2023 Toyota GR Supra Manual Review Thread!!!

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL

OldHead-MKV-Owner

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22' Supra, 95' 300ZX SMZ, 22' F150 Limited
Totally hijacking this but in a good way @MSport
since you have CustomRom, you should run the Stage 2 MultiMap - Map 3. I don't know why but you'll get better and more consistent timing.
I'm assuming you're running just to standard Stage 2 93 OTS map from the screenshot below

That’s literally the name of the OTS tune 😂.

IMG_4686.png

MSport

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra
Totally hijacking this but in a good way @MSport
since you have CustomRom, you should run the Stage 2 MultiMap - Map 3. I don't know why but you'll get better and more consistent timing.
I'm assuming you're running just to standard Stage 2 93 OTS map from the screenshot below
I’ll take a look

nashcarr

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra 3.0 PMT, 95 Miata, 2016 Lexus IS300 awd
I like it so far compared to my 2.0. I cannot yet decide whether or not the clutch delay bothers me or not. Sometimes I notice it, sometimes I don't. Had I never read about prior to getting the car, I doubt I would have notice. II'll hit 1200 miles tomorrow so I'll need to wind her out past 4500 rpm!

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Your perspective is jaded... the GR86 is a dog regardless of how "fun" it is. The Supra is the "minimum" power level any fun car should have... :)
It's not a jaded perspective at all. I gave an honest assessment for the GR86 and I've driven a lot of different cars over the years. It is not a "dog" to drive. The earlier generation GT86/FR-S/BRZ with the 2.0L FA20D engine... now those are definitely dogs to drive... but the 2022+ version corrected that deficiency with more power and torque where you actually need it in the power-band and by minimizing the earlier engine's torque dip so much that it's a non-issue now.

It doesn't need the 382whp that the Supra has just to be fun. It's not a Supra and it wasn't designed to be.

A factory turbo version would be nice, sure, but Toyota and Subaru weren't ever going to do that. It's intended as a solid, inexpensive, cheap to run, lightweight, decently practical and very fun to drive little sportscar with barebones amenities by today's standards (but which is perfect if you're the kind of person who just wants a simple and focused interior without anything unnecessary).

I hate driving boring cars and that thing definitely isn't boring to drive and is decently quick given its light weight. It's a cheap and fun daily car. The trunk space and fold-down rear seats are very useful too.

....Note that I did not say it was "fast". It isn't and I didn't claim it was. But it is fun to drive and quick enough unlike its 1st gen predecessor. When I want to experience proper "fast" I hop into my turbo car.

If you want proper fast in something new and current... buy a Supra MKV or whatever equivalent power to weight ratio sports/muscle car you might cross shop it with.

The 86 twins would be a blast with 300HP or so.

It's annoying because I feel like they missed the second golden age of horsepower (2010-2020 or so.)

The stars aligned with emissions regulations and tech for big power numbers on almost everything, and what does Subaru (Toyota) do? Wheezing NA "sports" car.

Now that's all going away and the opportunity is lost.

Don't get me wrong, the wheezing NA engine could have been the base model. They needed a top-end trim with forced induction of some kind.

Again... the wheezing version of the 86/BRZ engine is the earlier 2.0L FA20. The 2.4L FA24 isn't a powerhouse by any stretch of the imagination but it isn't wheezy like the older engine in the 1st gen cars.

Toyota and Subaru SHOULD HAVE installed the 2.4L version of the engine back in 2012 but other than that they built the 86/BRZ the way they did because they wanted to offer an inexpensive and affordable and semi-practical RWD driver's car where all the money went where it counts and little else where it didn't.

A Supra MKV with decent options is, before (or without) markups an average $60k+ USD car. A GR86 is, before (or without) markups a $36k or so car. Big difference in price and big difference in terms of what commands the much higher price for the Supra.

You will get your wish though: The 2022+ 2nd gen 86 is going to be short lived due to upcoming stricter emissions regulations in Japan and some other places which the boxer FA24D engine won't be able to meet without major additional investment in a huge revision of some kind and to hybridize it at minimum. And due to upcoming stricter crash safety regulations and new requirements for certain standard active safety equipment the platform architecture itself will no longer be possible to use.

So in a couple of years for certain markets the car as-is will no longer be possible to sell legally. And reworking the existing chassis and engine would cost so much both companies might as well redesign the entire car and driveline for that amount.

So they are. Or at least Toyota is. Test mules running a 90-degree turned version of the GR Yaris G16E-GTS 3-cyl turbo engine (to make it longitudinal for RWD) have already been tested as the new engine... but with some version of hybridization incorporating the electric motor assist in-line with the engine and transmission somehow. Toyota now has a patent for a hybrid gas-electric manual transmission car configuration so that is expected to also be a factor.

And the chassis is supposed to be a heavily lightened, shortened and modified version of the soon to be outgoing current Lexus IS sedan platform architecture (turning it into a 2-door coupe). Those models being RWD and using nearly the same rear differential architecture that the GR86 does you can see where this is all going.

That G16 engine doesn't have trouble passing upcoming stricter emissions regulations for now and the hybridization will help it even more. And Toyota was always going to put that engine into more cars to further amortize its initial development costs. Besides, Toyota's own internal mandate is to standardize hybrid gas-electric throughout the range on any new designs by MY2026.

Target horsepower for the combined system is supposed to be 300hp minimum or possibly more. And they are supposedly going to keep the weight from going up very much after drastically modifying the IS chassis architecture to suit the needs of this model.

Subaru may or may not have their own version of the car after this generation winds down production since it's expected to be 100% Toyota designed model going forward.

So we'll see how well they do with this 3rd generation 86 in a couple of years. It finally will get a turbo... but now with a Toyota engine. And it'll probably cost a bit more than today's $36k USD out the door for a Premium model (assuming you avoid markup).

TLDR: The older 1st gen GT86/FR-S/BRZ cars have the dog engine. I've driven them and can attest. The 2022+ 2nd gen GR86/BRZ engine isn't a dog to drive and is fine. And yes, it's actually fun to drive. But if you want a proper "fast" sportscar with big power then buy an MKV of course as we all know.

Or split the difference and buy a GR Corolla which is much faster but not as fast as a Supra MKV.

Last edited:

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
It's not a jaded perspective at all. I gave an honest assessment for the GR86 and I've driven a lot of different cars over the years. It is not a "dog" to drive. The earlier generation GT86/FR-S/BRZ with the 2.0L FA20D engine... now those are definitely dogs to drive... but the 2022+ version corrected that deficiency with more power and torque where you actually need it in the power-band and by minimizing the earlier engine's torque dip so much that it's a non-issue now.

It doesn't need the 382whp that the Supra has just to be fun. It's not a Supra and it wasn't designed to be.

A factory turbo version would be nice, sure, but Toyota and Subaru weren't ever going to do that. It's intended as a solid, inexpensive, cheap to run, lightweight, decently practical and very fun to drive little sportscar with barebones amenities by today's standards (but which is perfect if you're the kind of person who just wants a simple and focused interior without anything unnecessary).

I hate driving boring cars and that thing definitely isn't boring to drive and is decently quick given its light weight. It's a cheap and fun daily car. The trunk space and fold-down rear seats are very useful too.

....Note that I did not say it was "fast". It isn't and I didn't claim it was. But it is fun to drive and quick enough unlike its 1st gen predecessor. When I want to experience proper "fast" I hop into my turbo car.

If you want proper fast in something new and current... buy a Supra MKV or whatever equivalent power to weight ratio sports/muscle car you might cross shop it with.

Again... the wheezing version of the 86/BRZ engine is the earlier 2.0L FA20. The 2.4L FA24 isn't a powerhouse by any stretch of the imagination but it isn't wheezy like the older engine in the 1st gen cars.

Toyota and Subaru SHOULD HAVE installed the 2.4L version of the engine back in 2012 but other than that they built the 86/BRZ the way they did because they wanted to offer an inexpensive and affordable and semi-practical RWD driver's car where all the money went where it counts and little else where it didn't.

A Supra MKV with decent options is, before (or without) markups an average $60k+ USD car. A GR86 is, before (or without) markups a $36k or so car. Big difference in price and big difference in terms of what commands the much higher price for the Supra.

You will get your wish though: The 2022+ 2nd gen 86 is going to be short lived due to upcoming stricter emissions regulations in Japan and some other places which the boxer FA24D engine won't be able to meet without major additional investment in a huge revision of some kind and to hybridize it at minimum. And due to upcoming stricter crash safety regulations and new requirements for certain standard active safety equipment the platform architecture itself will no longer be possible to use.

So in a couple of years for certain markets the car as-is will no longer be possible to sell legally. And reworking the existing chassis and engine would cost so much both companies might as well redesign the entire car and driveline for that amount.

So they are. Or at least Toyota is. Test mules running a 90-degree turned version of the GR Yaris G16E-GTS 3-cyl turbo engine (to make it longitudinal for RWD) have already been tested as the new engine... but with some version of hybridization incorporating the electric motor assist in-line with the engine and transmission somehow. Toyota now has a patent for a hybrid gas-electric manual transmission car configuration so that is expected to also be a factor.

And the chassis is supposed to be a heavily lightened, shortened and modified version of the soon to be outgoing current Lexus IS sedan platform architecture (turning it into a 2-door coupe). Those models being RWD and using nearly the same rear differential architecture that the GR86 does you can see where this is all going.

That G16 engine doesn't have trouble passing upcoming stricter emissions regulations for now and the hybridization will help it even more. And Toyota was always going to put that engine into more cars to further amortize its initial development costs. Besides, Toyota's own internal mandate is to standardize hybrid gas-electric throughout the range on any new designs by MY2026.

Target horsepower for the combined system is supposed to be 300hp minimum or possibly more. And they are supposedly going to keep the weight from going up very much after drastically modifying the IS chassis architecture to suit the needs of this model.

Subaru may or may not have their own version of the car after this generation winds down production since it's expected to be 100% Toyota designed model going forward.

So we'll see how well they do with this 3rd generation 86 in a couple of years. It finally will get a turbo... but now with a Toyota engine. And it'll probably cost a bit more than today's $36k USD out the door for a Premium model (assuming you avoid markup).

TLDR: The older 1st gen GT86/FR-S/BRZ cars have the dog engine. I've driven them and can attest. The 2022+ 2nd gen GR86/BRZ engine isn't a dog to drive and is fine. And yes, it's actually fun to drive. But if you want a proper "fast" sportscar with big power then buy an MKV of course as we all know.

Or split the difference and buy a GR Corolla which is much faster but not as fast as a Supra MKV.
I think you’re the only guy with responses longer than mine

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
I think you’re the only guy with responses longer than mine
And that's saying something since this is the cut down version that I posted with ;)

I don't regret my purchase one bit. It's a great little daily driver car and it's even decent on fuel economy, as I was coming from a car that gets 12-15mpg city and at best 22-23mpg highway if you stay out of boost.

A factory retrofit Brembo brake caliper kit will be available by the end of the year. The parts have been available from Subaru since 2017 but now it's an official configuration that won't affect your Toyota factory warranty.

However... as I said, when I want to enjoy some serious power I hop into my 2JZ-GTE car ;)

AndyK5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Nitro Yellow MT
Your perspective is jaded... the GR86 is a dog regardless of how "fun" it is. The Supra is the "minimum" power level any fun car should have... :)
The 86 twins would be a blast with 300HP or so.

It's annoying because I feel like they missed the second golden age of horsepower (2010-2020 or so.)

The stars aligned with emissions regulations and tech for big power numbers on almost everything, and what does Subaru (Toyota) do? Wheezing NA "sports" car.

Now that's all going away and the opportunity is lost.

Don't get me wrong, the wheezing NA engine could have been the base model. They needed a top-end trim with forced induction of some kind.

I think you guys and bunch of other are missing the point of GR86 and its variants.

I owned a lot of cars and tracked them all over the last 20 years. specifically in the last 2 years I owned a GR86 (23 track days), a GRC CE (2 track days) and currently have a MT Supra. Disclaimer: I love my Supra and currently getting it sorted for track duty.

In its core a GR86 is a fun car in terms of balance. The chassis, suspension, weight and power all complement each other and you get and incredible feel both on side streets, canyons or the track. It just works beautifully. When you drive a GR 86 you get to drive the car and not the other way around, you get to throw it in to corners, lose the back end, catch it with counter steer and all is just simple and intuitive because the car is light, balanced and its power delivery is in check/linear. Most of you will not be doing that in a Supra, I guarantee it.

If you make the GR86 300Hp by putting the 3cyl turbo in it you get a completely different car, an other great car but the experience is going to be completely different, much closer to Supra where the chassis, suspension and brakes will be overwhelmed by the weight (it'll be ~3100 lb with that motor) and the power. So slow in to a corner, hold it steady mid corner, give er the beans at corner exit and haul ass down the straight away.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
However... as I said, when I want to enjoy some serious power I hop into my 2JZ-GTE car ;)
I think you guys and bunch of other are missing the point of GR86 and its variants.

I owned a lot of cars and tracked them all over the last 20 years. specifically in the last 2 years I owned a GR86 (23 track days), a GRC CE (2 track days) and currently have a MT Supra. Disclaimer: I love my Supra and currently getting it sorted for track duty.

In its core a GR86 is a fun car in terms of balance. The chassis, suspension, weight and power all complement each other and you get and incredible feel both on side streets, canyons or the track. It just works beautifully. When you drive a GR 86 you get to drive the car and not the other way around, you get to throw it in to corners, lose the back end, catch it with counter steer and all is just simple and intuitive because the car is light, balanced and its power delivery is in check/linear. Most of you will not be doing that in a Supra, I guarantee it.

If you make the GR86 300Hp by putting the 3cyl turbo in it you get a completely different car, an other great car but the experience is going to be completely different, much closer to Supra where the chassis, suspension and brakes will be overwhelmed by the weight (it'll be ~3100 lb with that motor) and the power. So slow in to a corner, hold it steady mid corner, give er the beans at corner exit and haul ass down the straight away.
Sounds like my MX5. Loved it & still do! I was actually looking on the Toyota website for a GR86 when my wife said why don’t you just buy a Supra. That was all she wrote 😂

I will say, I think you’ll be surprised at what you can do in this Supra. It’s more nimble than I was expecting. She can dance brother. When’s your 1st track day with her?

Edit: (scrolled up to the top and looked at the title) - Assuming yours is a manual? 😜 There. I‘m back on topic. This is my 1st automatic 😖 (yes that is cringeworthy saying) track car. But I’m surprised in that department too. I never thought an auto could be this much fun on track!! Wish I cold buy a manual for shits and giggles. That would be cool - owning both 🤤
Sponsored