Lorre

First Name
Errol
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Type R FK8
Hi everyone,

I've just joined and as this is my first post, I thought it might be a good time to introduce myself.

I have a 2021 Honda Civic Type R and I love everything about it. The chassis, the gearbox, the engine (which I'll touch on in a bit), the control weights are all spot on. I struggle to find a car that does everything better in a package within this price range.

Now, although the engine is really good for a 2.0L turbo, I can't help wanting a larger and more sonorous engine with rear wheel drive.

I've followed the GR Supra's launch back in 2019 but was disappointed that it did not have a manual box available. Needless to say, when the GR Supra was available with a manual box, It certainly got my attention.

I recently got to sample an early light tuned A90 Supra 8AT (exhaust and ECU) and my god! it pulls hard! :eek: I locked it in 5th and accelerated from 50mph to about 70mph and it felt like it pulled a bit harder than my FK8 in 3rd!

It wasn't perfect though. I honestly thought the steering although very sharp and direct was a little lacking in feel and the highway stability wasn't as good as the FK8s.

Now back to the subject:

I've narrowed down to a few choices and thought I could get some opinions.

1) New GR Supra manual (love the looks, love the powertrain, but feels like it doesn't communicate to the driver as clearly as the FK8 - at least during my first initial drive, do you wish it had the S58 or even S55 engine?)

2) F87 M2 competition manual (I would have to buy a pre owned one. Chassis feels more raw from memory, engine is a monster, but I think the Supra's platform might be better if I want to mod - proper sports car platform, M2 being based off the 2 series coupe, and I think the Supra looks more special?)

3) New 718 Caymen 2.0T manual (proper sports car platform, It's a PORSCHE, Porsche dynamics - which seem to be very hard to replicate? But I'll be back to a 4 cylinder which is not what I really want)

I don't need 4 seats and much practicality at the moment because I have a daily runner. I don't really have time for track days now, but might do that in the near future.

Anyone had long term experience with the S55 M engine and the B58 from the Supra?

All opinions welcomed!

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP

Lorre

First Name
Errol
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Type R FK8
Anyone owned a F87 M2 and now a Supra? Keen to know how you feel about both cars from an owner's perspective.