Analysis, Comments & Reactions from the Web about the new Supra

bogglo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus GS
I think we are looking at this car too much from the A80’s perspective. That car made awesome power and it did handle well. But the targa is a floppy noodle and the car is not really known for its handling.

I think the new Supra has a good chance to become a track legend. It has an awesome chassis that fulfills all the basic requirements for sports cars. It also will have support from two different aftermarkets that will likely find ingenious ways to make it faster and handle better.
When you are blind you are blind.

if only they can understand the kind of mindset, and drivers we have 20 years ago is not the same with what we have right now.

LA traffic in 1993 is not LA traffic in 2019
Regulation in 1993 is not the same today
in 1993 the rich drove Automatics the most. flip it in 2019
1993 people owned car, 2019 lease
the list goes on

Last I checked this was benchmarked against a cayman not the A80 not the Z4.
Sponsored

twntrbo03'

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 Supra Turbo Quicksilver ---1993 Supra Turbo Anthracite --- 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4

I still buy my cars :headbang:

We all know it was bechmarked against the cayman, but it's only natural that people are going to compare the car to the previous generation Supra as well

mas921

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Several RWD's
From the A90's launch, i came to realize that way a lot of people can't handle change.
And as much have really, really bad English Comperhension lol

I mean; All the b1tching is answered by the many interviews about the A90.

But who cares for the GR engineers or tada or calty.....internet says its sh1t, it has to be sh1t, some way or another, they dig up ANY reason to justify that prejudice ...(until they see the 669whp B58 dyno on stock internals then they go quite in awe LOL)

bogglo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus GS
I still buy my cars :headbang:

We all know it was bechmarked against the cayman, but it's only natural that people are going to compare the car to the previous generation Supra as well
Well you are one of the very few. And I agree it's natural. I am just trying to let people know there are other things that come to play.

twntrbo03'

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 Supra Turbo Quicksilver ---1993 Supra Turbo Anthracite --- 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4
Well you are one of the very few. And I agree it's natural. I am just trying to let people know there are other things that come to play.
I think it also depends a lot on where you live as well when it comes to leasing vs buying. I think most people know other things come into play, but a lot of the die-hards are somewhat dissapointed, myself included lol. It is what it is and I still think it will be a great little car when push comes to shove.

MT6

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
I think we are looking at this car too much from the A80’s perspective. That car made awesome power and it did handle well. But the targa is a floppy noodle and the car is not really known for its handling.

I think the new Supra has a good chance to become a track legend. It has an awesome chassis that fulfills all the basic requirements for sports cars. It also will have support from two different aftermarkets that will likely find ingenious ways to make it faster and handle better.
What makes you think the A90 will become a "track legend" and has an awesome chassis without any data/evidence? Maybe I'm missing something, but all we have seen so far were "meh" reviews in Spain, the Gazoo A90 race car trailing the field in VLN and a laptime in a japanese magazine that put it behind (not even the highest spec) A80.

Of course it should do way better than the A80 because of better/wider tires, latest engine tech (torque curve), a fast shifting transmission. But maybe the BMW platform isn't as performance oriented as some people think?

"TOYOTA believes that numbers are one thing, but feeling is what really matters." (Toyota Global)

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S

if only they can understand the kind of mindset, and drivers we have 20 years ago is not the same with what we have right now.

LA traffic in 1993 is not LA traffic in 2019
Regulation in 1993 is not the same today
in 1993 the rich drove Automatics the most. flip it in 2019
the list goes on

It's not about being blind. The bar was set really high because of the A80. I'm one of those who are disappointed yet remain optimistic.

-Drivers as in F1? If so Senna would have mopped the floor on F1 drivers of today.
-LA traffic is a cluster fuck due to poor urban planning with the freeway expansion began several years ago.
-Exotics in the 90's were manual, gated to be exact.
-People owned cars in the 90's because they made great cars. There are others factors but technology in the last decade and this generation has gotten accustomed to things disposable. People leased because the market is filled with boring cars.

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
What makes you think the A90 will become a "track legend" and has an awesome chassis without any data/evidence? Maybe I'm missing something, but all we have seen so far were "meh" reviews in Spain, the Gazoo A90 race car trailing the field in VLN and a laptime in a japanese magazine that put it behind (not even the highest spec) A80.

Of course it should do way better than the A80 because of better/wider tires, latest engine tech (torque curve), a fast shifting transmission. But maybe the BMW platform isn't as performance oriented as some people think?

"TOYOTA believes that numbers are one thing, but feeling is what really matters." (Toyota Global)
Man you really have it out for this car don’t you?

First of all I did not claim anything, but that there is a chance. I am saying that because the car can supposedly run a very respectable lap time and because the actual specifications of the chassis are very good meaning that it is likely that it will become a strong basis for future track cars.

Last edited:

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
if only toyota offered it with a MT variant it would have gotten rid of the majority of the hate... i could seriously care less about the numbers game if they threw us this one bone..still confused how they could market this as a feels good sports car with only an automatic...

McWicked

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stutz Bearcat
Vehicle Showcase
if only toyota offered it with a MT variant it would have gotten rid of the majority of the hate...
You think so? I doubt it. I guarantee you when/if Toyota releases a MT version, most of those haters will just move on to the next item on their sh*t list. "Finally got a manual... it's about time! Now when are they gonna do something about those fake vents!"

Last edited:

AsupramkvC

First Name
Gerich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That would be almost as bad as them just trying to save money and lying about their own calibration.
If this BMW engine hasn't met Toyotas reliability standards at power levels >335hp/500Nm, it implies this car has very limited reliable tuning potential.
The Supra is already Toyota’s most powerful car in the lineup(excluding SUVs). The Supra has just been re-launched; and is not yet on sale, but there are a lot of negative comments about the car already. Why not just let the car itself dictate its abilities to perform. I’m sure Toyota has good reasons why the Supra only offers 335hp initially. Don’t worry too much, it’s just the beginning. Toyota always finds a better way. Remember...Akio Toyota said, “Supra is back! Better than ever!”

For me, I think Toyota could save the more powerful version/s for future refresh, or they could just reserve it for the more performance-oriented version/s, or simply just let the aftermarket handle the task.

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
The Supra is already Toyota’s most powerful car in the lineup(excluding SUVs). The Supra has just been re-launched; and is not yet on sale, but there are a lot of negative comments about the car already. Why not just let the car itself dictate its abilities to perform. I’m sure Toyota has good reasons why the Supra only offers 335hp initially. Don’t worry too much, it’s just the beginning. Toyota always finds a better way. Remember...Akio Toyota said, “Supra is back! Better than ever!”

For me, I think Toyota could save the more powerful version/s for future refresh, or they could just reserve it for the more performance-oriented version/s, or simply just let the aftermarket handle the task.
I am going hybrid turbo with meth injection to smoke all the haters :headbang: with the aforementioned 600whp.

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a25949060/new-toyota-supra-should-have-been-suv-crossover/

The New Toyota Supra Should Have Been an SUV
I know that sounds crazy, but there's an historical justification for what I'm saying here.

Malicious compliance. That’s what I think when I see the new Supra. It’s almost like Toyota took everybody’s non-negotiable list of must-have Supra qualities—straight-six engine, turbo power, outrageous styling, BMW-esque dynamic behavior—and delivered them in a manner deliberately calculated to offend pretty much everybody. Then, just to drive the stake the rest of the way into our hearts, the chief engineer tells us that the Supra doesn't have a stick shift because it might impact the Toyota 86 business case. That’s right: the company that sells an astounding total of ten different and unique sport-utility vehicles across two brands says that putting a stick-shift into its $53,000 coupe would somehow damage the sales prospects of its $27,000 coupe. Wasn’t it just a few years ago that Toyota was selling three separate Prius-branded vehicles with extremely similar drivetrains, all priced within a few grand?

I find it impossible to believe that the world’s most competent and best-regarded manufacturer can’t do any better that this Supra. It’s based on a car that very few people find compelling, and it is highly likely to offer a distinctly non-Toyota ownership experience. We’ve already seen this movie with the 86, and it’s not exactly Citizen Kane. It certainly doesn’t help that the Supra looks like a baseball team's bullpen cart from the '70s. What possible reason could it have to exist, other than to prove to the shareholders that people won’t buy a Toyota-branded GT car? I recently read a caustic review of the infamous Captain Beefheart album, Trout Mask Replica, that called it “the record you put on at the end of a party, when you want everybody to go home.” Apparently the sports-car party is coming to an end, because this trout-mask BMW by another name is transparently calculated to send all of us home to our SUVs.

Which is doubly ironic, because if the new Supra followed the precedent set by all four of its predecessors, it would have been an SUV itself. I can hear you getting agitated all the way across the Internet. “Baruth, you spluttering moron,” you’re saying. “All four Supras up to this point have been straight-six-powered, four-seat grand-touring coupes. What possible reason would Toyota have to make the new one an SUV? How could that be part of the Supra tradition?” Don’t worry, I’ll explain.

To understand why the Supra name should have come back on a sport-utility vehicle, you have to set the Wayback Machine for 1978, when the first Celica Supra appeared. The conventional wisdom will tell you that Toyota stretched the nose of the mini-Mustang Celica and dropped in a straight-six to steal buyers from the Nissan 280ZX, but that’s ridiculous. The Z had been in production for almost a decade at that point. If Toyota had wanted to challenge the Z, they’d have done it earlier.

No, the Supra wasn’t a Toyota Z-car—it was a Toyota Cordoba, or a Toyota Monte Carlo. The best contemporaneous source for how popular society viewed the Supra is John Updike’s novel Rabbit Is Rich, which chronicles the life of a Toyota dealer and describes the Supra as “the ultimate Toyota,” a “blue buzzard” loaded with luxury features. It was ruinously expensive, setting a precedent followed by all Supras afterwards, and it prioritized comfort over sporting potential. Compared to the 1978 Supra, the admittedly Brougham-ish 280ZX was a McLaren 675LT, particularly in Turbo form.

Why would Toyota build a Japanese Cordoba? Simple: personal luxury coupes were the SUVs of the late '70s, outselling the plain-Jane sedans on which they were based and commanding massive markups for a minor amount of extra content. The best-selling car in America in 1977 was the Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, sold almost exclusively in personal luxury coupe format. Chrysler’s best-seller was the Cordoba. At one point in 1978, according to an unimpeachable contemporaneous source—my parents—you had to get on a waiting list just to order a new Monte Carlo.

By 1982, however, personal-luxury coupes were showroom poison. The American buyer was in love with the flared fenders and flat nose of the Porsche 924 Carrera GT—so the Supra re-appeared as a Japanese take on the 924 and 944, still sporting a straight-six but very much aping the junior Porsches in all other respects. These are arguably the best and purest Supras; they are a joy to drive at speed and it’s been my distinct pleasure to run one in circle-track racing.

For the yuppie-obsessed mid-Eighties, Toyota reimagined the Supra as a sort of Japanese 633CSi, big and bloated and, even in the conservative US market, blessed with a turbo to counteract the weight. These are charming cars, trading the sharp reflexes of their immediate predecessors for a sense of bank-vault autobahn solidity.

The fourth-generation Supra, heavily venerated now due to an unforgettable role as the alpha performance dog in the first Fast and the Furious film, was just another overweight, overpowered GT cars in a decade filled with them. It didn’t matter if the badge on the back said 928GTS, 850CSi, 3000GT, Z28, or Supra: they all had about 300 horsepower, they all weighed north of 3500 pounds in top trim, and eventually they all became impossible for young people to insure.

Do you see the common thread that connects all four generations? It isn’t the straight six, and it isn’t the general coupe style—it’s how Toyota targeted the Supra brand to whatever type of vehicle successful young people wanted to drive. In 1978, that meant personal luxury. In 1982, it meant 924 clone. In 1989, it meant knockoff 635CSi—and in 1994, it meant joining the club of porky $45,000 quasi-supercars.

So aside from Teslas and Ubers, what are successful young people driving nowadays? You know the answer: sporty SUVs, particularly lifted “four-door-coupes” like the Porsche Macan and BMW X4. The era of sports-car-as-enviable-social-message is long gone. If they remade “Flashdance” in 2019, the steel mill owner would drive a Macan, not a 911SC. Sports cars have the distinct whiff of nerd lately; they are the Tilley Hats of automobiles.

If Toyota wanted the Supra to generate the same level of interest and desire in 2019 as it did in 1978, they should have put it on an SUV platform. I’m thinking a swoopy, low-roof take on the RAV4, perhaps with a V6 hybrid powertrain. Price it at $60,000 and let the wealthy tech crowd descend upon the dealership like the proverbial swarm of locusts. We know this approximate format works because it’s working with the Lexus NX, which has the same kind of enviable demographic support today that the Supra did in 1978. In fact, you can argue that the existence of Lexus makes the Supra brand obsolete; the #Blessed crowd doesn’t visit Toyota dealerships anymore.

A $60,000 RAV4-based Supra probably wouldn’t be great to drive. It wouldn’t inspire any kind of fanatic devotion from Toyota loyalists—but that will probably be true for the Z4-based Supra, and unlike a sports car, a luxury RAV4 Supra might actually sell in measurable numbers. There’s also historical precedent: the first two generations of Supra were just hopped-up versions of everyday Toyotas.

I know you won’t take my word for any of the above. You wanted a “real” Supra, and Toyota built something that meets the basic criteria. The good news, if there is any to be had, is that Toyota already builds a kinda-sorta spiritual successor to the first-gen Supra we all venerate. It’s called the Lexus LC500, and it’s a delightful, occasionally thrilling grand tourer with pure Toyota DNA from wheel bearings to sunroof.

True, it’s not priced like a Supra, which has traditionally shadowed the MSRP of a well-equipped Corvette—but it is also the most stylish Toyota in history. I saw a lightly used one at a dealer the other day for $75,000, which isn’t that far off what a brand-new Supra with all the options will command. Best of all, it doesn’t have a smidgen of malicious compliance about it. The LC500 has irrational exuberance written all over its Predator face. It’s a real Toyota, it’s real nice, and buying one would be a real good idea. If anybody asks you why you got a V8 luxury car instead of that Internet-famous straight-six baseball-cap-lookin’ Supra, you can just tell them you didn’t want to compete with the 86. How’s that for malicious compliance?

AsupramkvC

First Name
Gerich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Last edited: