. Interesting.
You are correct. If you use the stop/start feature, it will still work but the engine will kick on when it needs the ac to work. So if you are sitting a light, it will kick the engine on and off as needed to keep the ac blowing cold. Think of it as a halfway working start/stop system haha. The remote climate comfort system does not kick on the ac. It will only vent outside air. So stupid....

consultadrone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
You are correct. If you use the stop/start feature, it will still work but the engine will kick on when it needs the ac to work. So if you are sitting a light, it will kick the engine on and off as needed to keep the ac blowing cold. Think of it as a halfway working start/stop system haha. The remote climate comfort system does not kick on the ac. It will only vent outside air. So stupid....
And here I was giving the thing far more credit than it deserved for being clever. Stupid indeed.

OP
OP

Ground Beef

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Infiniti Q50S Hybrid
And here I was giving the thing far more credit than it deserved for being clever. Stupid indeed.
I've learned so much from a seemingly innocuous question. That's why I love this community!!!